myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Skamania Coves Resort?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Skamania Coves Resort? Reply with quote

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought an RV. Got a 2005 23' Keystone Outback. Used and in immaculate condition for a great price. Planning on going to the gorge this weekend for the maiden voyage. I was originally planning to go to Viento, but my wife found this place

http://www.skamaniacoves.com/resort-overview.php

It's called Skamania Coves Resort. It's about a mile East of Stevenson. Supposedly right on the water with direct windsurfing access. Looks nice. Has anybody ever sailed there? How is it?
Thanks,
-Jim

Last edited by Jim.od3 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the E wind is just right you could get out with a little swimming. Used to be tent camping only or day use in the cove? The idling trains may disturb you. I've stayed there but anyplace is better for sailing.
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no good for west wind?
westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go there expecting to sail. Maryhill or Peach Beach weather permitting would be comfortable for sailing and the family??? Sailing from the Home Valley campground would be less impossible than Skamania Coves. We never sailed there (SC)when friends either owned the place or just lived there.
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll try staying there this weekend, but I'll plan on doing my sailing elsewhere. We'll try Peach Beach next. I've been there once and it looks like a great setup for camping.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your primary interest right now is breaking in the camper (otherwise you'd weigh the forecasts when choosing weekends and locations). I think that's a good idea, as those first few camping trips can be hectic all by themselves. No need to meet those challenges AND chase wind all at once. Skamania Coves (beautiful) and the weekend wind forecast (blah) fill those squares well, and Stevenson is much closer to you than is Maryhill. That way you're investing the least driving time and hassle while putting your packing lists (and your family's patience) to the test. And if the forecasts improve or it blows despite bad forecasts, you'll have your gear along so at least one of you will have fun even if the camping part turns to crap. Very Happy

Kidding! As you know, there's too much to do in the Gorge to get bored, and it's too late in the year to be stinking hot. Fall in the Gorge usually has incredible weather until about Halloween, when it all turns to total [b]$#!+[/b] overnight except for ducks who ski.
schweitzer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skamania Coves is a pretty spot. once called heroin ally
because of the partying and trash that used to be there.
It was fixed up nice and part of the water area was set up for groups
I used to camp there on the water in the cute, very small cove there.
Above the tracks is where the RV spots are. they are usually filled with long term tenants.
The place was sold and then there was no longer camping
down by the water. I suppose they make too much money off of weddings, etc.
I have done many downwinders out of Home valley, and having camped there,
I can say don't go near the shore there,
The wind line is often way off shore there. However it is a fantastic place to take a canoe.
Please, try to get a spot down by the water, and if you can put it on your list.
don't accept a spot in their 'trailer park' just because it is close to Stevenson
brettn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out grew the cabover camper and have done one trip in a new (to me) 21-foot 5th wheel. Works great. Plus in minutes I can unhook and chase wind in just the truck. Small enough not to kill my gas mileage, big enough to sleep the family of 4 in a pretty luxurious way, at least by Roosevelt standards. Maneuvers super well because it's a 5th wheel. Tows 75mph. Super happy with it so far.

Only downside is parking it at the Hatch on a windy Sunday in July, but I could always park it and put the truck out on the road somewhere.

Has no engine and transmission to need rebuilding. 2200 bucks! Plus I can disconnect and have my truck still for dump runs or whatever else.

Got it down into the Wall. Actually 'wheels' better than the cabover camper, which would lean to the side in a super scary way in any kind of wheelin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: