myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Former Addict, Now a Noob: Mast Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deminimis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Former Addict, Now a Noob: Mast Question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I used to be addicted to sailboarding. Somehow, it went by the wayside some years ago (I allowed school, work, life to get in the way of sailing). Never got rid of my gear. Yes, I've gone over to the dark side, but I'd like to dust off my 90's era relics and get back into sailing. However, I find myself in need of a good mast. Seems all I see from No limitz are skinny masts. Guessing that's pretty much the norm these days, but I dunno. Not about to start from scratch, so looking for a rec for a good non-skinny two piece line of masts (wave). I'm in the Gorge (East), so my good ol' trusty quiver is 3.7-5.2 and I plan on sticking with that (assuming mice didn't get into my quiver bag and eat my sails). Sorry for the Dick and Jane question. Thanks.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question directly, but I can question the validity of your question. After too many long swims and damaged sails with broken ordinary masts, I sold all my masts at one swap meet and bought a quiver of Skinnys. As I don't loop or sail big coastal surf, I expect never to break another mast. The hell with the initial monetary cost; peace of mind matters more to me and in the long term they may be cheaper. That alone makes Skinnys indispensable for me; easier rigging is a bonus.

Dick and Jane
deminimis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ISO. Although I had a Fiberspar become a prickly pear on me, I've never broken a std sized mast (although I've tried). I don't loop and the biggest swell I ever see is at Rufus. Buddy just called me up and seems Chinook has some masts that fit my needs, so going to go that route. As far as re-tooling, that would be nice. However, I just funded a freaking quiver of kites (4.5, 6, 8, 10, 12) and that makes me one poor dude. Thus, I must make do and run what I brung. Thanks again.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the RDM/SDM mast experience /debate seems a mute point here.

SDMs are numerous , as well as Chinook, Sailworks and Powerex sell them, plus many more.

good luck with all those kites

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sail and mast companies still offer standard diameter masts. The real question is what brand of sails are you using, as that will determine the best fit for the sails you've got. While most all masts today can be classified as constant curve, there are sub-classifications that denote what the true bend curve would be. Really, there are three basic design configurations, flex top, hard top and a more balanced constant flex. Check out the following mast selector guide for some perspective.

http://www.unifiber.net/2014/mast-selector

If you are interested in the balanced flex (64 bottom/76 top %), you might want to contact Sailworks in Hood River. They offer 75 (Joystick) and 100% (Lightstick) carbon SDMs.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot the obvious solution to cost vs reward: swap meets and closeouts (esp Windance and 2nd Wind). I've seen top quality masts such as Skinnys (NoLimitz's proprietary name) sell for anywhere from $300 new (cosmetic blems) to $35 (well-used but damage-free) in Hood River. I bought a pile of new Skinnys at half price when a dealer closed shop years ago. You have all winter to look for bargains, and the swaps start in April. You're right about prickly pear masts; they're a swim waiting to happen and carbon splinters are freaking NASTY.
deminimis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your sails will rig well on the masts you buy, it can make a big difference.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the most important comment yet, especially if your sails are old.
deminimis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
That's the most important comment yet, especially if your sails are old.

I prefer the term "vintage ". Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: