myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Former Addict, Now a Noob: Mast Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know where you get another doublewide back strap. I've been looking to replace the one on my RRD for about 4 years now, but can't find anything, so
I'm starting to think about rebuilding it.

-Craig

deminimis wrote:
I gave up the event site/marina 20+ years ago and started hanging out mostly in Rufus (after getting whacked a couple of times by kook masts). That's why it became a time capsule. Now, oddly, I find myself back at the event site learning something completely different. I think I may update the pads/straps and let The Nuggets play with it while I'm busy tangling myself up in lines.
deminimis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Windsurfing is still a blast.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed a West Winds 280 from 1988 until early 1992. It wasn't a factory finished board with the West Winds graphics, but instead it was acquired partially complete less straps and painting, and later completed by an engineer that worked at Windsurfing Hawaii in Santa Barbara. It had two extra wide back straps along a line (like yours but with an added strap behind), but I preferred using the forward one.

Regarding the Windwing sail, if it's a very early 90s model, the sail requires a classic flex top (not a constant curve) like the old Red Powerex carbon masts. I still have a couple of them in storage. North sails of that vintage also used flex top masts.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this whole RDM vs SDM debate is rather sad, at times. advantages and disadvantages get lost in fashion trends, methinks.

if one is habitually careful about gear on the beach, in transport and storage, then durability considerations in the gorge are out the window.

if one is in the surf and tries hard at getting better, than one will get worked by the eventual falls in the impact zone. RDM's best feature.

if one lives and sails flat water or the gorge, switching to RDM's is a needless expense. especially if one sails lower winds, and uses larger sails.

i disagree with Leed about tensioning RDM's more than SDM's. i find the reverse to be true. but, i realize the benefit of having a shaped sail, not a flat one. absolutely flat sails are far less stable than curved ones.

if one has SDm's in the gorge, then one should back burner the decision to go RDM. they just don't allow the same tuning that SDM's allow. i have done the due diligence to make these statements and encourage others to validate.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ji, you and I largely agree, but both of us prefer a lot of power even though we don't share much in the way of body dimensions! Others who prefer a lighter feel may not really take the benefits of a standard diameter mast, namely better stability and higher top speed -especially in larger sizes. That is limited, of course, to most sails that accept std dia masts -like ones tagged RDM/SDM compatible. It's also true that some sails are designed entirely on RDMs and exhibit less ideal characteristics using SDM, if one might even fit inside the sleeve.

I use both SDM and RDM, but RDM exclusively on 6.8 wave and lower. Why? It's what I got. And I like the ability to sail juiced yet able to feather, and an ability get the sail to go flat when sheeting out. Given the extra space an RDM experiences inside the luff tube, I believe the RDM masts offer a better low-end and can actually provide a higher pointing angle for wave sails, but can over sheet more easily.

This debate ended over ten years ago and really isn't much about physics but about factors like durability and perceived handling. SDM masts for big sailors and those who like big rotational lift while RDM gives a softer feel and may offer better performance in limited set of parameters.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like RDMs in the Gorge. I sail Northwaves, and they like RDMs. It's not
fashion. I've broken masts in the Gorge, they were SDMs. Haven't
broken an RDM yet (knock on wood). You can break anything at
any time, but my experience is that RDMs are tougher, no matter
where you sail. All my bases and rig components are setup for RDMs,
and they're just easier to rig.

What's so evil about RDMs in the Gorge?

When I sail in Utah, on my 9.5 Retro, I use a 490 SDM. The sail is designed
for it and it works.

I've sailed my 6.7 (Northwave) in the Gorge with both SDM and RDM. It's more
pumpable, and has a little more low end with an RDM. It's more stable
at the high end with an SDM. Usually when I'm on that sail I'm scrounging
for power, so I prefer the RDM.

When I'm on Maui, all the sails I rent come with RDMs. Must be some
reason for it (other than fashion).

-Craig
deminimis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,
I was dusting off my brain (re: rear Strap). Board came with a pair of straps back there. They were crap. My toes would sometimes thread between the straps, so that's why I wanted a single fat strap. The treasure hunt that followed, landed me the Gaastra (or whatever it is) strap. Found it in a bin of old mis-matched straps a long, long, long time ago at 2nd Wind. Of the current offerings, I can not locate a wide strap. However, some kiteboarding straps might work. Specifically, I think the Dakine Vario board strap might be the ticket:

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for thinking of me,

That is the my exact story as well, right down to the 2nd Wind part.
I've looked at that Kite board strap, but it appears that the fixation part isn't wide enough to support both screw holes on my RRD.
The search continues.

-Craig

deminimis wrote:
Craig,
I was dusting off my brain (re: rear Strap). Board came with a pair of straps back there. They were crap. My toes would sometimes thread between the straps, so that's why I wanted a single fat strap. The treasure hunt that followed, landed me the Gaastra (or whatever it is) strap. Found it in a bin of old mis-matched straps a long, long, long time ago at 2nd Wind. Of the current offerings, I can not locate a wide strap. However, some kiteboarding straps might work. Specifically, I think the Dakine Vario board strap might be the ticket:

deminimis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you could always go full-on hillbilly:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: