myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stolen Gear Alert
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Stolen Gear Alert Reply with quote

Local SF Bay windsurfer, John Newman, had his vehicle stolen last night with all his gear inside in the Glen Park area of SF. Please be on the lookout for his gear which could end up on the open market.

Items of note:

Two custom Nelson boards: one red, one grey... both have his name on it which will probably be scratched out
Two Maui Sails carbon booms 170-230 (older models w/ dark blue grip)
Ezzy Panther LTD sails in red/black color way
NoLimitz masts
DaKine T-6 Harness red w/ blue AirWave back pouch w/ radio

Thanks.

newmans_nelson.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.41 KB
 Viewed:  22030 Time(s)

newmans_nelson.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards

Last edited by kevinkan on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope CA's laws do more to deter such problems than WA's do. Auto thieves get no jail time until their 6th or 7th conviction, and if we use a weapon to protect our property WE go to prison. We can't even walk out and confront or photograph the thieves, and putting a Claymore mine under the driver's seat is frowned on. We're supposed to just bend over and take it.

That reminds me; I want to record all my serial numbers and write or engrave my name on everything not already recorded or marked. Some time this winter ...

Please pass on to us whether his homeowners' insurance helps at all. That may motivate more of us to take greater security measures.
sinusoidal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your loss. Assuming the thieves just wanted the car/truck, the gear might have gone into a dumpster somewhere in the city. Any benefit to contacting the trash haulers for that area?
An ignition kill switch sure seems like a bargain now.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISOBARS: You can photograph ANYONE, ANYWHERE that isn't private, and where they don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy, i.e. their home or fenced back yard. You also can't interfere with the police, although it's perfectly legal to film their actions from a safe distance. You should already know this, aren't you a lawyer?
mthompson156

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that is awful. Talk about not deserving something like that -- John is probably the most friendly guy you'll ever meet at Crissy. Just let me take Big Red out for a spin on a light-wind day last week. Another friend of mine just had his car stolen in Pac Heights a couple weeks ago, surf and fishing gear gone with it. Guess it's time to look into getting a kill switch installed in addition to my alarm, something like this would be absolutely crippling...
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
ISOBARS: You can photograph ANYONE, ANYWHERE

although it's perfectly legal to film their actions from a safe distance.

You should already know this, aren't you a lawyer?

Nope; engineer. But some states do not allow one or both of those actions, and the issue isn't the legality of taking pictures. The issue is that anyone would have to be crazy to confront thieves unless armed, and if that leads to so much as acknowledging that we're armed, let alone brandishing or using a weapon, WE are much more likely to go to prison than are the criminals. If we actually shoot someone in that scenario, even if they attack us with chain saws, we are presumed guilty because we chose confrontation instead of diving into bed and cowering in fear. And even if their lawyer isn't smart enough to know that (he is), the ensuing legal hassles and costs WILL ruin our lives for years to come.

THAT, Rigatoni, is why I so often harp on preventative measures. Stick your head in the sand and and try to stifle relevant advice all you want, but your tune will change when it happens to you.

Last edited by isobars on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its clear Iso is not a lawyer. I doubt he could pass the exam, or any psych testing that so often accompanies the job applications processes. I, however, am a CA lawyer that practices criminal law.

I've said this before, but Iso has ignored it. One cannot use deadly force to protect property. Thus, Iso's wish to install booby traps in his vehicle will land him in jail/prison, should he wind up hurting someone. However, one can use reasonable force to accomplish an arrest. Should the person resist, the force can be escalated accordingly. If the resistance is deadly, then the person making the arrest (to protect their property), can respond likewise. Its not a hard equation to fathom. Its exactly the same paradigm the cops are under.

As far as photos, you can photograph/video anything exposed to public view without liability. Show me a statute that says otherwise.

That said, in CA, car thieves go to at least jail the first time around and prison should they have a prior record. This assumes, of course, a conviction upon competent evidence and proof beyond a reasonable doubt the accused is guilty, or a plea.

That means Iso does not simply get to execute the car thief he catches in the act. Sorry Iso Sad If you feel otherwise, feel free move to another country.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Isobars need to use every post as a platform for a socio-political tirade?

John is quite possibly the nicest guy you will ever come across at the beach. Those custom boards are his pride and joy. Let's hope there is a happy end to this story and that Isobars can keep is 14000 and counting posts "Isolated" in the NW forum.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigs, what part of getting deleted for your false personal attacks do you not understand?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell us, Riggles, how encouraging people to use their voices, keyboards, votes, action, personal involvement, and pocketbooks to deter crime is buffoonery. While you're at it, please tell us how I disparaged John one iota or waxed social-political. Then explain how anything you said helped deter the next such theft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: