myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
OO 2015 79 Ltrs sweet at 3.7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: OO 2015 79 Ltrs sweet at 3.7 Reply with quote

The Wall was the call last Saturday for 3.7 conditions, and the new
OO 7'9" did not disappoint. Maybe it was the sweet smooth swell,
but there was some gust to the wind also, and the 7'9" handled it all with
aplomb. Next experiment will be to see how it carries a 5.7, but that may
have to wait until next Spring, since I'm back in Salt Lake. So far, I'm
liking the ridability, and the range.

-Craig
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Open Ocean Reply with quote

Hey Craig,
If you haven't already, please make sure to give Brian some feedback on your new board. He's pretty stoked about it. We'll be doing the fall/winter update to the Open Ocean website with the new Slasher and Ripper line up soon.
Stay Tooned!

kmf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Craig, could you weigh that 7'9" for me. I am designing a high wind board with Brian and am struggling with bottom shape and construction, ie, Urathane const. vs., his midweight extruded expoxy const, panel "V"vs the double concave shape. I believe that the 7'9" is a midweight epoxy with a divincell bottom and carbon wrap, and it worked so well for me, that I am thinking of using that construction for the small board, ie, a 20.75" wide with a 12.5" tail to use from 4.8 meter down.

I ended up with an old OO from the last swap in that size, 8', 20.75"wide X 12.5" tail, panel "V" bottom, that is so sweet that it is just unbelievable, but it is just beat to death, so I am going to have brian make a new one, with his double concave bottom and a bit more float than the 70 ltr. that the present one is, but I am struggling over the weight and panel "V" vs double concave bottom.

Any thoughts?

Keith at 159 lbs this morning
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

I'd love to measure that weight for you, but I'm 667 miles from that board and will be so for some months (Winter is coming to Utah).
Brian told me that it weighed in at about 16
lbs with straps and fins. It definitely feels light, but weight has never been
an issue with me. At 180 lbs, the 79 ltr, is probably about the same as a
70 ltr for you.

I am not a big fan of the panel to v bottoms on the
older boards, and have always preferred double concaves, but those old v boards really eat chop like no other board. You should really ask Brian
about that boards construction, he remembers everything about his boards.
He did tell me he thought it was one of the toughest bottoms he'd ever constructed, since I have a tendency to land poorly, this is a good thing.

He's got a few later model used boards in the shop, some of which are in
pretty good shape. maybe you should have a look at those, just for grins.

-Craig

kmf wrote:
Hey, Craig, could you weigh that 7'9" for me. I am designing a high wind board with Brian and am struggling with bottom shape and construction, ie, Urathane const. vs., his midweight extruded expoxy const, panel "V"vs the double concave shape. I believe that the 7'9" is a midweight epoxy with a divincell bottom and carbon wrap, and it worked so well for me, that I am thinking of using that construction for the small board, ie, a 20.75" wide with a 12.5" tail to use from 4.8 meter down.

I ended up with an old OO from the last swap in that size, 8', 20.75"wide X 12.5" tail, panel "V" bottom, that is so sweet that it is just unbelievable, but it is just beat to death, so I am going to have brian make a new one, with his double concave bottom and a bit more float than the 70 ltr. that the present one is, but I am struggling over the weight and panel "V" vs double concave bottom.

Any thoughts?

Keith at 159 lbs this morning
kmf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Craig.

The 70 litre weighs 17 lbs straps and fins, It rides real lively, I hate to give that ride up. The 79 you have rode real smoothly when I used it, although it got a bit bouncy for me on a 3.8, as it is quite wide compared to the one I have. I test rode another this week 8'2 X 21.25 wide double concave which rode nice also, but it is 20 lbs, beefed to the max by request, and the manuverablity and livelyness suffers because of the weight. It sure hangs in there when it's totally overpowered tho.....

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: