myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Impact/Flotation Vests
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Impact/Flotation Vests Reply with quote

Anyone have experience on impact vests for windsurfing? I just got back from Maui and decided I might use one on the next big surf event. Would only use one if surf was mast high or more. I'm getting older and not in as good a shape as I should be.

I suspect getting stuck under one's sail would be a big down side.

Best most inconspicuous brand?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the amount of floatation from these is quite minimal, it's helpful for swimming but I don't think it will do much for being stuck under a sail.
For waterstarting with a big sail it's marginally helpful.
When I wear one I never notice it, they also help a lot in keeping you warm.
Fit is critical, it must be snug, but not squeezing you of course.
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worn a Type III from West Marine (Action Reflex) for many years now . I have found that concerns about slowing your swimming speed and getting stuck under sail are not valid, or at least not that relevant. It definitely keeps you warmer, protects ribs from boom impact, provides storage for key safety items, and probably most important from my experience keeps you higher in water throughout waterstart process. I use it in Baja and Hawaii for the latter reason alone - less energy expended during the gear maneuvering, etc. Increased Dork-Quotient of course.....
combs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotion has a line of vests that many wear in the Gorge for all the reasons listed above. And they look good too:

http://site.wetsuit.com/New_Buoyancy_and_Impact_Vests.html
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the archives for many scores of informative posts on the topic. Try key words such as armor, vests, Dakine Matrix, ballistic kevlar, rib protection, as all have appeared in many such threads. Most of my buds have cracked ribs on lakes; it doesn't take waves, just booms. The last time I cracked some -- and I mean LAST, I hope -- I had http://motoxvest.com/ build me a version for windsurfing. It does not get in the way, it provides some vital flotation, I can swim straight down wearing it, and I am certain it has averted injury. A very good and more readily accessible vest is Neal Pryde's High Hook vest at
http://www.bigwinds.com/wind/category/59/product/2695 .
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned several of these impact/float vests over the years and have found that the one by Pro Motion is the best fitting and most comfortable that I have used. It doesn't ride up, is warm, there is no interference with your harness,and it provides just the right amount of extra float. You're not a cork, but you ride high enough in the water to make it extremely comfortable to relax and get it together when down. I don't really need one with smaller sails, but wear one anyway just for the ease of use. The pull over one might be even more user friendly as it has a bit less float. Harder to get on and off tho.

KMF
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve: I have a ProMotion "Kite Vest" that I wear when it's very windy, and have found it to be totally non-restrictive and out of the way. You're welcome to borrow mine at any time to check it out first-hand, it'll fit, we're pretty close in size.
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - I understand wanting protection for ribs, but extra floatation in breaking waves can be deadly. When its big and you are down in the impact zone, your best hope is sinking your sail as deep as you can get it and riding it out until pushed inside, past where the full energy of the waves peak and break. Even if you lose your gear, you still want to be able to dive under the breaking waves.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt: The ProMotion vest doesn't add a lot of floatation, you could easily out-swim it underwater if needed.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, just wondering whether your focus is flotation or impact protection?

On my last day out sailing, I took the boom to my ribs after jump outside. I wasn't a really bad wipeout, but it messed me up a bit. It's almost 3 weeks now, and the soreness and discomfit is finally beginning to back off. Years ago, I seemed much stouter overall. I might have to think about some impact protection over the long term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: