myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter "Fraud" or voter disenfranchisement?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Warning that public confidence in the nation's election system is flagging, a commission headed by former president Jimmy Carter and former secretary of state James A. Baker III today will call for significant changes in how Americans vote, including photo IDs for all voters, verifiable paper trails for electronic voting machines and impartial administration of elections."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/18/AR2005091801364.html

Jimmy Carter chaired the 2005 Commission on Federal Election Reform whose members overwhelmingly recommended voter ID. Carter's Presidency was before my time in this country so perhaps someone can help me to better understand...........was he a racist or just part of a F%#k America campaign?
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
"Warning that public confidence in the nation's election system is flagging, a commission headed by former president Jimmy Carter and former secretary of state James A. Baker III today will call for significant changes in how Americans vote, including photo IDs for all voters, verifiable paper trails for electronic voting machines and impartial administration of elections."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/18/AR2005091801364.html

Jimmy Carter chaired the 2005 Commission on Federal Election Reform whose members overwhelmingly recommended voter ID. Carter's Presidency was before my time in this country so perhaps someone can help me to better understand...........was he a racist or just part of a F%#k America campaign?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/opinion/03carter.html

A Clearer Picture on Voter ID

By JIMMY CARTER and JAMES A. BAKER III
Published: February 3, 2008
THIS is a major election year. Unfortunately, our two major political parties — Democratic and Republican — continue to disagree on some of the rules that apply to the administration of our elections. This divide is perhaps most contentious when the issue becomes one of whether voters should present photo identification to vote.

Enlarge This Image

Harry Campbell
Twenty-seven states require or request some form of ID to vote. Supporters of this policy argue that if voters identify themselves before voting, election fraud will be reduced. Opponents of an ID requirement fear it will disenfranchise voters, especially the poor, members of minority groups and the elderly, who are less likely than other voters to have suitable identification. The debate is polarized because most of the proponents are Republicans and most of the opponents are Democrats.

In 2005, we led a bipartisan Commission on Federal Election Reform and concluded that both parties’ concerns were legitimate — a free and fair election requires both ballot security and full access to voting. We offered a proposal to bridge the partisan divide by suggesting a uniform voter photo ID, based on the federal Real ID Act of 2005, to be phased in over five years. To help with the transition, states would provide free voter photo ID cards for eligible citizens; mobile units would be sent out to provide the IDs and register voters. (Of the 21 members of the commission, only three dissented on the requirement for an ID.)

No state has yet accepted our proposal. What’s more, when it comes to ID laws, confusion reigns. The laws on the books, mainly backed by Republicans, have not made it easy enough for voters to acquire an ID.
At the same time, Democrats have tended to try to block voter ID legislation outright — instead of seeking to revise that legislation to promote accessibility. When lower courts have considered challenges to state laws on the question of access, their decisions have not been consistent. And in too many instances, individual judges have appeared to vote along partisan lines.

Fortunately, the Supreme Court has taken on a case involving a challenge to Indiana’s voter ID law. The court, which heard arguments last month and is expected to render a judgment this term, has the power finally to bring clarity to this crucial issue. A study by American University’s Center for Democracy and Election Management — led by Robert Pastor, who also organized the voting commission — illustrates the problem at hand. The center found that in three states with ID requirements — Indiana, Mississippi and Maryland — only about 1.2 percent of registered voters lacked a photo ID. While the sample was small, and the margin of error was therefore high, we were pleased to see that so few registered voters lacked photo IDs. That was pretty good news.

The bad news, however, was this: While the numbers of registered voters without valid photo IDs were few, the groups least likely to have them were women, African-Americans and Democrats. Surveys in other states, of course, may well present a different result.

We hope the court will approach the challenges posed by the Indiana law in a bipartisan or nonpartisan way. As we stated in our 2005 report, voter ID laws are not a problem in and of themselves. Rather, the current crop of laws are not being phased in gradually and in a fair manner that would increase — not reduce — voter participation. The recent decision by the Department of Homeland Security to delay putting in place the Real ID Act for at least five years suggests that states should move to photo ID requirements gradually and should do more to ensure that free photo IDs are easily available.

The Supreme Court faces a difficult and important decision. If the justices divide along partisan lines, as lower courts have, they would add to the political polarization in the country. We hope that they will find a nonpartisan path that combines both legitimate concerns — ballot security and full access to voting — and underscores the importance of applying these laws in a fair and gradual way. It is also important to remember that our commission’s report addressed other pressing election concerns. There is much more that Congress and state legislatures need to do to improve the electoral process and restore confidence in our democracy. We have outlined 87 such steps in our commission report.

In the meantime, the Supreme Court can lead the way on the voter ID issue. It has the opportunity to inspire the states, our national leaders and the entire country to bridge the partisan divide on a matter that is important to our democracy. It can support voter ID laws that make it easy to vote but tough to cheat.

Jimmy Carter was the 39th president. James A. Baker III was the secretary of state in the George H. W. Bush administration.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I discuss the nasty aspects of the GOP campaign to stop many Americans from voting, they look blank and uncomfortably change back to voter ID.
Carter called for impartial administration of elections.
The effort to make it hard to vote on a dozen fronts is the kind of abuse he is trying resolve.
OK Gybe change the subject back to voter ID, the only part of the Anti vote movement which is defensible.
You need to read this stuff before you post it.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way over his head, again. Thinks he's smarter than everyone--but fails to collect evidence on anything.

But proud of voter suppression. Rationalizing it here. So proud to disenfranchise the poor, not at all concerned that most of them are minorities.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
nw30 wrote:
swchandler wrote:
Just curious about how absentee voters show their photo ID to vote in all elections. I thinking that they probably don't, but techno900, as a former resident of Texas, can comment on this.

Although California doesn't have photo ID requirements to vote in elections, there is a big push right now to encourage registered voters to submit their vote through an absentee ballot. Frankly, I have received documentation by mail from the Democratic party encouraging the use of an absentee ballot, and I have also received two telephone calls following up on the option. Seems to me that this strategy is a practical counter to the Republican's efforts to target and disenfranchise potential voters.

Of course, the bold Republican push for vote ID requirements is specious, because most knowledgeable folks know that voter fraud doesn't really exist statistically. And, we all thought that they were dedicated to eliminating useless regulations. Kind of shows just how twisted up and dishonest the Republican party truly is.

How many absentee ballots does a registered voter get in the mail?
One.
How many times can somebody w/o any ID go into a voting booth to vote?
As many time as he or she can get away with.

Have voted recently? You go your poll. They look your name up, you sign next to your name, they hand you a ballot and put a check next to your name indicating that you voted. How can I vote again? If I tried, I would be told I already voted.

If someone went in before me and fraudulently voted in my place, I would get to vote. One vote per name.

Seriously,,,,,,, I'm looking for some words,,,,,, you obviously have no hint of a criminal mind, no wonder.
You don't try to use the same name twice, only an idiot would do that.
Here's just one way, you've got access to the registrar of voters records somehow, and you've got names of voters that haven't responded or voted in years, you use those names.
That's just for starters.............
I'm still amazed.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
NW ...why you try voting twice next month...I will bet you a brand new wave board of your choice you cant get away with it. You giving the the impression that its easy to vote more than once is very Breitbardt-ish.

You owe James O'keefe a new board. He's a white guy who walked in to Eric Holder's polling place and said he was Eric Holder. They sent him right into the booth....
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty funny. Mrgybe reaches back to 2005 to rationalize the latest Republican efforts to disqualify minority voters. A desperate act? We're supposed to ignore the on-record comments of Republican ops? Maybe we'll use a scary black face, call him a Philadelphia Black Panther, or an Acorn staffer. We won't have to use any racial epithets--our voters will get the message.

Oh, they already did all of those things? They must be so proud. Was that in 2005? No, that Act that mrgybe referenced was in response to the Supreme Court throwing out Democratic votes in the 2000 presidential election.

Let's see the black faces again. Put a gun in their hands. Have them go into the nearest fast food restaurant. No, that was the NRA? They must be so proud. They've convinced themselves that race has nothing to do with their behavior. Their upset they can't convince anyone else.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Jeez, mac ... do you just LIKE pissing contests?

More questions anyone?
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so the fog that the right press has placed in your mind can clear -
If you have access to the polling files and can change them, you do not need anything else to commit voter fraud. Just write in some votes for Cruz or whoever.

If you are a serious criminal who thinks ten votes will get you something, you can get ten picture ID cards online in an hour.

Voter ID is not a way of stopping actual criminals.

There are no actual criminals risking jail for ten votes. You can't win an election that way.
That is why voter fraud is very rare. ID cards will do nothing to stop it in any case.
I noticed every supporter of the Stop the Vote agenda has gone back to voter ID.
How about you Gybe.?You approve longer lines ,shorter hours, harder to register? That work for you?

Last edited by keycocker on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lady just went to jail in Ohio for voting for Obama six (6) times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 4 of 67

Jump to: