myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter "Fraud" or voter disenfranchisement?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
poinster said:
Quote:
How do you feel about a federal photo ID card that you would need to present to apply for a job?

Essentially, a social security card with a photo. Seems fine with me. However, it may be better without the SS number if the nation was to go to a federal I.D. card system.

there is no reason to force a 85 yo to go through this.
http://www.thenation.com/article/north-carolinas-voter-id-law-could-block-218000-registered-voters-from-the-polls/

again they can just compare signatures... I have never heard of a registered voter being told they already voted. Can you show me the numbers where this has happened in any state that a person in large numbers that could effect the outcome of an election was told they already voted?

It is the most fundamental right to democracys, the vote. It is the right of all americans to vote. If you wrongfully or purposefully deny someone that right I think is a bigger crime and should be punished by as I said first one offense misdemeanor and fine. Do it to many people up to life in prison. who is tough on crime? The burden of voting is not on the voter to prove they are entitled when there is no proof of massive vote fraud by in person voting with ID.

what happens in elections where this is made it makes people have to spend 8 hours in line to vote vs the right wing areas that were not targeted.

I am for a paid national holiday in the USA to vote. What should be celebrated more than anything else in the USA? (this will get the right wingers hating going) I am for a paid national holiday to get an ID every year.

again provisional ballot are not usually counted in time for outcomes because they will be challenged. Where a vote is not. and the right wing makes you pledge that it was tto difficult for specific reasons and this was only added after it went to court. their intention was they would not count these people whose ID was not a NRA card.

does NC allow NRA ids but does not allow college student ID's
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article65707942.html

again this was just a primary where the turnout is so low and there were lines for hours, during a general election it will be massive. Which is what the right wing want at poorer areas so they ca tell them it will take you 8 hours to vote and if you leave the line to piss you lose your right to vote.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-voter-id-20160204-story.html
Quote:

Throughout, critics of the new law have questioned why stringent photo identification requirements are needed at all: Voter fraud is exceedingly rare.

North Carolina officials made just two referrals of cases of voter impersonation fraud out of 35 million votes cast in primary and general federal elections between 2000 and 2014, according to Lorraine Minnite, an associate professor of public policy at Rutgers University who testified as an expert witness in the trial.

“Their claims of fraud were fraudulent in and of themselves,” the Rev. William J. Barber II, president of the North Carolina NAACP, said of the state’s case in a conference call Tuesday. “It’s a very smooth way of trying to continue to hold on to the 'solid South' through election and voter suppression and trickery.”

real-human

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Mahr a few good points. lines are a poll tax. that is accurate.

again right wingers show me the numbers of people who tried to vote and were denied because someone stole their vote and impersonated them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmaKi-8L3Q0&ebc=ANyPxKqNpUVqG18bl3BWAyW26t56Jfa-ZAkcLb_JL5odwc4hgSnb8sJ6OL3bxDzenz2mMrSvNw9_nh5uu-F0RiOwCipL2_DnXA&nohtml5=False

real-human

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supreme idiots, there was no idea required when the country was founded. If one is asking the founders intent..

I obviously disagree it was on the record extensive searchers by the federal government by Bush and many states lead to not more than 5 or so per election were ever to be found that a picture ID would have stopped. so it was investigated with vigor by Rove who put it as a top priority. Thus the evidence was there in this case but not in a data basis but in a partisan way that the right wing tried to prove there was but could not give us but a handful per election.

At the same time the funds were not expended at the same rate by the same governments of federal and state to prove that people were not being disenfranchised losing their most american right of democracy to vote.

Hence I say it is to the right wing thieves to prove their debauchery by an overwhelming evidence..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/stevens-says-supreme-court-decision-on-voter-id-was-correct-but-maybe-not-right/2016/05/15/9683c51c-193f-11e6-9e16-2e5a123aac62_story.html?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_politics
Quote:

It was Wood’s question about whether judges should base their decisions only on the record before them — or whether it’s permissible for them to use research they conduct on their own — that led to Stevens’s ruminations.

Indiana was one of the first states to enact a strict photo-ID requirement, which the Republican-controlled legislature said was needed to avoid voter fraud.

[Voters go to polls in states with new voting restrictions]

It did not matter that it could point to no evidence that fraud had occurred, the state argued. The integrity of the voting process is so important that states are allowed to put in safeguards before a problem presents itself, the state contended.

Democrats challenged the provision, saying that although the use of photo ID seems ubiquitous to most, many poor and elderly people were less likely to have the kind of identification that Indiana required. The legislature’s real interest, the challengers said, was discouraging voters who tend to vote Democratic.

But a district court and a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit said the challengers had not proved their case; for one thing, they lacked a compelling portrait of people who had been denied the ability to vote.

(Judge Richard Posner, who wrote the panel’s opinion, has since said that he got it wrong and that the photo-ID requirement is “now widely regarded as a means of voter suppression rather than of fraud prevention.”)

The Supreme Court said in the 2008 case that the lower courts “correctly concluded that the evidence in the record is not sufficient to support a facial attack on the validity of the entire statute.”

When the court decides a law is “facially” unconstitutional, it means the measure could never be applied in a way that would overcome its shortcomings.

Stevens, who was joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, mentioned a dozen times in the opinion that it was based on “the record” in the case.

“I learned a lot of things outside the record that made me very concerned about that statute,” Stevens said in the conversation with Kagan and Wood. “So I had the question: Should I rely on my own research or what’s in the record?”

“And I thought in that case I had a duty to confine myself to what the record did prove, and I thought it did not prove the plaintiffs’ case. And as a result, we ended up with a fairly unfortunate decision.”

real-human

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep a poll tax on hundreds of thousands, these new laws are to stop americans from voting no question about it.

If you ever had a name change because you had divorced parents it is very expensive to nearly impossible. If you were born a long time ago when the poor had their babies at home again nearly impossible for these elderly.

For a student who is poor to have two IDs is almost impossible.

again what was the ID required when the nation was founded. And exactly how many people have complained and filed formally that someone impersonated them and voted and they were not allowed to that a picture ID would have stopped. I have never heard of a single one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/getting-a-photo-id-so-you-can-vote-is-easy-unless-youre-poor-black-latino-or-elderly/2016/05/23/8d5474ec-20f0-11e6-8690-f14ca9de2972_story.html?ncid=newsltushpmg00000003

Getting a photo ID so you can vote is easy. Unless you’re poor, black, Latino or elderly.

Quote:
HOUSTON — In his wallet, Anthony Settles carries an expired Texas identification card, his Social Security card and an old student ID from the University of Houston, where he studied math and physics decades ago. What he does not have is the one thing that he needs to vote this presidential election: a current Texas photo ID.

For Settles to get one of those, his name has to match his birth certificate — and it doesn’t. In 1964, when he was 14, his mother married and changed his last name. After Texas passed a new voter-ID law, officials told Settles he had to show them his name-change certificate from 1964 to qualify for a new identification card to vote.

So with the help of several lawyers, Settles tried to find it, searching records in courthouses in the D.C. area, where he grew up. But they could not find it. To obtain a new document changing his name to the one he has used for 51 years, Settles has to go to court, a process that would cost him more than $250 — more than he is willing to pay.

“It has been a bureaucratic nightmare,” said Settles, 65, a retired engineer. “The intent of this law is to suppress the vote. I feel like I am not wanted in this state.”

Anthony Settles confers with his attorney Abbie Kamin. Settles is trying to overcome the state of Texas' strict voter-ID law. (Photo Courtesy of the Campaign Legal Center )
In November, 17 states will have voting restrictions in place for the first time in a presidential election. Eleven of those states will require their residents to show a photo ID. They include swing states such as Wisconsin and states with large African American and Latino populations, such as North Carolina and Texas. On Tuesday, the entire 15-judge U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit in New Orleans is to begin hearing a case regarding the legality of the Texas law, considered to be the most stringent in the country.

Quote:
A federal court in Texas found that 608,470 registered voters don’t have the forms of identification that the state now requires for voting. For example, residents can vote with their concealed-carry handgun licenses but not their state-issued student university IDs.

Across the country, about 11 percent of Americans do not have government-issued photo identification cards, such as a driver’s license or a passport, according to Wendy Weiser of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law.

real-human

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/05/17/more-than-30-states-offer-online-voting-but-experts-warn-it-isnt-secure/?tid=a_inl

More than 30 states offer online voting, but experts warn it isn’t secure

nw30

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How convenient you reanimated this thread today.
Here's another reason for a simple voter ID law to be passed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CBS2 Investigation Uncovers Votes Being Cast From Grave Year After Year
May 23, 2016 11:20 PM By David Goldstein

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A comparison of records by David Goldstein, investigative reporter for CBS2/KCAL9, has revealed hundreds of so-called dead voters in Southern California, a vast majority of them in Los Angeles County.

“He took a lot of time choosing his candidates,” said Annette Givans of her father, John Cenkner.

Cenkner died in Palmdale in 2003. Despite this, records show that he somehow voted from the grave in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2010.

But he’s not the only one.

CBS2 compared millions of voting records from the California Secretary of State’s office with death records from the Social Security Administration and found hundreds of so-called dead voters.

Specifically, 265 in Southern California and a vast majority of them, 215, in Los Angeles County alone.

The numbers come from state records that show votes were cast in that person’s name after they died. In some cases, Goldstein discovered that they voted year after year.

Across all counties, Goldstein uncovered 32 dead voters who cast ballots in eight elections apiece, including a woman who died in 1988. Records show she somehow voted in 2014, 26 years after she passed away.

It remains unclear how the dead voters voted but 86 were registered Republicans, 146 were Democrats, including Cenkner.

“He’s a diehard Democrat, and I was thinking that if somebody was voting under his name, he’s probably rolling in his grave if they were voting Republican,” Givans said.

She said her dad always voted at the polls, only now records show someone else may be casting his vote.

“It just astounds me. I don’t understand how anybody can get away with that,” she said.

And then there’s Julita Abutin.

Records show she voted in Norwalk in 2014, 2012, 2010 and 2008 though she died in 2006.

Abutin’s daughter, Marivic, says it’s impossible that her mother voted.

But the Los Angeles County Registrar confirms they have signed vote-by-mail envelopes with her mother’s name for the 2014 and 2012 election, though she died 10 years ago.

Edward Carbajal Jr.’s father died in La Puente in 2001 but state records show a vote was cast in his father’s name in eight elections after he passed away.

It’s possible as a junior, election officials mistakenly attributed the vote to his father. There is no way to tell from CBS2’s data but he wonders why his dad is still registered.

“I mean, that should be something that everybody that’s involved with these types of things should know who’s alive and who isn’t,” he said.

The Los Angeles County Registrar told CBS2: “We remove 1200 to 2000 deceased records from the database per month.”

But the news station checked all of the dead voters from LA County on the Registrar’s website and found 212 of the 215 were still registered and eligible to vote in next month’s presidential primary election.

“It’s very troubling because it basically dilutes the voice of the lawful voter,” said Ellen Swensen with the “True the Vote,” a nationwide voter-rights group.

“What it does is every single vote that’s cast by a dead voter actually cancels out a vote of a lawful voter cause if they voted for one candidate and you voted let’s say for another, your vote got canceled out,” she said.

As Goldstein reports, it was all supposed to change after the hanging chads incident in Florida in the 2000 presidential election. Congress passed the Help America Vote Act in 2002, which mandated sweeping reforms, including a statewide voter registration system that would eliminate ineligible voters.

But California is the only state that’s still not compliant with the act. Secretary of State Alex Padilla hopes to have it compliant later this year.

“You’re not supposed to have dead people on the rolls,” said J. Christian Adams, who is with the Public Interest Legal Foundation.

“The problem is California has been the most derelict state in the country in implementing statewide databases that are required under federal law. They just blew it off for over a decade,” said Adams.

And in that decade and more, CBS2 found hundreds of votes on the state’s own database cast for people who have died, like Cenkner.

“It’s very said that people can just take somebody’s name and go out and vote for them,” said Givans.

Los Angeles County supervisors are expected to call for a full investigation Tuesday as a result of this story.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/05/23/cbs2-investigation-uncovers-votes-being-cast-from-grave-year-after-year/
real-human

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
How convenient you reanimated this thread today.
Here's another reason for a simple voter ID law to be passed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CBS2 Investigation Uncovers Votes Being Cast From Grave Year After Year
May 23, 2016 11:20 PM By David Goldstein

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A comparison of records by David Goldstein, investigative reporter for CBS2/KCAL9, has revealed hundreds of so-called dead voters in Southern California, a vast majority of them in Los Angeles County.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/05/23/cbs2-investigation-uncovers-votes-being-cast-from-grave-year-after-year/

those would be mainly people who knew they died, ie people inside the political party running the election. So id can not stop this fraud. and again causing any american the right to vote in the numbers of millions vs 200 cases of internal corruption that does not effect an elections outcome.

Remember a signature is required to get the ballot from the polling place in some-many states. They do check signatures in many. Where i vote they do. But if you have a corrupt official it does not matter about the signature check or the ID check.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/voter-verification-without-id-documents.aspx

Last edited by real-human on Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
real-human

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again dems have proposed a national ID card, not mandatory but free if you want it. I believe the problem is they are not getting across is it is not mandatory. Many people do not want such a strong ID with biometrics. and has the second benefit it takes the employer off the hook for hiring people that are not legal to work. the right wing rejects this approach. this was 2010 and was proposed under Bush too.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/95235-democrats-spark-alarm-with-call-for-national-id-card

Dems spark alarm with call for national ID card

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/national-id-card-voter-fraud-solution

The Quick Way to End the Vote-Fraud Wars? A National ID Card

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=7765
Quote:
All eight defendants in Clay County, Kentucky's election fraud trial have been found guilty today by a federal jury. Six of those eight were high-ranking election officials, including the county clerk, a circuit judge and the school superintendent. The conspirators were charged with having manipulated federal elections in 2002, 2004 and 2006 by buying and selling votes and manipulating electronic voting machines.

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.mx/2012/05/voter-fraud-republican-style-meet.html
Voter Fraud-- Republican Style: Meet Thaddeus McCotter... Again

Quote:
So this year McCotter turned in hundreds of illegitimate signatures to get on the ballot. Michigan requires 1,000 but only 244 of McCotter's were valid!

Last edited by real-human on Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
real-human

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the indiana sec of state republican was convicted of vote fraud last year.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57372176-503544/indiana-sec-of-state-convicted-of-voter-fraud/
Quote:
Indiana Secretary of State Charlie White -- the man charged with upholding election integrity in Indiana -- was convicted of six felonies on Saturday, including three counts of voter fraud, two counts of perjury and one count of theft.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/167217/voter-fraud-fraud
Quote:
Number two: Indiana’s voter ID law, passed in 2008 and the model for the nine states that have adoptedsimilar laws since the 2010 election, did nothing to prevent the alleged signature fraud, nor did it stop Indiana’s Republican Secretary of State, Charlie White, from committing felony voter fraud in the 2010 election

A major probe by the Justice Department between 2002 and 2007 failed to prosecute a single person for going to the polls and impersonating an eligible voter, which the anti-fraud laws are supposedly designed to stop. Out of the 300 million votes cast in that period, federal prosecutors convicted only 86 people for voter fraud – and many of the cases involved immigrants and former felons who were simply unaware of their ineligibility.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2012/04/voter_suppression.htmlIn
Quote:
fact, three years after first prioritizing election fraud in 2002, Ashcroft’s efforts had produced only 95 defendants charged with election-fraud, compared to 80,424 criminal cases concluded in a given year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28/roxanne-rubin_n_2566297.html
Quote:
A Nevada Republican arrested for voter fraud in the 2012 election, after claiming she was trying to test the system's integrity, pled guilty and accepted a plea deal Thursday, forcing her to pay almost $2,500 and promise to stay out of trouble.
Roxanne Rubin, 56, a casino worker on the Las Vegas Strip, was arrested on Nov. 3, 2012 after trying to vote twice, once at her poling site in Henderson and then at a second site in Las Vegas. The poll workers at the second site said that she had already voted, but Rubin said that she hadn't and insisted on casting a ballot, which the poll workers refused to allow her to do.

real-human

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember the guy who sucker punched a protester at a trump rally, the one trump said he would pay his legal fees.

The guy worked off government military contracts.

He was convicted of voting in two states not long ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 18 of 68

Jump to: