myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter "Fraud" or voter disenfranchisement?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
youwindsurf wrote:
nw30 wrote:
swchandler wrote:
Just curious about how absentee voters show their photo ID to vote in all elections. I thinking that they probably don't, but techno900, as a former resident of Texas, can comment on this.

Although California doesn't have photo ID requirements to vote in elections, there is a big push right now to encourage registered voters to submit their vote through an absentee ballot. Frankly, I have received documentation by mail from the Democratic party encouraging the use of an absentee ballot, and I have also received two telephone calls following up on the option. Seems to me that this strategy is a practical counter to the Republican's efforts to target and disenfranchise potential voters.

Of course, the bold Republican push for vote ID requirements is specious, because most knowledgeable folks know that voter fraud doesn't really exist statistically. And, we all thought that they were dedicated to eliminating useless regulations. Kind of shows just how twisted up and dishonest the Republican party truly is.

How many absentee ballots does a registered voter get in the mail?
One.
How many times can somebody w/o any ID go into a voting booth to vote?
As many time as he or she can get away with.

Have voted recently? You go your poll. They look your name up, you sign next to your name, they hand you a ballot and put a check next to your name indicating that you voted. How can I vote again? If I tried, I would be told I already voted.

If someone went in before me and fraudulently voted in my place, I would get to vote. One vote per name.

Seriously,,,,,,, I'm looking for some words,,,,,, you obviously have no hint of a criminal mind, no wonder.
You don't try to use the same name twice, only an idiot would do that.
Here's just one way, you've got access to the registrar of voters records somehow, and you've got names of voters that haven't responded or voted in years, you use those names.
That's just for starters.............
I'm still amazed.

Seriously, I'm looking for some words. Oh, look - I found some.

You obviously think like a criminal, and not a very bright one. What you are referring to is known as "voter impersonation." I'm amazed that you think an identification card will stop impersonation. If the criminal can somehow come up with voter records, surely they can somehow make fake ID cards to match the name of the person they want to vote in place of. Only an idiot would try to commit the crime of impersonation without a fake voter ID card. That's just for starters.

I'm still amazed that you think a ID card will prevent someone bent on committing voter fraud. It won't.

Back to the dumb criminal mind. What is the reward for the person who commits a crime by voting multiple times? Is the risk worth the reward? 5 years and $10,000 for each offense. How many people would it take to change the outcome of an election? Now you talking about a conspiracy and the criminal penalties increase.

Well, that was just one brilliant example. What is your next one?
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
A lady just went to jail in Ohio for voting for Obama six (6) times.

She was a poll worker. Voter ID will not stop fraud from being committed by those on the inside.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cut to the chase youwindsurf, 'voter fraud does not happen, it's impossible, if it's not an inside job', is that what you are trying to say or think?
Insider fraud is exactly what I'm talking about, voter I.D. followed by a stamp in the register, after you vote, will go a long way to preventing that.
About 90% of voter fraud is on the inside.
Different states have different ways to try to prevent that, and some states are really bad at it.
What is so fu(king hard about asking all voters to have a fu(king I.D.!?!
They can be free!!!!!!!!!!!!!
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, you appear to be dodging the fake ID possibilities available to would be criminals. Why is that?

You raise the idea of criminals committing voter fraud, but one has to wonder what the payoff would be for them. It appears that your imagination and tin hat paranoia is getting the better of you. Statistically, voter fraud is non-existant, and you can't prove otherwise.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently my short version of the voter fraud rate got nowhere. Let's try the long version, echoed in many studies.

Voter Fraud: Non-Existent Problem or Election-Threatening Epidemic?
Sept. 12, 2012
By AMY BINGHAM via World News

Reyna Almanza and her son strolled into the Progreso, Texas, school board election in 2009 just like 1,100 of their neighbors, cast their ballots and left. But hours later Almanza took her son back to the polls, where he used his incarcerated brother's name to vote a second time, breaking election laws and landing both mother and son in court.

It is that kind of voter fraud that Texas' voter ID law, which was struck down in federal court last month, and similar laws passed in eight states over the past two years were written to prevent. But voter impersonation cases like Almanza's, who is serving 5 years of probation for illegal voting, are the exception, not the norm.

Over the past decade Texas has convicted 51 people of voter fraud, according the state's Attorney General Greg Abbott. Only four of those cases were for voter impersonation, the only type of voter fraud that voter ID laws prevent.

Nationwide that rate of voter impersonation is even lower.

Out of the 197 million votes cast for federal candidates between 2002 and 2005, only 40 voters were indicted for voter fraud, according to a Department of Justice study outlined during a 2006 Congressional hearing. Only 26 of those cases, or about .00000013 percent of the votes cast, resulted in convictions or guilty pleas.

But the push for voter ID laws is not all about preventing fraud, said Pennsylvania state Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, who sponsored his state's voter ID law.

"The driving factor is common sense," [Does that justify the cost?]Metcalfe told ABC News. "It only makes sense that when you show up to vote, to exercise that very important right and responsibility, that you prove you are who you claim."

Metcalfe said the number of voter fraud cases that are prosecuted are only a sliver of the fraud taking place because there is no system in place to detect fraud. [Valid point.] His voter ID law aims to do just that.

But opponents of the law claim that it is trying to solve a nonexistent problem.

"The point here is that people just don't do that," Lorraine Minnite, an associate professor of public policy at Rutgers University-Camden, said of committing voter fraud. "It just doesn't make sense." [What? Sure it does.]

Minnite said there is little to no motivation for voters to attempt to impersonate someone else at the polls or for non-citizens to try and cast a ballot, a right reserved only for citizens. The price for that one vote is up to 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 for citizens and could mean deportation for immigrants. [Yeah ... right.]

That's exactly what happened to Usman Ali, a Pakistani immigrant who had lived in the United States as a permanent resident for 20 years. Ali checked the "yes" box to register to vote while applying for a driver's license in Florida.

Although he never tried to vote, Ali was deported back to Pakistan for allegedly committing voter fraud.

"What are the costs for non-citizens to cast ballots and what are the benefits? It doesn't add up," said Minnite, who testified against Pennsylvania's voter ID law. "The costs are very high and the benefits are practically non-existent."

Tracy Campbell, a history professor at the University of Kentucky who studies voter fraud in past elections, said contemporary voter ID laws are trying to solve a problem that hasn't existed in over a century.

"This would prevent you from going to the polls and claiming that you're Mary Smith so you vote as Mary Smith then you come back later and vote as Mary Joan," Campbell said. "Repeating was a problem a century ago and these laws would have been good for that, but it's a non-event now."

In trying to solve that problem, critics say, the new voter ID laws could disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters who cannot obtain the necessary documents. In Pennsylvania, where Metcalfe's voter ID law will be in effect for the November election, at least 90,000 eligible voters did not have an ID that met the law's requirements to vote, according to initial estimates by the Pennsylvania Department of State. [Anyone incapable of having an ID delivered to their front door or cardboard box has no business voting, on the larger scale.]

But Metcalfe said he does not think the voter ID law will prevent people from going to the polls.

"With every right comes a responsibility," the Pennsylvania lawmaker said. "There is a responsibility now in Pennsylvania that goes along with being able to vote and that is when you show up on Election Day to have that photo ID." [Exactly.]

But then there's Senate bowel movement Al Franken, whose election fraud guilt was as certain as OJ Simpson's.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Just cut to the chase youwindsurf, 'voter fraud does not happen, it's impossible, if it's not an inside job', is that what you are trying to say or think?
Insider fraud is exactly what I'm talking about, voter I.D. followed by a stamp in the register, after you vote, will go a long way to preventing that.
About 90% of voter fraud is on the inside.
Different states have different ways to try to prevent that, and some states are really bad at it.
What is so fu(king hard about asking all voters to have a fu(king I.D.!?!
They can be free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow just wow...............

Seriously.....................

I am at a loss for words......................

Only an idiot.........................

I'm still amazed.................

Here is the mechanism used for the attempted fraud in Ohio:

"Richardson’s fraud was spotted when other poll workers noticed absentee ballots coming in with her handwriting on them. That included three ballots from a relative of hers who had been in a coma since 2003."

How did she get a hold of three ballots used for one person? Maybe because she worked in the polling place and had access to all the ballots she could get her hands on?

Tell me Shark Bait how is a voter ID going to stop absentee ballot fraud? How will it stop fraud being committed by someone on the inside using their position to circumvent the security which you believe is afforded by a voter ID?

It appears that you agree with Jimmy Carter - "...states would provide free voter photo ID cards for eligible citizens; mobile units would be sent out to provide the IDs and register voters." Who would have thought you would be in favor of expanding government. Wow just wow............
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
NW30, you appear to be dodging the fake ID possibilities available to would be criminals. Why is that?

You raise the idea of criminals committing voter fraud, but one has to wonder what the payoff would be for them. It appears that your imagination and tin hat paranoia is getting the better of you. Statistically, voter fraud is non-existant, and you can't prove otherwise.

I'm not dodging anything, just because I haven't mentioned that does not qualify as a dodge. What, you want me to cover everything?
Tamper proof ID's can be made, I've got one now, it's called my driver's license, and anyone who knows how to check them can tell.
There I covered it.
Lets not forget, in the last 2 presidential races, there were several districts, mostly in Illinois and Pennsylvania, I believe, they had 100% voting for BHO, 100%, that never happens, for anybody or anything, when large numbers are involved.

But while on other ways to commit fraud, where's another one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chicagoland voting machine casts candidate’s vote for his Dem opponent

October 21, 2014

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – Admitting his confidence in Cook County ballot integrity is shaken, State Representative Candidate Jim Moynihan (R-56), was shocked today when he tried to cast a vote for himself and the voting machine cast it for his opponent instead.

“While early voting at the Schaumburg Public Library today, I tried to cast a vote for myself and instead it cast the vote for my opponent,” said Moynihan. “You could imagine my surprise as the same thing happened with a number of races when I tried to vote for a Republican and the machine registered a vote for a Democrat.”

While using a touch screen voting machine in Schaumburg, Moynihan voted for several races on the ballot, only to find that whenever he voted for a Republican candidate, the machine registered the vote for a Democrat in the same race. He notified the election judge at his polling place and demonstrated that it continued to cast a vote for the opposing candidate’s party. Moynihan was eventually allowed to vote for Republican candidates, including his own race. It is unknown if the machine in question (#008958) has been removed from service or is still in operation.

“Clearly, I am concerned that citizens will be unable to vote for the candidate of their choice, especially if they are in a hurry and do not double check their ballot,” added Moynihan. “I cannot say whether or not this was intentional, but Cook County voters deserve better and should not have their right to vote suppressed.”

The 56th District covers portions of Schaumburg, Bartlett, Elk Grove Village, Hoffman Estates, Hanover Park, Palatine, Rolling Meadows, and Roselle.

http://eagnews.org/chicagoland-voting-machine-casts-candidates-vote-for-his-dem-opponent-2/
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Lets not forget, in the last 2 presidential races, there were several districts, mostly in Illinois and Pennsylvania, I believe, they had 100% voting for BHO, 100%, that never happens, for anybody or anything, when large numbers are involved.

Shark Bait - You are perpetuating lies. Why don't you investigate your ridiculous claims before making them?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/2012fraud.asp

"Wow, just wow.....I am at a loss for words.....Only an idiot...."
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here want to comment on their approval of shorter hours , long lines, difficult registration and the other ploys being used to stop Americans from voting?
The IDs work just as well.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't really understand is the abject fear that the left has over voter I.D. laws, it's as if you were being asked to strip naked in public before being allowed to vote.
Disenfranchisement has always been, and always be, nothing more than a BS excuse over the fear of voter I.D.

Just watching out for the little guy? BS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 5 of 67

Jump to: