myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou Rocket Wide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tabou Rocket Wide Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
Anyone have any intel on this apparently new iteration of the beloved Tabou Rocket? The 118l wide version is 78 cm wide, a full 12 cm wider than the 115 regular Rocket.
Is Tabou messing up a good thing here, because it seems like 78 cm would get big in a real hurry. Then again, I don't know squat about board design.

a LITTLE misleading is what I wrote: I interpret "is Tabou messing up " since both versions are listed for 2015 how could they mess up ?

no you did not say the original shape was done away with. You also didnt say it would be continued as well the wide Rocket.

I think you will find the 118L Wide to " get big in a hurry" compared to the 115L Rocket out now

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
In any event, my thought would be to replace two of my Rockets (115 and 145) with the Wide 118. I use my 145 with 8.5 and 9.5 sails, but I hardly ever rig the 9.5 anymore, so the idea would be to use the Wide 118 for 7.0 through 8.5, and use my existing 95 for 5.5 to 7.0.

At least that's what they are supposed to do-replace 2 or more boards. Those are my intentions too-I just ordered an AtomIQ 110 to replace a SS136 /sold already/ and a Firerace 112. It's supposed to arrive sometime next week.I plan on using just 2 sails with it -6.5 and 7.5 and the smaller ones will sail as before with a FSW93. A 9.0 that I'm tired of will be put for sale for good. If it works it will be beautiful -2boards and 4/5sails that I can put in my car and be ready for everything but the most extreme conditions here in the Midwest. It doesn't get any better Smile
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
scargo wrote:
In any event, my thought would be to replace two of my Rockets (115 and 145) with the Wide 118. I use my 145 with 8.5 and 9.5 sails, but I hardly ever rig the 9.5 anymore, so the idea would be to use the Wide 118 for 7.0 through 8.5, and use my existing 95 for 5.5 to 7.0.

At least that's what they are supposed to do-replace 2 or more boards. Those are my intentions too-I just ordered an AtomIQ 110 to replace a SS136 /sold already/ and a Firerace 112. It's supposed to arrive sometime next week.I plan on using just 2 sails with it -6.5 and 7.5 and the smaller ones will sail as before with a FSW93. A 9.0 that I'm tired of will be put for sale for good. If it works it will be beautiful -2boards and 4/5sails that I can put in my car and be ready for everything but the most extreme conditions here in the Midwest. It doesn't get any better Smile

If I am missing something in the description of these boards, enlighten me.
I dont read anyone, saying that they will/could /should replace 2 boards.
If the venue you sail ...most of the time falls into a certain criteria and your sails, ability, wind/water condition favor these, and YOU of all people like the feel of oneah these, then but all means go for it

RRD say:
The most contradictive design in our windsurfing collection has conquered the heart of many passionate windsurfer in last two years since its first launch on the market.The Firemove concept is based on an oversized middle width, an extra reduced volume thickness and rail shape, combined with a very long flat section scooprocker line. An impossible combination for most at first, a real innovation for all after testing this magic breed of board shapes.This year we have gone one step further and refined in the most important details of this new line of boards. Firstly we have modified only the 102-112-122 shapes by adding 2 lts of volume of the most common sizes and left un-altered the shapes of the 130 and 140 lts. The slight addition of volume combined with extra 2 cms in length and 1 cm reduced width has allowed this magic shape to extend even further its phenomenal range of use.It now ranges from being a super early planer & easy jiber to a pure hi wind controlled bump & jump board with a definite attitude to reach top level speeds.

Tabou:

We invested lot of time and a crazy number of hours testing to achieve the wide freeride board that we are very proud to present you now, offering an incredibly easy, wide range!
This board has got it all for any keen freerider: very early planing, speed, acceleration and passing through lulls effortlessly. It has great control and on top of that a super easy jiber where you don’t lose any speed and come out as fast as you entered. The new Rocket Wide range has such a versatile sail range. For example, the 118 will feel totally at home with sails ranging from a 6.0m Pilot entry level sail to a 8.5m Phantom freerace. This is the board that will help you pass to the next level.

my 115L Tabou Rocket LTD felt totally at home with a 5.8m up to 7.5M,

NOT 8.5m as stated for 118L. Maybe I just have too many boards to change around too when its
A. windy B. not so windy

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something new they can thrust upon the consumer.
JP Magic 118 is friendly for it's size, up to moderate chop, and has been part of our quiver for almost 2 months. Quiver includes Futura111 and SSport109, along with some older course slalom Labs.
Both Futura and SS is faster with sub 7.5 sails.
Magic rides nicer, turns easier, completes turns easier, and is more friendly.
Magic actually sails very similar to our ExocetWarpSlalom 72, but it's a 76 in width.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it really be such a wonderfully great joy using an 8.5 metre sail on a 118 litre 'do it all' board?

Does such a concept make our Konas, Equipes, Lightnings, Mega cats, Bambas (got to include that one - out on mine for a cruise t'other day, singing my head off) and modern Phantoms redundant??

I doubt it, but it sounds good!! (to the next level of course, as the makers excitedly tell us! )
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory...
8.5 meter sail on a 118 means it's on a 15.4 lbs board, the ProEdition.
Only a pure slalom board matches that weight.
Magic jibes much smoother, is more manueverable, easier to hold the rail down at full speeds.
Is that better than 1.5 mph more speed?
Who wants to replace a longboard? Who has a longboard?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2015 Rocket 115 LTD. I had the 2010 and the 2012 115 ltd.
Last season I sailed the Starboard Atom IQ 110. Similar to the Rocket wide.
For where I sail and my skill level I think the standard Rocket is a bit better.
Only very slightly. Mostly because it fit in my truck better and I didn't need to buy a new bag. I also sail the Tabou 3s 96. As soon as the wind picks up just a bit, I got to this board.
Rocket vs. Atom.
Planning.............. Equal but the Rocket needs a pump or two to get going
Top speed............ Rocket but only very slight.
Speed to wind...... Slight edge to the Atom
Turning ............... Atom if your not skilled. Very forgiving.. Rocket is good
Ride.................... Slight edge to the Atom. Super thick pads and tail cut outs really help. Both are big and used in lite wind and smooth water.
Glide................... Atom all the way. Just keeps going in the holes and in the turns. Hard not to plane out.
Wind range.......... Atom. You can use a half a meter smaller or more than you use too. Will carry a bigger sail.
Fun factor............ Rocket. Its a bit more lively and free feeling on the water. The Atom doesn't feel fast until you pass your friends. This can be good or bad depending on your skill level.
One board quiver.......Go wide. Unless you have good skills. Have a second smaller fin.
None of this applies if you only sail the Gorge. These are for lakes and bays and fund boarding.

WARNING: THESE WIDE BOARDS ARE BIG FOR THE STATED VOLUME.
Consider going one size down from what you think you need. Its all about the width. You can stand on a sheet of plywood that has very little volume.
I should have use the 100 Atom instead of the 110. That Rocket Wide 108 looks super cool and I like tail cut outs. Hey all the race boards have them.
Just my humble opinion after 32 years of windsurfing.....
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increased width IS pretty cool.
I have a 60cm board of 78 liters, and it slogs great even with a 6.0.
MagicRides at 118 and 76 cm can work fine with 8+ sails.
But, is there a tradeoff in top speed?
Seems, slalom racers using their 70+ wide boards with 7.9 sails are no faster in top speed than a good sailor using a 60 cm wide board with a 6.5 sail, but of course, the wider board bigger sail planes thru holes and jumps out of jibes.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This obsession with ever increasing width leaves some of us cold. As Novaan said - 'Fun factor....Rocket. It's a bit more lively and free feeling on the water.' (Not what a particular design feature does, but HOW it does it.)

We've all got sucked into the wide camp over the last few years, and yes, there are advantages, but also trade offs. Just three weeks ago I dragged my old narrow low volume Pure Acid wave board back out of the attic (replaced by original Evo) just to remind myself of what I'd forgotten.

Fully powered by an old 4.5 wave sail, it was sheer 'in your face' reinvolvement. Not better, not worse, just involving and exciting. So, if it's 8.0 metre sail weather I see it as satisfying go anywhere longboard cruising (they plane, you know ), but if it's roughish and blowing it's medium width (Exo Cross type) smaller boards and sails for the job.

So, good luck to those who go for the new wide, but some of us don't want, or need, a single do it all 'Jack of all trades but master of none' type board, thank you!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to my last:
I think anyone that is below a advanced windsurfer and is sailing with larger sails would benefit from the wide boards. They do what they say. Plane without much effort, coast through lulls and are very forgiving in turns. The learning curve is shorten by the ease of this type of board. Also I beat a lot of fast freeride boards at my lake. Short reach so the first guy going and a good turn always beat top speed.
I love the fast free feeling of my Rocket. It gets on the fin and skips across the water. This feeling might hold back a intermediate from going for broke, heading down wind and getting the extra top speed out of the board. I only wish we had this type of wide board back in the day. How much easier it would have been to learn and progress in the sport. Yes we all paid our dues. But now maybe these boards will help grow our sport and put more fun in the learning curve.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: