myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tomorrow Sunday (Annapolis MD area)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernestomv

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Tomorrow Sunday (Annapolis MD area) Reply with quote

Planning on going to Terrapin, it should be great during the whole day, high tide (which means no beach) at 1 pm but that bothers kiters mostly.
I'm taking a friend who wants to learn, not the best day for learning but it'll have to work, we will be there from early morning.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can make it out tomorrow, unfortunately. If it really does blow 25-35 mph, bring a small sail.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like 1/2 the country is gonna be windy today! We're supposed to get 20-30 w/gusts to 40. Smile
justall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did it go on Sunday, ernestomv?
ernestomv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It went great, it was really windy and there were more sails than kites and sizes went from 3.5 to 4.5. My friend chose the worst day for getting on the water, he could not up haul, so he tried beach and water starts, and got on the board a couple of times. But terrapin was great, almost no chop for the amount of wind and not as cold as I was expecting it.
us85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was definitely the best day I've had at Terrapin in the last 2 years. I also sailed there Saturday. Sunday was so much better. Same sail size both days, but Saturday it was blowing North-NNE, and you had to sail out directly into the closely space chop. We took a beating sailing out, and it was a real triumph to actually complete a turn.

But, on Sunday, the direction was perfect. You could bear off to sail in kinda flat water between the waves or head up to hit the ramps. Jumps were kinda scary at times, as I've never felt that much wind boost. It took some getting used to, and by the time I felt at all comfortable with it, I was getting tired. Of course, it was NW, so it was gusty. I could just handle the gusts on 4.0, but the lulls were exhausting.

Definitely nice to see that many windsurfers, and it's a really good thing there weren't more kiters out. There were some pretty experienced kiters getting slammed and dragged. I saw the one guy blow his knee out - just up wind of me. His cut his kite loose, and it went flying towards shore about 50 meters in front of me. Later, on one particularly big gust, two kiters crashed and got dragged - again just up wind of me. The kiters call it TerrorPin for good reason.
justall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear! It has been a nice series of Fall weekends for DC-area windsurfing. Gusty, but at least blowing powerfully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: