myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Maui Suggestions Reply with quote

I'm in Maui for a few days - first time. We are on a family vacation and are leaving for Kauai for 6 days on Monday morning. I added the Maui days as an opportunity to scope out the place and try my hand at windsurfing here. I scheduled a lesson yesterday (Friday) and met my instructor at Sprecks. My instructor was great - I was terrible and completely unprepared. I sail on Midwest lakes on mostly big gear. I almost never water-start as there is no need and I have a lake allergy. Well it was windy and wavy beyond anything I had expected and I spent my 2 hours swimming and learning to water start - something I'm getting the hang of but I was doing it in big surf. I had a few runs out and back but I was pretty tired from screwing around in the water and I completed exactly zero dry jibes and tacks - something I don't have trouble with at home. Anyway, I'm just terrible, here at least. But I'm stubborn enough to try again tomorrow - should I ask that we go somewhere else where I won't be rising and falling 10 feet while I'm working on water starts? Is there even such a place? Should I bother with a lesson or just rent some gear and work on starts at the inside of Kanaha? I'm not proud - this post should make that obvious, but I would like to have some fun on the water. Open to suggestions.

As an aside I got to watch the PWA event later at Hookipa and my instructor gave me some great tips which will transfer to my lake sailing so not a wasted day.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday was big surf and strong wind later in the day, so it would be challenging about anywhere on the north shore. You might try Kihei, it is much flatter water over there. There is a nice park where Ohukai intersects South Kihei Rd. But Sunday is supposed to be flatter on the north side, so Kanaha won't be bad. Go to the uppers launch and you can walk up the beach a ways.
fxop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upwind instructional area at Kanaha is best -- take a lesson from anyone at HST. Your instructor may not have had access to that area.

If on your own Kihei is best as mentioned. Ask people on the beach how to avoid the shallow reefs. Can be a little offshore so be aware, given your waterstarting level.

No fun being thrown into the mixmaster like that. You'd have a lot more fun in the summer.

fxop
loonie2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Maui right now as well. You hit a big wave day. If you go to Kihei you need to be confident as winds are often slightly off shore. Close to shore it can be gusty. If you are not good at waterstarts uphaul may be a problem in choppy water on a smaller board. Also, when theres wind at Kanaha you may find no one else at Kihei. If I were you I'd go to Kanaha. As said above, the wave size should be smaller than Friday. Good luck!
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to Kanaha - we'll see what happens, thanks for the advice
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastest way to learn: drinking from the fire hose.

that said, upwind at kanaha is pretty easy. surprised your instructor had you at sprecks, although it is relatively easy compared to other spots.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Kanaha was pretty easy. I spent the day at the downwind end of the beach between the launch and the lifeguard tower - I sailed out past the reef and back but didn't venture upwind. My sailing wasn't great but I still had fun and my waterstarts improved exponentially. I got a few jumps and enjoyed watching the other windsurfers and kiters. I also have to mention that Oliver at Adventure Sports could not have been more helpful or a nicer guy. Thanks again for the advice above.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
fastest way to learn: drinking from the fire hose.

I tried to figure out waterstarting for a year or two (before there were lessons or videos), preferring instead to actually windsurf. Uphauling was an easy, 100% alternative path to sailing.

Until Kanaha. There it was waterstart or go home. Got it wired in a few hours.

Moral: Find a firehose with a safe escape route and open the valve. You'll learn much faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: