myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My biggest fear in windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
I was just tumbled sometime this month with my rear foot in the strap...couldn't extract holding me under

Now THAT I've encountered. I have no tricks up my sleeve for that one besides brute force followed by patient, methodical extraction after force fails. It's the main reason I quit wearing booties.
windrockwater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My biggest fear in windsurfing Reply with quote

amarie wrote:
I'm sharing this because I want someone to talk me out of it. Tell me this has never happened and probably never could. I'm afraid of falling awkwardly while twisting and having my harness twist so tightly before I can unhook that it gets stuck, with me pinned underwater. Say if a wave catches me the wrong way and flings me around before I can react.

It doesn't stop me, but it is a little thought that creeps into my head probably at least once every session when it's more advanced conditions, such as trickier/bigger wave days or high wind, or when I'm trying to learn something new. I do have the quick release style harness but I picture that not releasing if it's loaded under pressure, or me not being able to reach it.

This is silly because nothing else scares me on the water. I'm fine with tricky launches or overhead waves or (small) shark fins or being by myself or way offshore. All stuff that's probably much worse.

This exact thing happened to me last week! I was a little freaked and de-rigged to go home and chill out.

Basically, I was hooked in and then wiped out and catapulted around the mast and ended up under the sail. There was still a little air under the sail so my head was still above water and as i treaded water i realized i could not unhook! The sail was sinking and i knew I was about to go under water. I immediately told myself "don't panic" and then i had to commit and take a breath and go under and figure out how to unhook. Obviously i got out but man it scared me. The problem was that my waist belt with the hook slid down below the rest of my waist harness. So there was tension on the harness lines which prevented me from simply unhooking. Basically my Velcro belt loosened and created a gap between the belt and the harness which i will not let happen again! I would say it was the scariest thing in over 15 years of windsurfing. My wife says I should have a knife on my ankle to pop thru the sail in an emergency. Maybe thats a good idea. Or some kind of a quick release for the harness belt? Ideas?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflatable PFD?
Three inflatable PFDs?
Less aggressive hook?
If you're not comfortable under water, take up skin or SCUBA diving. When you're comfortable swimming through coral arches 30-40 feet down when snorkeling, one or two feet is much less threatening.
I like your wife's idea, as long as that blade is well guarded when not in use. Mount it well away from your kite line knife so you won't confuse the two.

Crap; now you guys have me worried. Sad
windrockwater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wearing a helmet but not my float vest. I immediately thought NOT wearing the vest was good. Because i needed to plunge under to unhook. And the vest might have kept my pressing against the underside of the sail.

Hey we are lucky. Windsurfing STILL give me a thrill and adrenaline. It has a very high adrenaline to low risk ratio in my opinion. Any other thing i do for adrenaline is much more dangerous!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't wear a vest that impeded swimming straight down.

I quit dirt biking and snowmobiling in favor of windsurfing because I thought the later was safer. Yet my worst injury ever was to a knee, windsurfing. A Baja 1000 dirt bike racer bud died of heatstroke in a hot tub, and a wild canyon racer bud paralyzed himself slipping in his tub. Crap happens, but it's not the norm ... but stay away from bathtubs.
amarie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try practicing, as suggested. I actually do freediving on the oil rigs and for that I carry a knife due to the invisible underwater fishing lines, but I think it would be more likely to hurt me than help me in wave sailing. Interesting to think about, though. Good to know I'm not the only one thinking this way.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry! You'll be fine because you'll know what's happening. The first time it happened to me I had no idea and it scared the ...out of me. I'll spare you the details, but the important lesson I took was that I have a lot more air in my lungs left, then I thought and it gives me enough time to untangle, unhook and swimm out. Trying to get rid of harness; life west etc. is just a waste of time and may make things worse. When it happened a second time /again going fast downwind board nosedives in the back of a chop and I end up rotated with all the gear on top of me/ the sickening panic came in again but this time I focused, pulled myself towards the boom and I was unhooked instantly.
I don't know what changed since then -experience; instinct?!-but this kind of crashing hasn't happened ever since -more then 2 years now. So just remember this: whatever happens, you can make it out, so just focus and keep the panic away.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.93 KB
 Viewed:  12039 Time(s)

image.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the most useful and encouraging statistic is this question: out of many hundreds of thousands of WSers, has anyone ever drowned because he was trapped beneath his sail? I haven't yet heard of any drownings not attributed to injury, hypothermia, medical problem, etc. It must be much more difficult than it sounds.

With that in mind, the most interesting statement I've seen in this thread is this: "I actually do freediving on the oil rigs", followed closely by "and for that I carry a knife due to the invisible underwater fishing lines". The former sounds fascinating and eerie (I always got spooked when snorkeling over a black abyss populated with teeth), the latter even scarier. Is this for work or for fun?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarie

most of the threads/post on this site are are superfluous , your is I feel a certifiable plea for help, physical and spiritual//mentally.

Like others, many others I have been stuck, under the sail with the harness line twisted and stuck, up shit creek, so to speak. One and I see it all most vividly stuck in the lines and in one footstrap, I thought that this was it.. and Iam going down on my favorite surf break. In the strap and harness was a Steven King adventure.

the very most important thing is DO not panic, use your options to get released, sorting out the events/sequence to get released require a clear mind( difficult but remain calm) you will use less oxygen and heaving been prepared will aide this. I thought my neighbor 10yo Sarah to windsurf, one of first things was exposure to this . This crys out for panic,and thats exactly what you dont want.

How to rescue yourself depend on the situation. You are not alone ,and think that crossing the road is more dangerous unless Kansas or Iowa .

think about what you will do....... and it becomes 2nd nature.
Scared me silly..........

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
amarie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Perhaps the most useful and encouraging statistic is this question: out of many hundreds of thousands of WSers, has anyone ever drowned because he was trapped beneath his sail? I haven't yet heard of any drownings not attributed to injury, hypothermia, medical problem, etc. It must be much more difficult than it sounds.

With that in mind, the most interesting statement I've seen in this thread is this: "I actually do freediving on the oil rigs", followed closely by "and for that I carry a knife due to the invisible underwater fishing lines". The former sounds fascinating and eerie (I always got spooked when snorkeling over a black abyss populated with teeth), the latter even scarier. Is this for work or for fun?

Iso - just for fun. The rigs in the gulf here have a ton of fish...like big barracuda and amberjack and ling, little snapper, etc. We only go about 20-25 feet down, max. It's a good foil to windsurfing bc you need real calm to get out there. But it's another example of the funny things that scare us while other things don't. I'll also do long-distance open water swimming. Yet I started this thread because sometimes I get afraid of my harness. I've never opened up about it before. Thanks for the genuine discussion everyone. It really helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: