myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My biggest fear in windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some harness bar attachments quik release type. My Naish are to a degree.

I had PROLIMIT before when imported. It was sweet, once released it move out of the lines a suggestion..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prolimit-Type-T-Windsurf-Harness-/171234323187?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Windsurfing_CV&hash=item27de5c6af3

shipping from the Continent is more reasonable that opposite direction

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarie wrote:
The rigs in the gulf here have a ton of fish...like big barracuda and amberjack and ling, little snapper, etc. We only go about 20-25 feet down, max. ... Yet I started this thread because sometimes I get afraid of my harness.

OK, then next time you get snagged beneath your sail, pretend you're in the jaws of an 8-foot barracuda instead of a little hook. Maybe that will relax you.

Sheesh! Very Happy

I've snorkeled and SCUBA dived miles offshore in Florida's Atlantic and Gulf coasts, and I never got very comfortable even sightseeing, let alone spearfishing (we ate what we speared), among schools of large barracuda and the occasional large shark. My diving bud had a swim fin on his wall with a large barracuda bite out of it, obtained while he was wearing it. I hope your confidence in those unpredictable torpedoes is warranted.

Google Buteyko breathing. It teaches us how to breathe in different challenging scenarios such as asthma, high intensity exercise, panic attacks, nasal congestion, and more. A relevant starting place might be http://tinyurl.com/l4ej6zq . Some of its practicioners claim they can exercise flat out while breathing through their nose because they have trained themselves to get more oxygen where it needs to be without giving in to that misguided and self-defeating compulsion to heave for air when it is not really necessary. It sounds like a natural aid for anyone who spends any time under water. For example, in one of that link's other articles Dr. Mercola explains why hyperventilating before a free dive is counterproductive and dangerous. (I know Mercola is "out there" and highly commercial, but he does present many topics and much food for thought and isn't selling anything in this particular topic.)

Dr. Buteyko probably carries it too far, making unsubstantiated claims that it will cure many illnesses. But it does seem to help athletes perform better and run short of breath less often.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened once to me, but was not drama at all. Couldn't get away so got closer and was able to undo the little tangle. I had tought first to remove the harness and was confident to do it easily as I use Prolimits and the bar releases even under some tension if you pull on the tab. I use seats, and there are 3 other buckles but they are easy to undo, and I guess they would snap if in panick. I really felt I had time to try to untangle first before bailing out of the harness if required.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my biggest fear is prolonged lack of wind and waves...
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to me a few times while learning but I had either fallen on top of the sail or the water was shallow. At first there was a bit of panic and I really had to think about it at the time and later as to which way to pull the lines out. Now I know, relax, come towards the rig to provide some slack and sweep the hands from the top down to free it.
Not a problem if you have a plan and the right shape hook that will allow the lines to slip off. With a kite hook it could be a real problem however.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always unhook on waves, but have been launched and twisted my harness line around the hook a few times. This is scary for sure. So... if this happens, grab the boom. Pull it toward your belly. This relaxes the tension of the line against the hook. Put both thumbs on the bottom of the hook, and your fingers around the harness line. Squeeze them together and thrust your hook out while you're pulling out.
rollerrider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of posts on this topic. Yeah it happens alot. But whatever happens don't panic. It never helps. Last time it happened to me in the crunch zone and I was not only under the sail but somehow got between the boom and sail. I couldn't relieve the tension cause of all the current and wave action. So the next thing I did was panic and try to pull on the mast to get my head out and get a breath. Didn't work. Just wasted more time. So I finally got one hand on the hook and the other on the line and just unhooked it. Kinda put me in a crappy mood for awhile.
Worse things can happen. Like crashing far out in big wind and not being able to swim fast enough to catch your kit. Wear a PFD.
justall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
Worse things can happen. Like crashing far out in big wind and not being able to swim fast enough to catch your kit. Wear a PFD.

I certainly agree with that! Swimming after my board, it sometimes feels like the darn thing has an outboard motor, tooling away from me so quickly. I throw out a long line of profanities as I go after the board ... seems to help me swim faster ... or makes the board obey.

rollerrider wrote:
I was not only under the sail but somehow got between the boom and sail.

Good grief, that was a heck of a crash. The only thing worse, I suppose, would be ending up with your head through a footstrap.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing disconnecting the bar is something anyone can do. I've had (once) the experience of finding myself between the boom and the sail, underwater, hooked in. Took three long seconds to disentangle myself. Also there's this:

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/05/bad_accident_wa.html

in which the adjustable harness pull could conceivably get caught in your hook.

If you can calmly remove the hook from the harness, you're more or less bulletproof, though in most cases it's a matter of (as previously stated) relaxing the pull on the line, bringing your hands to the hook and sliding the line off.

rexi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really bad catapult about 3 years ago, sailing on a windy 3.7 day. Wiped out, got the wind knocked out of my lungs, had spun about 360 in the harness lines and ended up sligtly confused under the sail. Was going to hurry back for air but got stuck, took me a few tries to get loose, ended up trying to relax and get closer to the boom to get this thing loose and it worked. Then came up for air but could hardly breath because my wind was knocked out of my lungs.

I use a Dakine nexus (with a windsurfing bar, not the kite ones) and after that i made a little quick release system on the harness. Quite easy, just made one longer rope to the buckle and that was it. I sail most of the times with mittens so those pressing a button release system donīt work for me. Now itīs really easy to get out of the harness if i have to, but i have never had this happen again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: