myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter is approaching,How long are you going to keep sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in New York, ice on the sail is usually the limiting factor. A good pair of 7 mil boots and gloves will get you out and keep you warm in anything.... The more guys that see you sailing later into the season, the more guys will go out and buy a drysuit and join you. There are enough guys here on Long Island that sail through the winter that we're very rarely sailing alone. I always get more days in January than in June...... And I won't sail anything over 5.0 in the winter....

By the way, it's 37 degrees right now and we're on our way to the beach!!! Looks like a good day!!
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The more guys that see you sailing later into the season, the more guys will go out and buy a drysuit and join you."

That's a good point!

Misery loves company...!

Alot of our winter sessions follow a 1/2 hour in-vehicle debate/bitch/moan followed by cat calling/shaming/rigging-laughter frenzy

Pretty rare that i regret getting wet (once you are out there)

Think snow!

outcast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna try a bastard version of the "Inovated" tubes in wetsuit today.

if it works will hook up a spiced rum and cider tube

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys.................... I just had session #2 in the Ianovated Suit. It is NOT a gimmick. Granted, it wasn't that cold at just 45 degrees, but my hands were actually WARM. Not just comfortable, but WARM. Toasty, "sitting by the fire" warm.

I can't believe how amped up I am for winter sailing now. Bring on the winter winds!!!!

http://wind-nc.com
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Long Island "Rule of 100" that determines whether or not we sail:

Air temperature + Water temperature + Wind Speed + Weeks since last session + 5 (if it's sunny) = 100 or higher.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2012/01/100-degree-rule-long-island-style.html

See Mike Burns' (mewindsurf) comments above. If the sun is out, mid 30's is doable (and we do it). More sessions in January than in June...that's Long Island if you like small boards!

scargo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail in NJ all winter in a drysuit, but I'm usually the only one out, so if the conditions aren't that great, I'll often opt for doing something else. Also, in gusty W or WNW conditions, I've become more inclined to stay at home rather than contend with 34-degree water and 5-25 wind.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thumbs up for the ianovated suits..
i was out today on lake ontario, 2c on a 6.2 then 5,2.. no problem at all keeping the fingers warm.
i have the double sided nylon version for extra durability instead of the smooth skin , and find its plenty warm enough for me right down to freezing.

ISmith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
As all my customers will confirm this hopefully you will not view this as spam. I no longer get the depression the falling temperatures of autumn causes which is being described in this posting.
The two problems are cold hands and aching arms. The aching arms are caused by material between the fingers and the boom which makes you over grip.
Both have been solved, this is not a partial relief, it is a complete solution and you only occasionally have to blow into the system, the slight tweak maintains a comfortable warm balance and facilitates a completely bare skin grip.
http://www.ianovated.co.uk/
Iain
wazenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the few (very few) advantages us old guys have over the young is that our muscles are so inefficient that we generate a lot of heat. I can go out in conditions I could never do as a kid.

That being said, hands are the limiting factor. I've been using Stohlquist Maw kayak gloves for a number of years now with quite good success. The gloves are precurved and use very soft rubber on the inside. The grip is great and reduces fatigue. As being soft, they can get torn up in one season, but I've have not found anything better.

http://www.stohlquist.com/apparel/footwear-gloves/maw-glove.html
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping gloved hands toasty is not a problem. It's when one must adjust or fix something that everything goes to hell. I've had to throw equipment away to save my butt at that point because my hands froze in seconds.

Then came the pain. O.M.G. the pain! If breaking a leg didn't entail so much healing time, it would be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: