myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does Kona 1 allow smaller sails for same winds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Does Kona 1 allow smaller sails for same winds Reply with quote

I considering buying a Kona 1 longboard . Currently I surf on a Bic Core 293. I am an intermediate sailor and I am not a speed buff.
I’d like to know the following
1.Would the Kona 1 allow smaller sails than the Bic 293 for the same wind conditions, at least in sub-planing? If the Kona allowed me to reduce the sail size, it would be a big advantage, because normally I have to use a 7.5 or even an 8.5 and I find these sizes hard on my back and arms to jibe and tack in light winds( not to mention uphauling!).
2. Would the Kona 1 plane easier than the Bic 293 in the same wind conditions, perhaps because of its hull design and also because it is narrower and longer? Or is it the opposite?
3. All in all, how would the Kona 1 compare to the Bic 293 in sub-planing and planing. Would it be worthwhile replacing the Bic Core 293 with the Kona 1, also given the price difference?

Thanks
Ittiandro
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can use smaller sails on the Kona, just as you can on the Bic or any other longboard. You won't readily get up on the plane in light winds, but it will still go anywhere you choose, including sub-planing upwind with the dagger fully down.

Most kona users prefer bigger sails for performance, but it has never been a necessity, if speed is not your priority. In the early 80's, before short boards hit our shores, we often used our old longboards of the day in very strong winds, with very small 'storm' sails. (Of about 3.9 size.) It didn't prevent them from 'going some!'

As to comparitive performance, the Kona should have a clear planing edge (the step tail reduces board length, and peps up the performance) but there may not be much real difference in sub planing glide over the Bic, which is a successful and proven design, especially if you use a smaller sail than you would on the Bic. So it depends, but I'll add that the Kona is the most comfortable planing in the straps longboard I've ever used. On that score alone, it's a winner.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Kona 1 allow smaller sails for same winds Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:

1.Would the Kona 1 allow smaller sails than the Bic 293 for the same wind conditions, at least in sub-planing?
2. Would the Kona 1 plane easier than the Bic 293 in the same wind conditions,

1. Sub-planing you could probably use a smaller sail because the Kona is narrower it's nose will be pushing less water. Also sub-planing the Kona could be railed upwind easier and faster.
2. The Kona being narrower would plane later in marginal winds, wide gets you planing sooner.
3. Kona has a different finbox so if you have a collection of fins for the Bic they will not fit the Kona.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Kona 1 allow smaller sails for same winds Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
I considering buying a Kona 1 longboard . Currently I surf on a Bic Core 293. I am an intermediate sailor and I am not a speed buff.
I’d like to know the following
1.Would the Kona 1 allow smaller sails than the Bic 293 for the same wind conditions, at least in sub-planing? If the Kona allowed me to reduce the sail size, it would be a big advantage, because normally I have to use a 7.5 or even an 8.5 and I find these sizes hard on my back and arms to jibe and tack in light winds( not to mention uphauling!).
2. Would the Kona 1 plane easier than the Bic 293 in the same wind conditions, perhaps because of its hull design and also because it is narrower and longer? Or is it the opposite?
3. All in all, how would the Kona 1 compare to the Bic 293 in sub-planing and planing. Would it be worthwhile replacing the Bic Core 293 with the Kona 1, also given the price difference?
Thanks
Ittiandro

Hi Ittiandro, I just returned from the Kona One World Championship held last week in Islamorada, Florida. I also serve as the Measurer for the KWA so have pretty intimate knowledge of what works best on the board -even outside the one-design limitations. Much of my comments are general since you don't state your weight and likely sailing conditions. I could be more specific if you can post your weight and common conditions, including water state.

1. Yes, though you would not maximize performance of the Kona One without using something close to the class size based on your weight. The lighter you are, the more likely the bigger benefit from a larger size -especially using a cam sail.

2. The Kona One will plane in lighter winds for heavier sailors -especially since it supports much more "racy" fins than provided. It also planes far better without pumping since it transitions to a plane more slowly. The Techno 293 also is moderate in transitioning from displacement to planing, just less so than the the Kona One. Another thing: the Kona One supports very large sails while the Techno bogs down somewhat in the large sizes. As you probably know, big guys (225 lb and up) easily use a 9.8 with the stock fin. I've paired an 11.0 and 52 cm racing fin on the Kona One with terrific results. And, the Kona One will plane upwind nearly or at the rate of the RS:X if the water is flat and wind steady. The T 293 OD can't match that VMG on the fin.

3. While the Techno 293 OD is a terrific board for light sailors, and a great high wind alternative for very heavy sailors, it simply cannot compare to the Kona One in light winds in the hands of most adults. Even with the class-legal rigs (RAF sail, aluminum boom, 75% carbon mast) and fin (46cm freeride) and without pumping, the Kona One usually beats the T293OD around a course. Usually, because a highly skilled kid who can pump the Bic 8.5 rig without limitation and who weight is very light probably will beat the same kid on the Kona One without pumping while using the class -legal 7.4.

However, the Kona One hull is not maximized by the class-legal sails and fin and stands to gain more by replacing the rig and fin with 100% carbon spars, cam racing sails and top fins. The Kona One also works great with smaller sails. In fact, the class-legal 6.6 works great for very light sailors -something evidenced by the success of the young teenagers racing at the Worlds.

Remember, KWA Class Rules ban pumping, so most people simply don't pump as much even when not racing and don't exhibit the stunning performance of the board.

I hope this helps. Please provide more information on your body weight and sailing conditions and I can be more precise in my comparison.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think Franco is from Montreal and about 80 kilos from other posts i have seen.
Typically we are a light wind spot with some chop.
For "bigger" conditions we go elsewhere - Lake Champlain, Quebec, Sandbanks, Hatteras and les Isles de Madeleines

for winds under 12 knots it feels like longboards still glide better than BIC 293 and the Kona One
Sailboarder and I did the test - Kona One and Fanatic Ultra CAT

at 15 knots it would interesting to see Phantom raceboard beside a Kona with same sails and same skilled sailors Smile musta bin dun by now ??

for Franco Ittiandro it is a question of investment too - worth the change?
for the 293 the bigger sails require a bigger fin - was that done ??
if not, get a used fin first to see what board can do !!

to help in chop, range, uphauling and my back , this year i purchased a HotSailsMaui SpeedFreak 8.5 - VERY light and GREAT range
NOT much grunt power on the longboard in light winds , but excellent after 15 knots
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Of course you can use smaller sails on the Kona, just as you can on the Bic or any other longboard. You won't readily get up on the plane in light winds, but it will still go anywhere you choose, including sub-planing upwind with the dagger fully down.

Most kona users prefer bigger sails for performance, but it has never been a necessity, if speed is not your priority.

Thanks
I know that I can use smaller sails, of course, but my question really was whether for approximately the same wind speed a Kona 1 with, say, a 6 or 6.5 sail would sub-plane just as well if not ( hopefully) better than my Bic with the 7.5 or 8.5 sail.
I thought this might be the case on account of the much higher volume ( hence the floatability) of the Kona and also because of its hull design, which is not completely flat-bottomed like the true shortboards, but tends to approach the V-shaped displacement type of hull. Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall that with my first board, almost 20 years ago ( a Swedish made true longboard, heavy like hell!) I could subplane better and faster with just a 6 or 6.5 sail than with an 8.5 today on the flat-bottomed Bic, which in the end still is ( at least to me ) a glorified shortboard, albeit nominally longer..
Bottom line, in considering the Kona, I was trying to get out of a dead end : the prevailing winds here are too light for planing and also my weight ( 84 Kg) adds to the problem,( unless I use large sails, but then they become too heavy to maneuver and uphaul)

Any comments?

Thanks
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually a fan of the Kona, but whenever I see a statement like this it baffles me, because, 15 knots (17 mph) will get me planing on a 100 ltr
RRD Freeride board with a 6.7 easily(and I weigh 180 lbs). So, I always
wonder why I would go to an "excellent" ride on a long board in that
much wind, when I could be having a much more maneuverable “excellent” ride on a short board. In fact, if the wind would just bump up to 18 mph(16 knots) I can pump to a plane with a 5.7 and a short board.

I can see the advantage in a race fleet, or even using the thing on a
wave for surf style longboard rides, but free riding a Kona with an 8.5
sail in conditions that would plane me on a short board, I just don't understand.

I would put an 8.5 (Retro) on a Kona, and drift out to a 12MPH wind line,
rip around for a few hours and drift back, or load it up with a 7.5 (no cam
that will handle surf) and slog it into some 3 ft crumblers in 12MPH,
chicken jibe, and grab some happy surf smiles.

To me that seems the boards use.

-Craig

joethewindsufa wrote:

to help in chop, range, uphauling and my back , this year i purchased a HotSailsMaui SpeedFreak 8.5 - VERY light and GREAT range
NOT much grunt power on the longboard in light winds , but excellent after 15 knots
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knew that was gonna get me in trouble
personally i longboard under 12 knots
freeformula 12 to 15 and shortboard 15 knots up

people do use the Kona with the step tail as a one board solution
and the races are obviously in bigger winds when available

sorry to distract from the original question
(next time i'll keep my "mouth" shut Smile )

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Kona 1 allow smaller sails for same winds Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:

Much of my comments are general since you don't state your weight and likely sailing conditions. I could be more specific if you can post your weight and common conditions, including water state.

1. Yes, though you would not maximize performance of the Kona One without using something close to the class size based on your weight. The lighter you are, the more likely the bigger benefit from a larger size -especially using a cam sail.

2. Another thing: the Kona One supports very large sails while the Techno bogs down somewhat in the large sizes.

I appreciate your comments. Your technical subtleties, though, however true, cater more to the experts.
I am just an intermediate sailor, who would like to maximize his sailing time by not having to sit on the beach waiting for gale-force winds ( or almost) in order to plane.( I'd be sitting on the beach or stay home the whole summer!) All I'am looking for is a board allowing me to subplane with smaller sails for the same winds, without overstraining myself in flipping around heavy sails like dead weights. If , in the same light winds, I can use a 6 or 6.5 to subplane with a KONA instead of an 8.5 with a Bic, this would be quite an achievement. Speeding and planing come after.

To answer your question, my weight is 84 kg and, not being of a masochistic nature, I do all my windsurfing in summer, unlike other people in other latitudes who, by choice or necessity, are seen joyously riding the frigid waters of the Baltic or the North sea with parkas…..…But I have to pay a price for windsurfing summers only: the winds here are very light most of the time and planing is out of the question.

I do not quite understand, though, what you mean when you say the Kona supports large sails better than the Bic, which “bogs down”?”. How so?
I am not too clear about the meaning of “ support”. I don’t question your opinion, because you seem to be far more knowledgeable than me, but there must be a physical explanation in terms of hydro-dynamics and I’d like to know it, in lay words. It looks like a board can be just as underpowered( or slowed down) by a sail which is too small for the wind, as by a much larger one, if it is not “ supported by the type of board, in this case my Bic . Is it perhaps a case of the “ law of diminishing returns”?

Thank you for your comments

Ittiandro
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franco, if planing is out of the question the Kona will be a better board than the Bic. For sub-planing you want longest narrowest board possible for gliding. Until you are planing the nose of your board will be pushing water creating a bow wave. A board like Joe's Ultra cat would be even better than the Kona. The best board would be a Serenity. You could probably get away with a little bit smaller sail but not 2 meters different, I think you will want to use a large sail anyways, everyone wants to go faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: