myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obamacare in a nutshell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, if you go back some years, some Republican leaders were actually promoting the Heritage Foundation's plan for healthcare reform. However, even a conservative plan didn't gain enough bi-partisan traction at the time. What else have Republicans offered on their own? I'm not talking about haggling piecemeal like they did in the Democrat's push for reform. I have to give the President Obama and the Democrats credit for championing and passing a viable plan, even though I would have preferred a Medicare type plan myself.

One thing that's very important to recognize is the fact that a significant healthcare reform plan will come not from Congress. The origination of such a comprehensive overall plan really must come from a think tank environment that has the ideas and intellectual foundation to develop such a detailed program concept and the reasoning to support it. The conservative Heritage Foundation was the Republican's best shot, and they foolishly abandoned it because the money behind them didn't want it. Where else do you see a sophisticated conservative plan for healthcare reform? It's simply not there.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
It's just bad theater in my view

And of course, the left would not dive into the "bad theater" if the shoe was on the other foot.

Calling the fiasco "bad theater" seems somewhat desperate.

I think we are just experiencing the tip of the ACA iceberg and my guess is that, without modifications it may just sink a few ships as we continue to discover how it is really working. I think the Republicans are listening to the people, while the Democrats prefer to tell the people how to think.

Yesterday from CNN:

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

A record number of Americans are giving Obamacare two thumbs down, even though enrollees like it and plan to renew their insurance coverage.

Some 56% of Americans disapprove of Obamacare, the most ever, a Gallup poll released Monday shows. A record-low 37% of those surveyed support the health reform law.

The poll was released two days after health insurance enrollment began for 2015 and a week after the midterm election, where Republicans retook the Senate. Several Republicans, including the leaders of the House and Senate, have called for overhauling or repealing Obamacare.

Obamacare fans have not outpolled foes since early 2013. The latest dip in the approval rating could signal a loss of faith in health reform after the midterm election, Gallup said.

Related: Obama: We didn't deceive anyone to pass Obamacare

Despite the public's negative views, Obamacare remains popular with enrollees. Some three-quarters of those covered through an exchange said they would renew their current policies or shop for another Obamacare plan, according to another Gallup poll released Friday.

More than seven in 10 enrollees rate the quality of their healthcare coverage as "excellent" or "good."

Obamacare 2.0 is also getting a lot of attention. Some 100,000 people submitted applications on Saturday, the first day of enrollment, Health Secretary Sylvia Burwell said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Enrollment in the health insurance exchanges kicked off smoothly, a far cry from last year when healthcare.gov crashed as soon as it opened.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
NW30, if you go back some years, some Republican leaders were actually promoting the Heritage Foundation's plan for healthcare reform. However, even a conservative plan didn't gain enough bi-partisan traction at the time. What else have Republicans offered on their own? I'm not talking about haggling piecemeal like they did in the Democrat's push for reform. I have to give the President Obama and the Democrats credit for championing and passing a viable plan, even though I would have preferred a Medicare type plan myself.

One thing that's very important to recognize is the fact that a significant healthcare reform plan will come not from Congress. The origination of such a comprehensive overall plan really must come from a think tank environment that has the ideas and intellectual foundation to develop such a detailed program concept and the reasoning to support it. The conservative Heritage Foundation was the Republican's best shot, and they foolishly abandoned it because the money behind them didn't want it. Where else do you see a sophisticated conservative plan for healthcare reform? It's simply not there.

"Oh, nuh uh man it is too there. You say it's not there. Prove that it is not there." (Expected response from NW and his scintillating style of argument).
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
swchandler said:
Quote:
It's just bad theater in my view

And of course, the left would not dive into the "bad theater" if the shoe was on the other foot.

Calling the fiasco "bad theater" seems somewhat desperate.

I think we are just experiencing the tip of the ACA iceberg and my guess is that, without modifications it may just sink a few ships as we continue to discover how it is really working. I think the Republicans are listening to the people, while the Democrats prefer to tell the people how to think.

Yesterday from CNN:

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

A record number of Americans are giving Obamacare two thumbs down, even though enrollees like it and plan to renew their insurance coverage.

Some 56% of Americans disapprove of Obamacare, the most ever, a Gallup poll released Monday shows. A record-low 37% of those surveyed support the health reform law.

The poll was released two days after health insurance enrollment began for 2015 and a week after the midterm election, where Republicans retook the Senate. Several Republicans, including the leaders of the House and Senate, have called for overhauling or repealing Obamacare.

Obamacare fans have not outpolled foes since early 2013. The latest dip in the approval rating could signal a loss of faith in health reform after the midterm election, Gallup said.

Related: Obama: We didn't deceive anyone to pass Obamacare

Despite the public's negative views, Obamacare remains popular with enrollees. Some three-quarters of those covered through an exchange said they would renew their current policies or shop for another Obamacare plan, according to another Gallup poll released Friday.

More than seven in 10 enrollees rate the quality of their healthcare coverage as "excellent" or "good."

Obamacare 2.0 is also getting a lot of attention. Some 100,000 people submitted applications on Saturday, the first day of enrollment, Health Secretary Sylvia Burwell said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Enrollment in the health insurance exchanges kicked off smoothly, a far cry from last year when healthcare.gov crashed as soon as it opened.

Results for this Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted Nov. 6-9, 2014, on the Gallup U.S. Daily survey, with a random sample of 828 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. For results based on the total sample of national adults, the margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points at the 95% confidence level.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Calling the fiasco "bad theater" seems somewhat desperate."

Let's be honest, all of us are just viewers in the war games going on right now against the ACA. We don't really have a hand in crafting or deciding anything. In my view, what I see from the right now is bad theater. It's just my opinion. I really don't have personal stake in the battle against the ACA. I'm simply an observer. Like you, I'm now covered by Medicare.

The only reason that there is a problem with the ACA is the stark fact that it requires folks to be responsible, and that requires them to spend what is arguably significant money on health insurance. The situation and polling screams to me that America may just have a majority of irresponsible people the would rather choose to let the government, and those that are responsible, pay the price should they suffer an accident or a disease. Think about it, if we were talking about folks living on government welfare, housing and food stamps, you would be singing a similar tune like I am wanting folks to take responsibility for themselves. Believe it or not, I do have a notable conservative streak in my view of things.

Last edited by swchandler on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the majority of Americans get insurance from one of two places, through their employer, and Medicare...why would a new entitlement poll very well, given that people like to vote with their pocketbook? And why are Republicans so poll conscience now, after stating for years that all Obama does is read the polls? And also stating that a good leader what he thinks is right, regardless of polls. Techno...why dont we just have polls to decide all public policy decisions, we could do away with Congress , and politicians all together?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Yesterday from CNN:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

How many of these advocates had NO insurance before and don't know any better?

How many of them are partly or fully subsidized ... i.e., paying damned near nothing for it?

How many of them will ever again see the doctor(s) they know and like?

How many of them even comprehend what a "deductible" IS, let alone how much theirs will be?

How many of them can even spell "ACA", but instead just had someone come to their door and sign them up?

That leaves two guys in Two Egg, Florida and Elba, Alabama who actually replaced an existing policy out of their own pockets, have acceptable deductibles, and kept their doctors, and I'll bet they have no clue that their premiums will skyrocket next year.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
nw30 wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
The funds for the subsidies do not come from premiums from other policy holders.

You guys should read all of Gruber's stuff...not just the statements that feed your preconceived notions about the ACA.

There is no other reason that my policy has gone up as much as it has over such a short of time (over 100% w/in the last 4 years, most of it w/in the last two), also know as a "Cadillac plan", no other reason.
It's simply a redistribution of wealth, as covertly designed.

My nomination for the next Time magazine's person of the year, Jonathan Gruber.

Dude,

You gettin' hosed by your insurer. The average rate increase for California individual policy holders for the period 2011 to 2014 was 10%.

Read here:

http://www.chcf.org/~/media/MEDIA%20LIBRARY%20Files/PDF/P/PDF%20PremiumRatesIndivMarket.pdf

I'm far from alone on this palzy, but just for argument sake, even you would have to say (assuming that what you posted is accurate) that a 10% increase (on average, some even more) is a very far cry from "everyone's insurance rates will go down by $2500 annually" ~ BHO.

Obamacare is totally fraudulent, we all were defrauded, even you.
That's it, in a nutshell.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Boehner has been defrauded. Ain't that amazing?
He volunteered.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible some plans will see significant increases due to the requirements to include pre-existing conditions. So, there are going to be some folks that will pay more as their insurance pool may be required to absorb folks with higher health care expenses.

This can cause premiums to increase in some plans. But, this is NOT a function of the subsidies. It is not the poor you are paying extra for...it is the sicker folks. Please redirect your anger to the appropriate slackers.

The subsidies are financed through reduced payments to providers for Medicare and Medicaid. Major hospitals, generally, endorsed this aspect of the plan since they were absorbing much of the costs of treating the uninsured anyway.

Healthy middle-aged folks, with generous plans, are paying more. Boohoo! Why my lack of sympathy? Because they will get their reward by reaping much more health care reimbursement as they live 25 years into Medicare. A problem that keeps the Medicare actuarial nerds up all night.

BTW, the ACA is, largely, health insurance reform. And, about those polls...many are disappointed the health care plan is not single payer. Most of the "lefties" on this forum would rather have that and have not been thrilled with the law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 3 of 62

Jump to: