myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard ultrasonic for intermediate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Starboard ultrasonic for intermediate Reply with quote

I love my Exocet Windsup 11'8 but would like to add a shortboard. I'd rate my skill level as a mid range intermediate and weigh about 210lbs. Typical conditions for me 15-low 20s mph Lake Michigan chop and swell.
I have no real experience with shortboards but I'm thinking about a bigger freeride like the Go 161 or the SB Ultrasonic or even the JP Super Light Wind.
I think the Go would be the safest choice but I'm wondering about Ultrasonic and SLW because of their light wind performance but I'm concerned they will be too technical for my skill set.
Just looking for some thoughts from those who have used these boards and how user friendly they might be or not. Thanks.
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US is very easy to sail but it is a handfull powered in chop. I love it and I am a poor excuse for a windsurfer. I also have a windSup 11'8". The US accelerates much more quickly and is much faster. I think for where I live it would be the one board I would keep if I could only keep one. I don't like it for sail sizes below 7.0 though. In any case you will have no problem sailing it.
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to rangerider , the US is too fast to be sailed comfortably in chop. You would be better with a 130/120 Freemove. I got a 110 Starboard AtomIQ /170lb Chicago/ and Im very happy with it! Incredible range, stability and chop handling!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ... probably THE MOST ... important factor in choosing one's second -- or fifth -- board is cost, for one simple and universal reason: our skills and interests progress rapidly at your stage, at which we go through boards like size 13 feet through size 6 ten-dollar booties. I hope you're looking at used boards, which should save you well over a thousand dollars.

There is no perfect second or 373rd board; if you can see the ballpark, that's good enough. Your ballpark, very broadly, is defined most briefly by two parameters: volume and user-friendliness, ESPECIALLY in bumpy water. Racy boards are for racing, not learning how to windsurf, just having fun, or playing in chop and swell.

Mike \m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just looking for some thoughts from those who have used these boards and how user friendly they might be or not."

I think isobars missed this sentence.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail mostly my Kona One, same weight and skill as yours.

I tried a Go 139, I think 80 cm wide vs 70 for Kona 1. Sailing it was surprisingly similar to the Kona on the plane. Passive planing threshold is about the same. Biggest difference: it stays on plane much longer in lulls. I guess this indicates that active planing threshold will also be lower.

The K1 is much nicer in unreliable wind however since it is not annoying to go on and off the plane on it.

For my own purpose, I will eventually look for a much larger board in order to complement the K1 in light and reliable wind. (not too often here) The SLW would be a good contender. The US too since when the chop begins to be annoying, the wind is high enough to get the K1 fully on plane and keep it there. Or maybe a large 140 freemove?

Since your WindSUP is even larger than my K1, you shouldn't skimp on width to avoid getting 2 boards with very similar use ranges.

BTW, in my conditions, the K1 gets cumbersome in big chop that starts to happen in 6.0 weather. So my next board will be a shortboard around 110l.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra sonic is a blast, it gets up on the fin and goes. it is smooth in the chop if you keep the pedal down. it also smooths out better with a stiffer fin. the racer heads typically want lots of planing power with large wide boards. so the fins that come with racy, light and somewhat fragile boards add to the lively ride when lit up.

exocet nano 125 or 135 may be what you like. a bit friendlier to cope with gusty conditions that the windSUP 11'8" tends to make us not notice as much.

low price line with great performance,

http://www.exocet-original.com/nano.php

Program // Freeride
NANO
DURABILITY AND PERFORMANCE

The NANO line is based on our previous best board shapes, built in the AST technology. The NANO boards offer performance, accessibilities for a dime for any sailors or center.

Features
Thin rails for ultimate maneuverability.
Super comfortable footstraps.
Doom deck shape for planning efficiency.
ASA construction : Max durability at minimum cost.

longer lengths and a more well rounded fin performance may be just what you are looking for.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 to 20 mph is a nice range
excellent for "planing"
for 210 lbs that's probably 7.x to 9.x sails
on flat water my AHD 160 liter/79 cm wide board could do it all
however, 7.x in chop can be "jarring" on this board
it is then that i prefer a more narrow board
even my Mistral Equipe 220 liter/65 cm longboard does better with a 7.x in chop

unfortunately i have only had the chance to use my JP SLW92 once in less than ideal conditions - too light
it was in 10 to 12 knots with some wind shadow
i am NOT technical either, but when that beast planed, it was a RIOT
in those winds there was no chop nor swell

you may be better off with a narrower board like jingebritsen suggested
however, liters can be your friend too
my 225 pound buddy has one board - Fanatic Hawk 135 and hardly gets out
unfortunately the new trend is wider and lighter - go for used if u can
if you were in Montreal you could try my longboard, SLW and/or AHD !!!
next year will put Sailboarder on my JP SLW !!!

-------------------------------------------
Kai sailed across Lake Michigan and besides the section in the middle, the lake did NOT look so bad !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwcx0NnTTQo
what are the other heavyweights using in your area ??
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day probably it doesn't matter so much what kind of short board you are going to get. The more important question IMO is if you are going to have fun sailing it and the biggest obstacle to your progress and overall satisfaction with your future short board is Lake Michigan itself I'm afraid. You are already aware of its constant chaotic chop even in the lightest of winds with the only exception when it's offshore. If this has caused you balance problems on the SUP they will be grossly exaggerated on a short board in non planing conditions-they tend to get very unstable when non planing and the last thing you'll need are the waves rocking you at the same time. And the trouble doesn't end here Sad Once you start planing /and keep in mind that you'll need a bigger sail then those you are probably currently/ the control problems will kick in. Any short board becomes a raging bull under the feet of an inexperienced windsurfer when planing in the "washing machine ". It will spin, it will jump in every direction, turn upwind, dive you name it . You will crash ...a lot . And maybe you are right to put the Go on top of your list. It is a beginner short board and will be more durable. I started with a BIC Core 160 and it took a lot of abuse without a single crack! The reason I didn't suggest a beginner board in my first reply is that they get boring too fast and you already have an excellent light wind solution.
Anyway the direction I want to point you to with all my "preaching" /my apologies/ is towards the small lakes all arond Lake Michigan. That's where I ptogressed happily after I learned my Big Lake lesson firsthand. I gotta go now and if you want more information I'll get to it later.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Any short board becomes a raging bull under the feet of an inexperienced windsurfer when planing in the "washing machine ". It will spin, it will jump in every direction, turn upwind, dive you name it . You will crash ...a lot .

Man, does that accurately bring back images of several NM buds who just didn't get enough short board TOW. Even on small lakes with knee-high chop, they looked like drunk first-time bull riders in their first few sessions each season. Those who quit too soon gave up the sport; the more dedicated sailors got past that stage and never looked back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: