myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was blowing nicely 17-22 knots, so I got out on the 5.0 but it came down as a storm rode by. I waited for a while then switched up to my bigger board. Still it wasn't enough but it finally kicked back in as the storm moved away and I was able to plane a little, it was quite gusty.

I could have maybe had two attempts but it was quite light. So I went home and cried.

I never imagined it would be so hard to at least try one.
I have two days left, I got to try at least one if not for me, for all the support from the board members!
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole 40 deadline thing is ruining your fun Manuel and if it's not fun it doesn't make sense anymore. That's what I meant with "relax" : take your time, enjoy your vacation and forget about it-maybe it's not meant to be now. Give it a try once in a while when you feel like it. It will happen one day sooner or later. Smile now and have a good time Very Happy
rexi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great spot to sail on those videos! Have fun sailing and send a report when you go for it Smile
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind, no pain no gain! I've been forgetting about it for too long, for sure life still goes on even if it doesn't happen within two days but wouldn't it be the best birthday present?

rexi, thanks for the support, I'll focus on looking back, I think this is a key element to help remove the last bit of fear (as opposed to looking downwind!)

Banzaï !
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while I had the 40 years looping deadline. Which came and went 3 years ago, but I am making progress. Have not made one yet, but from a distance my crashes could be mistaken for a loop. A
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it, I've finally tried a few, only I ran out of vodka at the house!
I'm delighted to have at least tried before the big 40. Now the pressure is off.

Conditions were pretty crappy: weak wind 13-19 knots, quite gusty with strong current. There were nice waves out on the reef, it'll be for tomorrow or the next day for sure. But today and tomorrow, it's loopies time.

On the few gusts that I caught I was able to try three times. The second one was the best, not bad where I look back. On the other ones, I don't believe that I can do it and don't fully commit which is the worst In regards to shoving the feet deep in the straps, I'd recommend the rear one only, and stay conservative with the front one (unlike on my third attempt).

I had a great exercises session too where I timed my jumps with the chop to mimic the conditions, it's helped with looking back each time.

Nothing replaced the true attempts though where I could feel the board float, here is a couple of photos:

And the video:

It's not easy being a windsurfer!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm getting the wrong picture of what's happening, but it appears that you are jumping out of the straps before rolling forward. Is it happening automatically, or are you electing to bail from the straps? Unless you can bring the board around with you, it's going to be tough to pull it off. Maybe making the forward more like a cheese roll would make it easier, especially off of chop.

Don't get me wrong, I admire your go for it attitude. In all the years that I've windsurfed, I never once had the nerve to even try a forward loop. I hope you can pull it off before your 40th.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Maybe I'm getting the wrong picture of what's happening, but it appears that you are jumping out of the straps before rolling forward. Is it happening automatically, or are you electing to bail from the straps? Unless you can bring the board around with you, it's going to be tough to pull it off. Maybe making the forward more like a cheese roll would make it easier, especially off of chop.

Don't get me wrong, I admire your go for it attitude. In all the years that I've windsurfed, I never once had the nerve to even try a forward loop. I hope you can pull it off before your 40th.

In the last video there are three attempts jumping in the straps at planing speeds. The rest are all exercises to practice the move without the need to plane and therefore require to be out of the straps.

In the first attempt I get yanked out of the straps landing backwards. In the second one I'm spinning a little (like 1/4 turn) and the landing is softer. The third one is the worst with the least commitment and rotation where my front foot gets stuck.

Tomorrow I'm 40 at 1750 local time which is when I'm normally on the water except that the forecast seems a bit wacky with lots of rain. We shall see.

At least the pressure is off, if I can throw a few tomorrow with a bit better landing I'll be a complete 40 y/o man. Otherwise I'm still happy I'm on the right track!
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for the bubbly now or whatever you drink. Cheers! Happy Birthday!!!
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Time for the bubbly now or whatever you drink. Cheers! Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you, I'm listening to the Rocky's soundtrack, Europe, the Scorpions, go 80s! Laughing Mr. Green Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25

Jump to: