myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wind_addict10

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up guys! Try doing some light wind Wymaroos to re-enforce the hand/head movements, then try doing them with a bit more wind in sub planning. Every attempt takes you 1 step closer and breaks down the fear barrier in your mind. Do 100 non planning wymaroo's, then try and do 100 in the straps and just planning ones. When your pretty comfortable doing this, try doing a full planning Wymaroo. You *MUST* try one within the first 2 runs for your session, otherwise you will start thinking too much and your fear will creep into your head and you wont do any for that day. If you do one on your first or second run you will be in the zone and ready to smash out a few. Try and do atleast 10-20 attempts each session, then after that stop trying and enjoy the rest of the day. Smile
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucaro, have you water started out of one? Maybe 45 is a more reasonable limit for me too!

The wymaroo technique isn't a bad idea (and what I originally started with), it does have the pitfall of using a slightly different technique. It's not as violent for sure although it did ring my head when wearing a helmet.

LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Manuel

I think you much further along than I was at 40 so stick with 41.

I have water started out of 1 loop, but I did not really count it because the sail did not stay in the air. After coming around I must have pulled the rig down to the surface of the water, but I was able to fly it and then water start out with both feet in the straps.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind_addict10 wrote:
You *MUST* try one within the first 2 runs for your session, otherwise you will start thinking too much and your fear will creep into your head and you wont do any for that day. If you do one on your first or second run you will be in the zone and ready to smash out a few.

Now that's good advice!
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very frustrating session today where I got stuck again. I was doing some board less loops to pump myself up and get into the groove, while trying a wymaroo the mast hit the board's nose and cracked it.

I was angry and thought it'd help my motivation but I jumped and couldn't pull the trigger.

Maybe I got too much thinking going on so I need to simplify. Jump downwind a little, look back and sheet in. This is just ridiculous!

LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Very frustrating session today where I got stuck again. I was doing some board less loops to pump myself up and get into the groove, while trying a wymaroo the mast hit the board's nose and cracked it.

I was angry and thought it'd help my motivation but I jumped and couldn't pull the trigger.

Maybe I got too much thinking going on so I need to simplify. Jump downwind a little, look back and sheet in. This is just ridiculous!

That really sucks. For me I found that it is less scary to pull the trigger on the way up the ramp. Once in the air I seem to have more fear esp when the nose starts to point down to the water.

Thinking Big, Small, Big helped too. Going up the face of the wave I try and standup and reach up pushing the rig forward (and to windward hopefully). Once the nose of the board is clear of the ramp (but tail still on ramp) then I initiate the pull on the backhand.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pull as we are heading up is exactly what needs to be done. When heading downwind the catapult makes the fin clear after the nose gets up. While when waiting to jump, on the few attempts I've had, my board lands back down and then I get catapulted.

I'm really eager to break the fear so I can work on making nice ones!

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:

That confuses me a bit. You are talking about 2 different things here. In the "jump off" drill, damaging the board is easy - I've done it when a gust hit just as I wanted to go. But in the Wymaroo exercises, you stay in the straps (or at least try to). Damaging the board is almost impossible as long as you hold on to the boom. I must have done at least 10 x more Wymaroo drills, without ever getting even close to damaging the board. How did you nose damage happen?
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a wymaroo that turned into a strap less jump off. So either we should attempt the wymaroo and stay in the straps until we are passed downwind at all costs or we should do a jump off without pushing the board downwind before the jump.

I hesitated and have such a habit of jumping off that I did it automatically. We're getting a break here (3 days now), feels good on my body and trying to clear my brain from all that clutter!

wind_addict10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Yes it was a wymaroo that turned into a strap less jump off. I hesitated and have such a habit of jumping off that I did it automatically.

When I learned to do them, I never did the strapless exercises, only the in strap wymaroo's. I also read that doing the strapless exercises can instill another bad habit into your learning process, ie getting into the habit all the time, which sounds like what you are in. Remember to move your front hand back till it touches the harness line, and move your back hand right back so your arm is nearly fully stretched right out. Doing this will put your "swing weight" at the back of the boom, and it should be pretty hard to smash the nose, your then more likely to land on your board with your body first.

Also on the hand movements, don't move your hands back in the last second, because you will forget to do it. When you see a nice small piece of chop say 10 mtrs ahead, immediately get your hands in the right spot and sail like that to the chop, you will then be more committed and ready to bust out the move and also one less thing to think about having to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 5 of 25

Jump to: