myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days Reply with quote

Well that's it, 6 days left and still no loopies... crickey.
It's been 2― years since my first wymaroo attempts. Since then, hundreds of sessions later and still no attempt.

I never thought it'd be so hard to at least try a few. Anyway, lately I have been trying a few pre-loop exercises to get the wind into the sail and launch myself forward, I feel like I got it especially moving my hands way back but it's the attempt itself which isn't clicking.

It's just not the same to throw myself forward once in the air after a full planing jump!

I'd like to at least throw myself around within 6 days because I feel pretty desperate at this point!

Last edited by manuel on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry Lopez thru his first when he was 50
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After how many years of windsurfing?
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing worse than a deadline. Best to you for being crazy enough to try one! I would think you could cut yourself some slack, listen to the pros here and still be cool in 7 days.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought a deadline would push me as I keep putting it off. Today again didn't even try.

Session of the day to show level:

Last edited by manuel on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
rexi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man i know what you are on about!
I did my first forward attempts about 2 years ago, and it actually was not bad, didnīt hurt and was going well. My first attempt was after i gave myself a deadline, wasnīt going to jibe until i had tried it. I ended up sailing to the other side of the bay but went for it Smile Then had about 10 tries or so and all good.

Then i was off the water for 2 months or so and had another attempt in big waves, that ended up in a far bigger loop then i had intended, straight over the mast and a big crash. Then i got a little scared and didnīt try it for some time, then foot injury= no attempts for 6 months. Then this spring i had an ICD fitted and that really reduced my confidence + left me of the water for 3 months. Now iīm all good and set to go but i feel like iīm starting all over, really lacking confidence in those loop attempts!
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try a different approach:like dedicating a session to looping and nothing else? I mean you'll be mentally prepared, focused , you are taking your time before going in choosing what you feel the best kit for the task will be , which part of the bay, etc. You are telling us that you want it badly, but your video tells a different story: it shows you having incredible fun, it makes me drool here in the frozen solid "Chiberia" -its 10F outside right now-but it doesn't show even the slightest attempt at forward /unless you've cut them out/.
Not that I ever tried it but I imagine that would be the right approach-dedication .
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rexi wrote:
Man i know what you are on about!
I did my first forward attempts about 2 years ago, and it actually was not bad, didnīt hurt and was going well. My first attempt was after i gave myself a deadline, wasnīt going to jibe until i had tried it. I ended up sailing to the other side of the bay but went for it Smile Then had about 10 tries or so and all good.

Then i was off the water for 2 months or so and had another attempt in big waves, that ended up in a far bigger loop then i had intended, straight over the mast and a big crash. Then i got a little scared and didnīt try it for some time, then foot injury= no attempts for 6 months. Then this spring i had an ICD fitted and that really reduced my confidence + left me of the water for 3 months. Now iīm all good and set to go but i feel like iīm starting all over, really lacking confidence in those loop attempts!

The dedicated loop sessions are definitely the best.
Otherwise, we can easily get distracted. At the very least dedicate a part of the session. I remember spending time looking for ramps that weren't there or lacking wind when I needed it, etc. It's absolutely amazing the amount of excuses!

adywind wrote:
Why don't you try a different approach:like dedicating a session to looping and nothing else? I mean you'll be mentally prepared, focused , you are taking your time before going in choosing what you feel the best kit for the task will be , which part of the bay, etc. You are telling us that you want it badly, but your video tells a different story: it shows you having incredible fun, it makes me drool here in the frozen solid "Chiberia" -its 10F outside right now-but it doesn't show even the slightest attempt at forward /unless you've cut them out/.
Not that I ever tried it but I imagine that would be the right approach-dedication .

There's a loop exercise at the beginning (0:27), normally I throw way more but it was windy with waves so I spend time doing other things!

I'm lucky it looks windy all the way till my birthday so I can have no regrets when I finally try them!

Come on, come ON!
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a spirit! Go manuel!!! Very Happy
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of spirit... how about a shot of the local ron? hips Laughing Mr. Green

So simple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDOrx1__CGE

Last edited by manuel on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: