myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, yesterday with some good wind for a change, I was able to accomplish a major change in my loops. After about 2 hours to backslapping, jump and launch type of attempts, I knew I had to stop these parasite jumps before throwing the sail. So I try to launch forward, off of a small wave at small speeds, extending my arm fully before clearing the fin and the board just followed.

The rotation felt much smoother, easier and I landed in a much more manageable position. Unfortunately it was after 2 hours of pretty good winds and I was spent. Still I pulled 3 attempts like this, they all were very similar and only lacked speed and height to waterstart away.

For the first time I was also able to do 3 attempts that looked very similar and not so wobbly or uncertain. I didn't have fear going into them because for some reason I got used to throwing the move while still on the water. It's an odd feeling to start getting pulled while still on the water but the board just follows and it's actually easier to tuck the board below me.

I have a strong feeling that my next try might actually end up in landed loop!

manuel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now that Irma is gone... back to the forwards... woah 13-29 knots mostly 16-26 and on 4.5 I wasn't super comfortable.

Yet I tried 20 fronts and about 10 backies. On the forwards, I was so close to land a couple but kinda ran into a lull and with my shy speed it didn't happen.

I had immense bails especially when everything connected I dediced to not go, darn! but I can see progress especially given the tough conditions.

I noticed that I lack confidence to sheet in, that's a biggie, by fear of rotation too fast and landing hard. So I don't sheet in hard, nor move my back hand back enough and I land heavily on my back as a result.

I did land one where my gear spun around and set up in front of me as opposed to upwind of me, that felt really good.
These tough windy conditions though are where we make the most progress. A year or so ago, I would have probably not tried much.

I was a bit surprised because the forecast called for 1.8m 15s waves from José but they never really turned out.
Mostly the next day when the wind just shut down.

Now Friday on, everything looks really good especially Saturday on, 18 knots, with small waves, perfect for a chicken like me!
With over 400 attempts, 500 must be the new magic number but it needs to happen in September!

One of my latest sessions with Franzi yelled behind me:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Manus-Windsurfing-Blog-204083476593704/photos/?tab=album&album_id=513055989029783

Teaser:

philodog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel, what is your progress with backloops? Forwards were easy once I found the cajones to pull the trigger (took four agonizing years of self hatred) . Backloops are easy to attempt but I am having little success in landing one.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with my progress with backloops. The spot makes it really easy to throw them when the waves are curling nicely because of the side-on conditions.

Not sure these links will work but these are from my latest attempts.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21433020_512343455767703_667269091356267167_n.jpg?oh=5dd7c114ceccd527f451c7bf6b9f61f0&oe=5A51BDCA

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21742879_514009272267788_956879760805786656_n.jpg?oh=481f4a564ab763e1fbe0e9925ffd485c&oe=5A14440C

I'm getting really good rotation from them and love getting good projection off of the wave. I believe that's they key to a good backloop, wave timing and reading.

Total number of attempts on backloops is probably around 200. Difficult to estimate, I know 30-50 last year and this year maybe 100-150?

But true nose-first landings have just started, where I'm driving the nose of the board into the water. Maybe 15-20 ? Lots of back and side slaps to get there.

We don't have much wind in the waves so holding onto the sail isn't as challenging as other spots. Finding a wave that'll do most of the work for us is the best.

So not much to contribute on this subject but it's much less scary than forwards that's for sure!

EDIT: Here is one when I'm driving the board into the water. I lacked a bit of rotation still and my back hand isn't far enough back to control the sail but the idea is here!

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21433265_512343639101018_5106710126797067010_n.jpg?oh=8bc791a1d4a4001f8c9eb21badb77d40&oe=5A587FD8

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with those aborted attempts. They can cause some serious injuries.

You'd probably have more confidence and learn faster if you wore head, face, and torso armor. Additionally, one cracked rib or spit sternum would cost you significant progress, time, and confidence. I consider my armor not only defensive but offensive, as I will try things with it that I'd not try without it.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to him ^^^^^, he can't tack, he can't forward, he can't backie. All he knows how to do is look ridiculous on the river and perfect the art of grumpy, old, conservative-nut job.

You're doing fine Manuel: keep up the stoke and good effort.

manuel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree, hence my face (mad at myself for bailing).

The thing though is now I'm quite good at it. I know when to release the back hand to set the mast perpendicular to the board (which I set up for a nose dive) and move my front hand forward to better control where the sail lands (and keep my head away from the mast, it does kinda hurt a little when hitting it).

On the other hand getting more comfortable bailing means fewer attempts... and I tend to bail when it's "good!"

On top of personal protection devices, I would also recommend a board nose protector of sorts. I rarely hit mine so hard but still enough to crack it once in a while. So it's gone through many repairs.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Don't listen to him ^^^^^, he can't tack, he can't forward, he can't backie. All he knows how to do is look ridiculous on the river and perfect the art of grumpy, old, conservative-nut job.

Why do so many people think it's acceptable to undermine valuable advice to scores of fellow windsurfers and attack people personally just because the target supports the Constitution, capitalism, a strong national defense, and the reduction of corrupt big government interference in our daily lives?
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops my reply was directed at iso regarding the helmet but rigitrite squeezed in just before I completed my post. It can lead to confusion Very Happy !

Although, I did try wearing a helmet, a pro tec, and it actually gave me a headache after repetitive falls working on wymaroos. People on Gath don't report the same problem. I did the mast with my head on the water and I was ok, just a small bump as a result. I personally think it'd take a lot to lose consciousness.

A friend of mine got hit by a falling rig and got his face bruised up but nothing bad. I'd wear one when doing dirt windsurfing though!

On a few occasions (well rather many occasions) I fall in close to my gear and actually like to have little buoyancy so I can rise up with a slight delay to let my gear time to settle and not get hit by the rig still flying.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
I personally think it'd take a lot to lose consciousness.

I got stunned by a blow to my temple through my helmet. Crap happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 17 of 25

Jump to: