myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can totally learn to loop after 40. I think I started when I was 43. I'm 52 now and still do them. Prior to learning them, I had wanted to do them for a long time, but always chickened out.

When I finally did them, there were a few things I found helpful. First, I agree with the guys here who say just go for it. Sailing back and forth waiting for what you think is the perfect time just doesn't work. Secondly, and you may not believe me on this, is to try them with your eyes closed. The loop is a commitment move. You have to go for it. There is no 1/2 way. The wind and physics make you turn. You don't have to anything to initiate this other than sheeting in. I also found exercises not helpful-I learned by going for them.

First, look for a good wave/chop ahead of you. Get your feet in the straps securely. Move your back hand back. As you approach the ramp, unhook. Then it all happens at once when you're in the air. All you really need to do it sheet in hard and hold on. Pushing the front hand out helps too. Pull your legs up to make your body tighter. Then just wait until you land.

As to the eyes closed part, I was told to do this first by Chris Wyman. I thought he was crazy, and I never did it. Then Matt Pritchard told me the same thing, and I figured that if 2 guys that good tell me the same thing, I'm going to listen. I did, and by the end of the first day I was butt landing them, and in less than a week I could land upright and sail away from them.

The eyes closed allow you to overcome a lot of the fear. Once you mentally commit, jump and sheet in, the rest comes by itself. Once you get better and go for higher ones you'll want to open the eyes to improve the landing. And you'll work on improving your form to do them better.

The forward loop is an easy move once you get over your fears. So get over them, and go for it!
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close your eyes, Luke....Feel the Force!
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind_addict10 wrote:
[...]don't move your hands back in the last second, because you will forget to do it. When you see a nice small piece of chop say 10 mtrs ahead, immediately get your hands in the right spot

I agree it's easier not to forget to move the hand when doing it before the move. The only issue with this (which may be me overthinking) is that it's harder to reach farther back than doing it as the front hand throws the mast forward (board scissors). Also, with the hand back, it's harder to sheet out and let the sail swing windward. But for sure the idea right now is to simply just do it!

sasussman wrote:
You can totally learn to loop after 40. I think I started when I was 43. I'm 52 now and still do them. Prior to learning them, I had wanted to do them for a long time, but always chickened out.

That's awesome. What level did you think you had then?

sasussman wrote:
When I finally did them, there were a few things I found helpful. First, I agree with the guys here who say just go for it.

Anything in particular that helped you trigger the move?

sasussman wrote:
Secondly, and you may not believe me on this, is to try them with your eyes closed.

I had heard about this technique a long time ago but do not read it that often anymore. I believe this is critical when learning especially. Basically, having eyes opened and looking forward is the worst thing one can do. If not closed then at least have the head turn as the sail is thrown across before the rear hand sheets in. Even doing exercices sometimes I look back too late and sheeting in becomes harder.

Now, can I loop at 40 y/o and before 41? Wow, nearly a year already...

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally realized that I wanted to loop (probably like most of us) but didn't want to try it (probably like some of us), and this isn't going to work out, is it?

So... going back to basics... announcing the return of the Wymaroos!

Hopefully, they help speed things up!

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shy bump showing latest progress and hoping the wymaroos will save me!
Even today, I'm having a hard time getting the fins to clear, I think I lack speed and throw the move a touch too late and too slowly.

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Manuel, Glad to see that you're going back to the basics. I think that's the right call. Again, I would highly recommend doing the sub-planing drills in the foot straps, putting the rig in the right place, and allowing the sail to slowly pull you and the entire kit around. ABK Boardsports introduced this method to me a few years ago, and I think it's been quite productive.

The real loop, in the air, is all about putting the sail in the right place. The sub planing drills while you're in the straps mimic the rig and body positioning very well, and will allow you to build technique and muscle memory in a controlled, safe manner. Then, when the time is right and you're feeling good, you just do *exactly the same thing*, but in the air off of a small piece of chop. Easy peasy!

http://wind-nc.com
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sail being at the right spot is exactly right! It's often times so true anyway.

Here I can tell that I bring the sail towards me too early, I really need to let in pull me as opposed to me trying to pull it towards me at least until I clear the fins.

wind_addict1010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video of my mate trying a Wymaroo fully planing and off the back of a wave. Clearly he does not sheet in at all, but his entry is spot on and he still rotates nearly all the way around. If he had of sheeted in and held on he would of water started away from it. Hope it inspires you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy-Ay6GNHTU
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind_addictbi50 wrote:
Here is a video of my mate trying a Wymaroo fully planing and off the back of a wave. Clearly he does not sheet in at all, but his entry is spot on and he still rotates nearly all the way around. If he had of sheeted in and held on he would of water started away from it. Hope it inspires you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy-Ay6GNHTU

This is awesome, very nicely committed! Where is he now in the stages?

wind_addict1010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:

This is awesome, very nicely committed! Where is he now in the stages?

If referring to the 4 steps video by Remko, he is still on stage 3, the video was only taken a couple of weeks ago.

From your shots above it looks like your front leg is not extended (straight) enough, and you are not "throwing" the rig to windward and forward enough. If you're aggressive enough with the throw and your front leg is straight, the momentum should throw your board (fin) out of the water enough to spin proper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 6 of 25

Jump to: