myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone headed out tomorrow? :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Anyone headed out tomorrow? :) Reply with quote

iWindsurf is showing 27g54 tomorrow with 17foot wave height at SFO. Looks like a lot of fun, if you're a maniac.

I'm tempted to drive around to see if anyone is going for it.
damel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just checking to see if anyone was organizing a trip on iwindsurf. I would try for a early session at half moon bay but I am worried the rain is just going to be insane when the storm arrives.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152422247046990

Any ideas of better launches closer to SF.

PAmuddog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tide will be good at Palo Alto, flood starts at 11am from a 3' low. Perfect conditions if the wind is SE or less. I plan to be there for a glorious nooner if the forecast is accurate. And it's gonna be a warm winter session! Laughing Laughing Laughing
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My indicator says "nope"!

9051573.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.88 KB
 Viewed:  20532 Time(s)

9051573.jpg

carl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind already switched SSW at 8am, that means the cold front went thru then also (see SFO graph),,,,unfortunately too early for daylight sailing. The winds right after the front are usually unreliable.
The best winds are from the SE about an hour or two before the front, which was mostly before dawn. Hopefully nobody got caught when the wind dropped.
bert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about going out this morning..sat on my rocking chair until the notion faded away. I'm not as hard up for TOW as I was in the past and am willing to wait for more civilized conditions.
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Princeton Harbor Reply with quote

This info is posted as an FYI and not to brag, but YOU ALL BLEW IT!

The time to sail was not Thursday morning during the soggy, rainy, polluted conditions. As stated above, the best wind is AHEAD of the front. Thus, those in the know were looking at Wednesday evening.

Yes, Santa there was windsurfing (and kiting) happening on this last storm. For me, 94 liters and a 5.7 was perfect (160 lbs). Some pushed smaller gear and were fine in the gusts. I was fine in the lulls and the gusts - flat water helps. I even ventured outside the harbor mouth for a few reaches with the kites. Two hours of fairly mellow (except outside the harbor) conditions. Rain was just starting to spritz as we all packed up at dusk. Probably 10 windsurfers and 20 kites out that afternoon.

So remember, if it is raining as you are leaving to sail a storm front -- you are already too late. Recall, Winnie the Pooh's - 'A Rather Blustery Day,' followed by the flood. Wind first, then rain. Sometimes, depending on time of day, you can get wind alone and then wind and rain, but beware, the heavier the rain, the closer the front and the nearer the shutdown.

The next window is Sunday into Monday. Timing is all when chasing storm fronts. Also, I'm superstitious, so the fact I've posted this prediction means it will suck and you shouldn't bother. I am not responsible for your time, sail choice, gas money, sore throat, or any of a number of mishaps common to storm sailing. However, if you have a good time, you are welcome.

Finally, if you go, do not park in the lot associated with the businesses, or leave any rigs unattended -- they will blow away and get destroyed, along with potential private property, for which you are responsible.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was a fun day. I actually had gone to Linda Mar to check out the surf, and I could feel the wind building, but it was not strong enough to sail there and and the surf break was pretty crowded... luckily I had all my windsurf gear with me.

Went out on 4.8/101 @ 185lbs. Was light at first, but I had a good feeling that the wind would be building. After about half an hour the wind was steady and strong enough to be planing the whole time, and then it continued to build to the point where I was well powered. Sailed for about two hours.

Great day!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
rwilde

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone Gerritt! I know HMB , Princeton better then most.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin and Rich are included in the "Those in the Know" circle when it comes to Princeton Harbor. Rich and I can remember when the launch was from the Hwy 1 side, where the kites launch now. BTW - Sunday went too, but not as strong as Wednesday last week.

Anybody brave it yesterday? Looks from the graph like there was a window from 9 to Noon. But, I bet it was really sloppy and wet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: