myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FreeMove size 100-105-110L (Atom IQ vs Gecko)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonputman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: FreeMove size 100-105-110L (Atom IQ vs Gecko) Reply with quote

Short story: I decided I want a 2 board quiver. As a "summer" board I have the Exocet 10' WindSUP that I use with my 5.5, 6.6, 7.8 sails. As a "winter" board I am looking for a FreeMove that I can use with my 4.7, 5.5, 6.6 sails. I weigh 78kg and need to make sure I can still uphaul to sail home when the wind drops.

After studying all the options I came down to 2 brands only that are available to me in 2014 carbon models. Starboard Atom IQ and Fanatic Gecko.

I have been talking with 2 shops that can sell me the Atom and whilst the shop which has the 100L model says I will not have problems up hauling, the other shop which sells the 110L model says 100L will be too small and I will use the board more in the upper range than the lower range anyway.
Thing is I want that 4.7 range, what was the point otherwise selling my old 125L Rocket.
So what about something in between? The Fanatic Gecko 105 is the only 2014 board in carbon still available to me. The cheapest option is a 2013 Gecko 105 in bamboo. I did some research and found a guy that said:

Quote:
I've been sailing a 105l Gecko for about a year now.
What is different about the Gecko in comparison to a traditional freeride board? It planes as early and is as stable as a 120l board but handles like a 100l board which means a wider range of use. I use this board from sub-planing conditions all the way up to 30 knots. At 72kgs, I can easily uphaul my 105l Gecko with a 7.5m2 sail on board and I will always get back if the wind drops. I'd need at least 120l in a traditional board shape to do that and I can't hold down 120l over chop at 30 knots (I know because the Gecko replaced a 125l slalom board)."

Up to 30 knots?! Looks perfectly what I am after..

Anyway, I was looking at the sail range specs on the official websites and noticed that Starboard changed the numbers for the 2015 boards, which are the same than 2014. Also Fanatic changed the 2013 Gecko specs for 2014 - 2015, same boards.

Atom IQ 100l, 235 x 69, 4.5 - 7.5 (2015 is rated 5.0 - 8.0)
Gecko 105l, 239 x 69, 5.0 - 8.0 (2013 was rated 5.5 - 8.5)
Atom IQ 110l, 235 x 75, 5.0 - 8.0 (2015 is rated 5.5 - 8.0)
- just for reference: Gecko 112l, 239 x 73, 5.5 - 8.5

What I notice here is that 75cm wide seems to be rated 5.5 whilst 69cm wide 5.0. Also the Gecko is longer than the Atom. So it looks like the Gecko is a little less of a FreeMove and a bit more of a Freeride? Does that make sense?

> Now I need to decide between those 3 boards...
> Another question is how much of a difference should there be between a Gecko 105 in carbon or bamboo? Is the 500€ price difference justified?

Any help greatly appreciated!
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AtomIQ comes with a good price for a carbon here in the US -1680$ at the distributor. How much is it in the EU?
http://store.tridentsports.com/us/pc/Atom-IQ-c648.htm
And a comparison test:
http://www.windsurf.co.uk/2014-120-litre-freemove-boards-test-reviews-reports/
antonputman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 Fanatic Gecko 105 LTD 1.330€ + shipping
2014 Atom IQ 100/110 1.200€ shipping included
2013 Fanatic Gecko 105 bamboo 825€ + shipping

I don't see anything different between the 105L 2013-2014-2015 Gecko's but I am not sure, maybe better ask at Fanatic.

* btw I downloaded a German test result FREEMOVEBOARDS LARGE 2014

Starboard Atom IQ 110
Control 10
Soft vs Direct 4
Planing 10
Windrange 9
Topspeed 7
Sportive gybe 7
Learning gybe 10
Tight gybe 5

Fanatic Gecko 105
Control 9
Soft vs Direct 5
Planing 9
Windrange 8
Topspeed 8
Sportive gybe 9
Learning gybe 10
Tight gybe 7
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the German test results much closer to my own experience then the British ones Confused Good thing I know German Very Happy
No used Firemoves 110 V1s? Those are good , I think it's a mistake to take them out of the picture.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Atom 110. A very well built board. Good straps and super nice pads. The fin sucked. Replaced it with a MFC Liquid Pro. Much better. These are big boards for their size. I felt that the Atom was heavy for a " carbon board". It weighed 19.8 lbs with out the fin. My JP Magic ride 104 wood weighed in at 17.2 LBS. The major difference is size The JP is 68cm and the Atom is 74cm. Still it seems wood vs. carbon the Atom is over weight at almost 3 LBS more. That said, the Atom did everything I wanted and did it well. The only reason I sold it was that it was too big. I would still have it if I got the 100 instead....
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own opinion is that the "fun factor" sweet spot of the Freemoves is the moderate wind and moderate chop/waves type of conditions. My theory is that every type of board has its fun sweet spot regarding conditions and I think that 110-120l matches your weight best for the moderate winds. It will be easier to get used to and sooner or later you'll start looking for a lot smaller FSW or wave board for strong wind anyway.
Tom, I was surprised by the weight of the AtomIQ too-my 110 is 8.6kg with footstraps /no fin/. I was afraid it may have some water inside because it's nose had few light cracks, but then I figured that it just may have more reinforcement to compensate for the less thickness. Also I'm wandering in what kind of conditions you are sailing in and do you have other boards beside the 100L AtomIQ ?
antonputman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the German test results the RRD FireMove is pretty mediocre.

RRD FireMove V2 102
Control 9
Soft vs direct 7
Planing 8
Windrange 7
Top speed 7
Sportive gybe 9
Learn gybe 9
Tight gybe 8

The MagicRide score better than The Firemove

JP Magic Ride 104
Control 10
Soft vs Direct 6
Planing 9
Windrange 8
Top speed 8
Sportive gybe 9
Learn gybe 10
Tight gybe 6

Just to compare to a "classic" Freeride

Tabou Rocket 115
Control 9
Soft vs direct 5
Planing 9
Windrange 8
Top speed 8
Sportive gybe 10
Learn gybe 9
Tight gybe 6

You can do some interesting sorting and avarages on those numbers.
Based on my primary parameters like control, windrange, learn gybe etc the Atom IQ is always in my top 3, very close to the Gecko and Magic Ride.
Directly under those 3 I got 2 "classic" boards the 115 Rocket and 111 Hawk.

I just wanted to see if there is any link between the boards width and those results. The Atom seems a very good board, but I am afraid that the 75cm width in the 110 model will affect the bottom wind range (my 4.7 sail). The Atom 100's width seems a lot better but it's volume might be to small.
I much prefer the 105 Gecko's dimensions, which less wide and a longer board. They are almost identical to the Magic Ride.

Novaan you used to have the Atom 110 and changed it for a 105 Magicride..
Do you feel the Magicride has more control and range in higher winds?
Also can you describe the 2 FreeMove boards you owned in comparison to your Tabou Rocket 115.

Since I had the 125 Rocket and loved the board just lacked that 4.7 - 5.5 range I am looking for. The Rocket 115 is rated for 4.7
Question is if adywind's opinion is that these FreeMove boards shine in moderate winds, would it not be better to just get that 115 Rocket and be over with it?
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only you could go somewhere to demo few boards it wold make your choice easier. Also many times I offer felow windsurfers that we switch boards or rigs for a run or two just to experience different kit and setups and Ive never been rejected . Here's a pic of me and a friend riding each other's boards . I'm on his Firemove he is on my AtomIQ and we have very different sailing styles and rig setups Smile

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  240.27 KB
 Viewed:  24746 Time(s)

image.jpg

gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anton,

Which board did you purchase?

Looking at the specs for the new Rocket Wide 108, they list sail size 4.7 to 8.0. That seems awfully generous, but in flatter water 4.7 might work; I would think that 8.0 would only work for a lightweight, highly skilled windsurfer.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputman wrote:
In the German test results the RRD FireMove is pretty mediocre.

RRD FireMove V2 102
Control 9
Soft vs direct 7
Planing 8
Windrange 7
Top speed 7
Sportive gybe 9
Learn gybe 9
Tight gybe 8

My google translator says this about the Firemove 102:

Especially now that really tangy gliding, taut and directly underfoot, like, this, the board can so unscrupulously chase through the chop like no other board of the group. The Fire Move never really sets a, the fin provides more resistance to the rear foot, but while the bombproof feel that Stern could never slip. Even space Winds of RRD is a never, but without showing this tendency to take off. The gliding appear perfectly matched - and then concreted safe side firmly. As sure cuts the board by the curve, can be pressed tightly and takes a lot of speed on the new course with.

I note: "this board can so unscrupulously chase through the chop like no other board in the group." Very Happy

Also, it sounds as though it is pretty "planted", and can be jibed fairly tightly with good speed coming out of the turn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: