myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The mystery of the Starboard AtomIQ 110 SOLVED!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, someone on the Starboard forum /where I posted a shorter version of this post Twisted Evil / also suggested a WOOD underside and it explains the weight and the boards behavior somewhat. The conseqwences are obvious: reduced cost; increased durability ; softer ride in chop but decreased performance espatially in the lower end.
The rest of the questions remain though: the different paint /it's solid like in the top picture but lighter/, why being silent about it; did the British magazines review a full carbon version; do different markets get different construction???
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I got a response from Tiesda on the Starboard forum who confirmed that the bottom is wood indeed and suggested that I email them pictures so they can look into it. Looks like the mystery starts to unravel Smile
Where they got the idea of my board having a black bottom is not clear though Confused Here is his response:
"Can you send over photos of your board, the serial number and the weight without footstraps or fins fitted?

Send it to 'info@star-board.com' and I'll be able to look into it.

The AtomIQs are indeed carbon deck and wood bottom, as are most of our carbon boards. Carbon works great in tension, but not so much in compression. Wood works great in compression. Considering the forces acting on a board travelling at full speed, that's why one of our most efficient constructions uses carbon on the deck and wood on the bottom. It's a unique way to combine the properties of two contrasting materials.

Furthermore, because the AtomIQs are extra thin, their surface area is greater than the classic board of the same volume. So they appear on paper to be heavier than usual. A good way to check if the weight is good, is to compare it to a classic Freeride board 10 liters larger, then deduct what 10 liters id EPS foam would weigh (I.e. 150g).

Having said all that, the bottom should be a light-finished paint over wood. You'd normally even see the wood texture through the paint. So to have the bottom black under the paint seems strange."
A bad quality picture I made in the dark of my garage. The color is solid grey and no textures are visible wood or otherwise. Maybe whoever painted it aplied a lot more paint than they were supposed to ?!?
Also the weights appear to be preliminary estimates /the small text in the printed catalogue pic.2/ that never got updated on the webpage and I'm assuming the British magazines used the estimates unlike the German Surf who used a real figure.
Will see...I need a better quality pictures and weight measurement without the straps first.

Last edited by adywind on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I was able to take few pictures outside and to weigh the board without the footstraps. I emailed Starboard and now I'm awaiting their reply wich may or may not place the final peace of the puzzle -why is the colour different.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.74 KB
 Viewed:  14260 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Viewed:  14262 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB
 Viewed:  14262 Time(s)

image.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the deck part of the nose?
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
What happened to the deck part of the nose?

There are 3 small ckracks /I bought it used from Big Winds/ and I just spread crudely some "Aquaseal " over the whole area for just in case until I decide what to do with them.

image.jpg
 Description:
Before
 Filesize:  1.93 MB
 Viewed:  14230 Time(s)

image.jpg

sav1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. The weight is probably due to water in the nose encapsulated by aquaseal Very Happy
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sav1 wrote:
LOL. The weight is probably due to water in the nose encapsulated by aquaseal Very Happy

I don't think so. The cracks look minimal-surface layer only-if there is any water inside at all it is just drops. It's a 2014 board after all -how much water would get in thru those tiny cracks even if the damage was done on the first day on the water and even if it wasn't patched right away ?!?
Also in the Surf mag the weight quted is 7.91- my scale shows 8.0. Check the upper left corner of the next picture. The highlighted weight is the Starboard theoretical estimate.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.48 KB
 Viewed:  14180 Time(s)

image.jpg

adywind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys but the hull in this picture out of Boards mag looks exactly like the deck and suspiciously carbonish Confused Unlike mine Sad No?!?
Somebody cheating here Evil or Very Mad ?!?

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.42 KB
 Viewed:  14175 Time(s)

image.jpg

antonputman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of a 2014 100L model, same as yours. You can actually see the wood.
http://shop.otc-windsurf.com/product/boards/2014-starboard-atomiq-100-carbon/

My local dealer in Italy, did NOT describe his 2014 100L model like this though..
I can't find a picture of a bottom with the carbon washed look right now.

Photo-26-07-2014-11-23-13-e1409841516981.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.75 MB
 Viewed:  14113 Time(s)

Photo-26-07-2014-11-23-13-e1409841516981.jpg

Photo-26-07-2014-11-23-06-e1409841460456.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.71 MB
 Viewed:  14113 Time(s)

Photo-26-07-2014-11-23-06-e1409841460456.jpg

antonputman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw.. the picture you see in your Boards Mag screenshot does not have a center strap and looks like it's got 2 holes for the finbox.
I saw this also in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46B6gbNFzKU
Maybe this board was < 2014 model?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: