myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
truly amazing video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't do. We're all doomed I tell ye!

I now see that in the whole four billion year history of our planet, nothing so disturbing as the retreat of this glacier has ever happened before, and I must be to blame. I'm now determined to save the planet, and have just severely chastised myself by denial of a second and third cup of morning tea.

No longer shall I waste all that electricity in boiling endless kettles of water. I shall start a crusade in our degenerate country, and rid us of this disgusting waste, thereby saving gigawatts of power generation, and forcing the evil oily-knickered barons (and those bloody windmills) clean out of business.

Furthermore, I shall give up washing forthwith, thereby saving all that water and added pollution to the seas, which is poisoning the fish, and starving those cute cuddly polar bears to extinction.

I may even cease to drive my super efficient small car one day a week, with its disgusting habit of only doing 50/60 miles per gallon. That will set a clear example to the world!

I shall not fail from my duty, and should , heaven forbid, there be a purpose to the universe (I refuse to call it a god) my self sacrificing may just count a little in my favour!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://inhabitat.com/denmark-sets-a-new-world-record-in-for-wind-power-generation-in-2014/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Denmark is going to 'stop global warming', just by closing a few power stations.

Oh well, that's OK then, those who agonize at length over such things can heave a collective sigh of relief, and carry on jetting all over the globe whenever they please, burning millions of gallons of fossil fuel (can't fly on windmills) polluting the atmosphere.

No problem there!
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, real time UK wind output is currently approaching 20% of the entire grid in this wind event. Nuclear is at 20% currently. According to UK power grid meters. Good or bad?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be fine Frederick if that was the full picture, but we know it is not!

Proponents of windmills never admit to the problems they create - dangerous rare metal pollution where it is mined, extensive carbon footprint of building and maintaining them, the obvious point -always glossed over - that the calculations should include the cost and pollution of always having to have a string of conventional power stations manned and ticking over on standby ready to jump in at a moments notice. Astonishing how that is brushed aside!

In other words the real savings of massive wind power investment is NOT what it may seem. And yes, I know that if all the world used them and cooperated by averaging out (a pipe dream!!) some problems could be overcome.

Like it or not, nuclear power is here to stay, and will certainly be expanded in the future to meet the worlds insatiable lust for power. (We have an 'atom box' next to our surf beach, and I'm sure it keeps my wet suits irradiated, and free from stinks!!!!)
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Forgot to pick up on -

Half of our nuclear plants are currently off-line for either essential work, or are at the end of their working life spans. (Our 'atom box' was shut down last year.) So the quoted figures underplay their normal work load, which is par for the wind lobby.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh those pesky facts:

Quote:
The Northeast - Buffalo in particular - may beg to differ, but the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) says 2014 is on track to be the warmest in the 134-year history of recording Earth's average temperature.

According to Xinhua News, the term from Jan. through Oct. has had the highest average temperature since 1880, when such record keeping began. In its latest monthly report, the NOAA integrated global land and ocean temperatures, which has narrowly edged the previous record.

In Oct., the average temperature was 14.74 degrees Celsius, which is 0.01 degree Celsius higher than the all-time mark set in 2003.

"Five of the past six months have been record warm for their respective months; July was fourth warmest," the NOAA said in the report. "2014 is currently on track to be the warmest year on record.

"Record warmth was notable across a large area of southern South America, the U.S. western coastal regions, Far East Russia, parts of southern and southeastern Asia, much of southern and western Australia, and parts of southern Europe."

Read more: http://www.universityherald.com/articles/13178/20141121/global-temperature-averages-on-track-to-hit-all-time-yearly-high-amid-northeastern-u-s-cold-spell.htm#ixzz3ORM1A721

Meanwhile, California continues to have the most robust economy in the country, if not in the world, and the fourth lowest per capita CO2 emissions of the states. http://www.eia.gov/environment/emissions/state/analysis/ Half that of Texas, with more people. Wait, I thought warming was a myth, and doing something about it would ruin the economy?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What contribution has the unprecedented and continuing rise in jet aircraft travel around the globe played in this state of affairs? Could that be a major cause?

Figures?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Oh those pesky facts.........California continues to have the most robust economy in the country, if not in the world

Citation to support those "facts" please.....preferably not from Xinhau News, the official press outlet of the People's Republic of China.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image from satellite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: