myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
truly amazing video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to find, is Forbes good enough?

Go back just a few years. California was a fiscal mess. It was in the midst of losing almost 40% of its construction jobs and 12% of its real estate jobs after the housing market collapsed (and before that, the dot-com bubble burst). Most of the state’s labor market was in awful shape.

But not anymore. At long last, California is casting off its label as a job-producing laggard.

Quote:
Ben Casselman at FiveThirtyEight noted last month that no state added more nonfarm payroll jobs from March 2013 to March 2014 than California, a total of 325,000 over the last year. That puts the Golden State close to its pre-recession employment peak.

When we factor in agriculture, military, and miscellaneous federal government jobs — sectors that EMSI tracks with our comprehensive data — California had 293,000 fewer jobs in 2013 than at its low in 2007, a 2% decline. Yet according to EMSI’s latest data release, it had the most total job gains of any state from 2010 to 2013 (904,000) and the most new jobs from 2012 to 2013 (341,000). Both marks rank sixth per capita among all states, including Washington, D.C. (for a per-capita ranking of all states, see here).

GT--transportation, for the US, is 28% of CO2 emissions. Air travel, in that, 28%, is small:

Quote:
The largest sources of transportation greenhouse gases in
2012 were passenger cars (43.1 percent), light duty trucks, which include sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks, and
minivans (18.4 percent), freight trucks (21.9 percent), commercial aircraft (6.2 percent), rail (2.5 percent), and ships
and boats (2.2 percent)
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/Downloads/ghgemissions/US-GHG-Inventory-2014-Main-Text.pdf

If you are interested, you can see that the sustainable alternatives that you complain about don't really have a high carbon signature. The EPA report goes through industrial contributions by sector if you want to dig a bit.

Those pesky facts. Check them out some times.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some do become confused between improvement and absolute performance. A sprinter can improve his 20 second 100 meter time by 25%........but he still lags way behind Usain Bolt who only improved by a fraction of 1 percent. To suggest that California has "the most robust economy in the country, if not the world" is patent nonsense. It is not even in the running. It has merely improved from poor to middling.

As for the impact of alternate energy efforts on California's economy, those efforts are so small relative to the total economy, that the impact is likely minimal. The linked source indicates that carbon based energy provides 75% of CA's needs; wind/ solar/ geothermal about 3%. It is interesting to note, however, that CA's electricity costs are 5th in the U.S.. There may be a connection there.
http://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=CA
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But percentages of CO2 production in your country are not actual amounts, are they. World figures I saw (actual amount of CO2 pollution) a couple of years ago (published, but didn't keep them for future reference) showed your country, and China, to be the largest CO2 polluters in the world. For comparison in percentages, Britain only produces 2% of the worlds CO2 output.

Aircraft may appear to be only a small part of the problem compared to gas guzzling cars, but if anybody is trying to claim that jet aircraft constantly flying and polluting the upper atmosphere are not a problem, they are in denial.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT--I worked in the airport business, and I don't think airlines are an efficient form of transportation. But I have seen no studies that showed high level pollution leading to climate threats, and the numbers of flights are only now rebounding to near thre 2008 levels. Indeed, from my 20 plus years, the increasing cost of fuel and inconvenience of air security has dampened demand significantly.

Why am I not surprised that mrgybe doesn't suggest a metric--but waits for the one I used and then attacks. I stand on my quotation--the most non-farm jobs added of any state. Despite higher fuel prices and higher real estate prices. I've expected the higher real estate prices would slow California's growth for decades--and I've been wrong. And those costs are far more significant to a family budget than the small increment in electricity prices. Anyone might well object that current job growth is only one metric. Agreed--but a pretty significant one in a recovering job market. We could also use recovery in real estate values, which would support my argument as well. The point remains, efforts to lower emissions, which have been highly successful in California, have had almost no effect on the overall economy. Deregulation of energy prices (have we forgotten ENRON?) and the financial markets, cornerstones of Republican orthodoxy, have had devastating impacts.

Isn't it time to shout "Benghazi" or "Al Sharpton" or "budget deficit" to try to get the hard core to salivate like Pavlov's dog.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th highest unemployment rate in the country. Only marginally below the worst, Mississippi.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but Gov Moonbeam still supports his absolutely asinine high-speed toy railroad nobody will use.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hurt me, compare us to Mississippi. I agree that unemployment is a valid metric. Of course California's is now dropping rapidly--11.3 in 2009, 10.4 in 2012 and 7.2 in 2014. Not sure that is with or without the last quarter jobs added. Higher than Texas at 6 something--but then you really need to factor in cost of living and average wage to get a meaningful comparison. That would involve an adult conversation, not a justification and attempt to divert from the fact that net energy use--and thus cost--is way lower in California. Less than half of Texas. But then fighting climate change is a job killer says...
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California is number 2. Colorado is number 1.

http://milehighyp.com/news/colorado-is-the-top-economy-in-the-nation
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from my 3rd trip to Maui in 3 months. (my contribution to GW) Laughing It was so cold over their I contemplated buying a heater. The mountain tops were closed due to snow and ice.

I think we should all do our part and fly away.....
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Oh, hurt me, compare us to Mississippi. I agree that unemployment is a valid metric. Of course California's is now dropping rapidly--11.3 in 2009, 10.4 in 2012 and 7.2 in 2014. Not sure that is with or without the last quarter jobs added. Higher than Texas at 6 something--but then you really need to factor in cost of living and average wage to get a meaningful comparison. That would involve an adult conversation, not a justification and attempt to divert from the fact that net energy use--and thus cost--is way lower in California. Less than half of Texas. But then fighting climate change is a job killer says...

Actually, the cost of fuel in TX is 30% less than California. We just drive smaller cars and live near the temperate coast, which both bring down our consumption. WE ARE FORCED (ECONOMICALLY) TO DRIVE SMALLER CARS. THE POOR IN OUR STATE PAY THE PRICE BY TAKING THE BUS TO WORK INSTEAD OF OWNING CARS...Because they have too.

How arrogant Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: