myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4.0 or 4.8 Aerotech WindSUP?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some more thoughts on the convenience issue.

Many people I speak to who used to Windsurf and do not anymore got out of it because of the convenience issue.

Some say with kids, job, family, etc. they just don't have time to Windsurf anymore as it takes a 1/2 day by the time you get there, rig up, etc.

One reason activities like running and biking are so popular is they are so convenient and easy to do.

Windsurfing might never be an easy sport to learn how to do or as convenient as many other activities, but anything manufacturers can do to make getting on the water more convenient is going to increase the number of people Windsurfing.

WindSUP Boards, WindSUP sails, Inflatable Boards, all these things are geared to be make it easier and more convenient to get on the water, and I think they are all steps in the right direction.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I'm a bit confused about the spot that you sail and the logistics associated with doing everything. Where do you park your vehicle? How far do you walk from your car to the beach, and is it public versus private property or a mix of both? Do you have to carry everything down and back in two trips? Regarding the lay of the land at the water's edge, there is always a beach of sorts, even if it is nothing but rocks, because tidal changes creates one. While it's not the norm for me, there are some spots where I've had to rig and de-rig on the rocks. Often it's better than in the dirt.

Seemingly, you're on the east coast, and from what I understand, access to the water can be problem in many locales. Here on the west coast, access to the water is fairly good, but if it involves cutting across private land, it's usually a no go. Private land is almost always fenced off, and parking anywhere close is prohibited. As a past surfer myself, I've played all the games getting to the water, including climbing up and down large cliffs on steep narrow, and sometimes very slippery paths.

All that said, I now have to wonder how you will deal with the choice between your two sails. You never really know what the conditions will be, and what sail will be needed, until you get there. While the dedicated SUP sailing rig is simple in the fact that the sail is wrapped around the mast, I'm thinking that changing the sail is still very similar to normal sails. To get the sail off, you need to remove the boom and the mast extension, and the process needs to be reversed to rig the other sail. Where do you plan to do this?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, many of us diehards are in it for the adrenaline, inconvenience be damned. I would never go to bed at midnight, get up at 2 AM, eat a big meal, drive 175 miles to arrive at dawn, sail 'til dark, then drive back home just to say I'd been WSing, but I've done it -- or left the office at noon to drive 175 miles for even less sailing time -- countless times to challenge my skills, get my ass handed to me, and learn how to do better next time. I'll be curious to see which camp you're in once you've experienced the rush of high speed WSing in rough terrain, or REALLY high-speed WSing even on flat water. Only one who hasn't yet experienced those could even put "running" or "(street) biking" in the same sentence with windsurfing in planing conditions. They're about as comparable as kumquats and serendipity.

Most jobs and families are surmountable obstacles; much of that myth lies in the sailors' and families attitudes and actions, as proved by the thousands of WSers who juggle those and more challenges quite successfully.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler, I park on the street. I walk down a some what narrow public beach access with walls on each side. At the end of the access you have water.

Most days the water comes right up to the walls that home owners built to protect their lawn.

I make two trips, one for the board, one for the rig.

Regarding the two sails iWindsurf gives a pretty accurate view of the wind, so my plan is if the gust is 15mph or less I bring the 5.8. Anything over I bring the 4.8, and I won't no how far over 15mph I can go until I try the 4.8.

My hope is it gets me at least to 20mph gusts.

If I can go out in 0mph on my SUP up to 20mph using sails, I am probably good to be on the Ocean 95% of the time. There will be high wind warning days where the 4.8 is probably still too much, but those are not frequent.

The rig is a reasonable price as a package so I will have two complete rigs ready to go, so no need to ever take the mast out to change sails. I will just throw one in the back of my car with my board and I am off.

I hope if it is gusting to 20mph and I take the 4.8 sail that if the wind drops it does not drop too much and the 4.8 allows me still to catch waves. iWindSurf is pretty accurate here, so choose the right rig to take should be easy.

isobars, I have to admit you sound a lot more dedicated to windsurfing than me. To me it is great fun and great exercise, and I put running and biking in the same sentence because they are also great for exercise and take place outside, but to me not as much fun as windsurfing.

You are also right in where there is a will there is a way to get it done, but it seems many are not as dedicated to the sport as you are, so making it easier to access allows more to enjoy this great sport.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. Looks like you're totally set to go with what's right for you. If I could suggest one thing, I would take both rigs to ensure that you're covered for the unexpected. If theft can be a problem, you might want to invest in the cable locking setup.

Lastly, be sure not to anger the surfers by grabbing all the best set waves. You definitely don't want them to take out their frustrations on you or your car.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler, good suggestions. I don't take 2 because of theft, but locking one might be a solution.

The nice thing about WindSUPing in this spot is you can catch waves that are way outside where the surfers line up, and ride them into areas they are not going, so you are totally out of the closer to shore surfing zone. Your point is very valid, I could see them getting upset at me very fast if I venture into their zone and start to catch too many waves.

Starting this Thursday my some what private spot is closed until January 5th, as it is inside President Obama's Security Zone, so it will not be until next year I am able to sail the 4.8 in my preferred spot and report back on how it goes.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dedication comes in part because, where I've lived, it's that or not sail much. You're immersed in water and breeze and waves/swell, but
I gotta chase it or else. The dedication also wanes about the 96th time you drive 2-3 hours on a great forecast and get skunked. I envy anyone who can just look at the trees around them and choose whether to go sailing ... but not enough to move to some of the places that's practical.

I'd be sorely tempted to ask a homeowner behind one of those walls if you can't stash a second sail over his wall for a few hours once in a while. The worst he can do is say, "No, you idiot; that's why I built the wall". Very Happy
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My barely-educated guess is that even the smallest of those sails is going to be unstable in 20+, the difference being in the amount of power you have to fight. In other words: 4.8 up to 20; above that it doesn't sound like much fun even if you had the 4.0.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c, I think you are right, but if it goes up to 20 mph that gives me most days, especially in the summer.

I will know more once I try the 4.8 in up to 20 mph.

isobars, your dedication is admirable.

Regarding getting skunked I will quote Reef Warrior's Blog again:

If i only could own 1 board and 1 sail. I would choose this board and the Aerotech wind sup sail. I can show up to the beach any day, no matter what the conditions, 0-25 knots of wind or paddle and have lots of fun. Getting skunked is a thing of the past.

http://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/118-wind-sup-rocks/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one should not forget the forgiving aspects of a long board. one of the main benefits of longer hulls is their ability to have a less stable and top pulling center of effort type of sail.

i can remember using my 11'5" board in 30 degree side off hurricane driven winds with some pretty spectacular waves. wind was 8-35 or so, and i used a 5.8 charge. the sail was just big enough to help me thru the gasping lulls, the board had the stability, fore and aft, to keep me from feeling the gales were too much, esp DTL.

methinks the 4.8 may serve you well.

hope you can convince others to try windSUPP'ing. i have been doing so for 8 years with a mere handful of others. i am just baffled by the huge push back from windsurfers, wave sailors, surfers and esp former windsurfers that will kite or SUP, but refuse to acknowledge that windSUP'ing offers way more wave rides than paddling....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: