myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4.0 or 4.8 Aerotech WindSUP?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS, very well said!! Thanks!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointless to argue with those that have never launched or landed larger SUP's at a surf venue. handle in the middle of the deck is dysfunctional.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paranoia: considering the other side of a coin to be an "argument" and/or a threat to one's self.

It took me a few tries to figure out how to use that center grip to carry my board and sail combo effectively, but the payoff was huge. I have no idea, and made no claims, about its effectiveness with long boards or surf; that was your niche, not mine. Unencumbered by a sail, the center grip turns even long hikes with the board into simple, effortless, one-handed strolls, as long as they're not in the wind.

John, not every idea or skill someone else has is an attack on you, your venues, your skills, or your gear. Some ideas and observations just exist, Ingerbritsen or no Ingerbritsen, and not every one is intended to apply to every circumstance. Maybe you'll figure that out the 10th or 12th time you cry "Wolf!"
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first session with my new Aerotech 4.8 WindSUP today. It was gusting to 20 mph according to iWindSurf, but when I got there the wind was down, probably around 10 mph or less.

At 10 mph I still had enough power where I felt like I was making progress. Then the wind picked up and this little sail had a lot of power, plenty for catching waves.

Then a squall came through and it was probably blowing around 25 mph. I got down low expecting to pulled over the sail, but instead was happily surprised that I was planing fast and the sail seemed stable at that speed.

So at lower speeds the wind seems to hit the sail in different places, there by it is less stable, but because of my big SUP board not an issue.

However, I am wondering why this is labeled a non-planing sail, because when it was blowing at 25 mph, I was definitely planing fast and felt stable.

Anyway, as usual, the WindSUP was a lot of fun.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that the 4.8 fulfilled its niche. I'm glad that you were styling.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPer news.

again, i find quite baffling that so few wind users are not windSUP'ing. one can get so many more rides.

saw this on fb. might have a bit to reveal about this fashion to snub windSUP'ing?

http://truthseekerdaily.com/2014/12/this-is-the-banana-experiment-and-itll-leave-you-with-an-important-life-lesson-2/

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Wind-SUPping to be all of the good fun that the OP has described here. See pic below with surfers bunched up and me enjoying waves way off to the right:

[img][/img]

While I do other types of windsurfing with different gear and I have talked to others post those sessions about the fun of Wind-SUPping, I have gotten replies like: " I did not come this far and get to this level to go back to the beginning."
I, myself, have fond memories of "The beginning" and I think people do not know how much fun waves are with gear not unlike they used at the beginning. Most of the time "beginning" was without waves as they made learning more difficult. The truth is: A longboard (or a shortboard like the SeaLion) on waves is a lot of fun and reminds me of the old longboard surfing and its relationship to 'soul surfing'.

Not for everyone....but "everyone" does not know what they are missing.

09-23-2014 Windsurfing Session - Pleasure Point -03.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  796.83 KB
 Viewed:  13026 Time(s)

09-23-2014 Windsurfing Session - Pleasure Point -03.png

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realize that for many, maybe most, of us, light wind = mirror-flat water. Sad
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Realize that for many, maybe most, of us, light wind = mirror-flat water. Sad

Enter light wind freestyle. Again, not for everyone but definitely one of the fastest ways to develop sail handling & footwork placement.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Realize that for many, maybe most, of us, light wind = mirror-flat water."

Now if you drive due west far enough, you will ultimately arrive at the coast where it doesn't need to be super windy take advantage of the power and dynamics of real waves. In fact, in light winds the quality and integrity of the waves is arguably the best. You've got the board, and you'll find that winter on the coast to be quite temperate compared to the Gorge and the eastern desert.

What's holding you back?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: