myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4.0 or 4.8 Aerotech WindSUP?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for anyone thinking about the 4.8 Aerotech WindSUP sail.

I went out today in conditions gusting to 25 mph and felt over powered.

I think winds over 20 mph it will be more fun to be on a smaller board with footstraps and a small wave sail.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
I went out today in conditions gusting to 25 mph and felt over powered.

I think winds over 20 mph it will be more fun to be on a smaller board with footstraps and a small wave sail.

This still implies a need for more TOW, IMO, as 20 gusting to 25 implies at least a 6.0 for an experienced sailor, maybe a 5.5 if the waves are big enough to provide consistent good power and getting upwind isn't an issue. Or maybe that's what you had in mind as a "small" sail.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I need more time on the water at those wind speeds.

However, I think a 6.0 would be too large for me.

I am getting a Neal Pryde Combat and according to their wind range chart 22 knots which is about 25 mph starts at sail size 4.7. I am going with a 5.0 as I weigh 160 lbs. and I use a larger board, both of which allow for planing with a smaller sail size.

I think a lot has to do with weight and board size because I have been planing on smaller sails, where someone who weighs in the 220 lbs. range is not on a plane on a much larger sail and they had a very large fin.

If you look at their Atlas sail the 6.2 has a max of about 22 knots. To me the 5.0 is right in the middle for this wind speed, allowing me to handle higher and lower wind speeds.

http://www.neilpryde.com/wind-range-chart/sail/wind-range-chat.html
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that mfrs specs mean very little compared to the real world and personal preferences. Besides, I agree that many people can get by on a 4.7 when it's averaging 25, but we weren't talking about an average of 25.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

I have a 5.7 Wave sail but my 5.0 has some issues along with a broken boom, so I am ordered this replacement.

Next time it is gusting to 25 mph I will bring both the 5.0 and 5.7 and see what feels best.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a 5 batten 5.0 to be the foundation of my higher wind quiver. Lots of range, but still some flexibility in the holes, especially with the right outhaul tuning.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny, my east coast perspective is the 6.8 phantom being my foundation higher wind, planing sail. it gets used the most here in humble florida conditions. next most used is 5.8 charge.

today's forecast down here is 20--30 in the morning, tapering off to 10-20 in the pm. even though i'd like to rig the forecast, i see right now, predawn, that i'll have to rig the 6.8 sail.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
I will bring both the 5.0 and 5.7 and see what feels best.

THAT'S the ticket! And it's what counts. Besides, as you progress, your skills and preferences will evolve. Those who grow more efficient may choose smaller sails as they progress, others may prefer to go larger.

Then there's the not-so-little factor of the wind on the water vs the sensor readings.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone thinking about the WindSUP 5.8 I just had a session with a wind speed at average of 5 mph, gust 7.5 mph, and it was actually a lot of fun.

I was not sure if I could even sail with an average wind speed of 5 mph, so this was new to me.

There were a lot of people doing SUP, and doing the SUP thing with a sail was more fun in my opinion.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it is side off, in florida east coast and below 10 mph, quite often the wind varies in speeds and directions. i've had many sessions when it's 0-10 mph.

i use a 7.5 phantom and it provides lots of extra power when combined with the push of the waves. allows me more opportunities to grab more waves and do more on them with wave and apparent wind power.

surf is quite glassy when the wind is well below 10. makes up for the slow motion getting out process.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: