myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
US economy--all entertainment?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, threatening scientists who disagree with the oil companies, hiding the sources of funding, etc. Yep, thugs. But I never expected a thoughtful answer from someone who believes that an increase in the minimum wage will end life as we know it all together.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Only you could use "thugs" and "climate change" in the same sentence.
LOL!

Pretty easy: "Now that "communism" is a dirty word, ideological thugs are using mythical "climate change" effects as a weapon to force their same tired old socioeconomic agenda on the world."
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon Sony read the absolutely DISMAL reviews of "The Interview"; realized they were about to lose tens of millions on this reportedly horrible, unfunny, childish POS clunker; and faked this whole hack attack so the government can somehow bail them out?
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said in his usual demeaning way:
Quote:
You respond by illustrating my point--unable to stay on topic and posting your favorite conservative political talking points without seeming to grasp the underlying concept i laid out. Attention spans measured in seconds not minutes?

Actually, I found your post interesting, and for whatever reason, the general lack of productivity in our society came to mind.

Since today's society has turned away from industrialization and more toward things that keep so many sitting on their asses, I see that as a big issue. There simply aren't enough low to medium level jobs available to keep the high school graduate(and non-graduate) employed and productive. They are living at home with mom and dad, wasting 100's of hours playing their video games, surfing the web, playing on Facebook, or texting friends with meaningless drivel.

My reference to SS disability simply suggests that the country is heading in the wrong direction in combination with the things you pointed out. Too many people accomplishing way too little, with millions and millions of them on the government dole, justified or not. Bottom line - we are becoming a lazy, uneducated, dependent society.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
So NW--do you also object to the hired thugs who spread lies about climate change using money from big oil and big coal? I didn't think so.

What? Having trouble staying on topic?
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding SS Disability payments, I have to say that I don't personally know of anybody receiving such payments. I wonder if anyone here knows someone personally that is receiving SS Disability payments. If by chance you do, do you think that they are actually warranted?

I think that we all know that isobars is receiving disability payments from the government, but the reason why remains very murky. If he's able to windsurf at his age, I have to seriously question why he needs financial help from the government. If the truth were told, there are probably many folks like him that have weaseled questionable circumstances to gain government financial help. I guess the real question is how do you go after these people and test their real need.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeat, I asked whether an obsession with entertainment is undermining the successful education of our young people. One response says Section 8 is undermining our work ethic--not remotely on topic, but something Bard repeats every chance he gets. Techno goes off on a tangent about disability--then objects to my characterization of it as not on point. It wasn't.

The comment about climate denial thugs was in response to a very silly comment by NW, claiming those in favor of an increase in the minimum wage are paid, and their success will destroy the country. Ludicrous on its face--and also not on point.

Do most people need to change the channel every six seconds?
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont necessarily think it's undermining education. Kids with good parents who are applying themselves are being educated. It also depends on what you call entertainment. If you say going outdoors, windsurfing, playing in woods, bike riding, kids don't do as much of that anymore. Too many choices these days. It's priorities for them, depending on the parent. Socially, they all need to be "in". It's been the same game forever. The bigger question is our economy. It seems based on entertainment and consumption. I want a new J.P and a new Retro and I want it NOW! China is fulfilling our needs sadly.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Regarding SS Disability payments, I have to say that I don't personally know of anybody receiving such payments. I wonder if anyone here knows someone personally that is receiving SS Disability payments. If by chance you do, do you think that they are actually warranted?

I think that we all know that isobars is receiving disability payments from the government, but the reason why remains very murky. If he's able to windsurf at his age, I have to seriously question why he needs financial help from the government. If the truth were told, there are probably many folks like him that have weaseled questionable circumstances to gain government financial help. I guess the real question is how do you go after these people and test their real need.

I have a guy who works for me. He was an electrician badly injured in an industrial accident. He should qualify for assistance, but doesn't want it.

I know many section 8 folks. Most are just plain lazy. Even worse, many immigrants bring their elderly parents here and immediately put them in section 8, while they drive Mercedes and live in fancy homes. This makes me sick, and if Mac were able to see the world from my perspective he'd begin understanding how bad this system is. Europe is a few years ahead of us.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, I applaud you for hiring a disabled person. Hopefully, he pulls his own weight in what he does for you. And, it's good on him for not wanting to be a victim, even when he might be considered deserving.

Still though, even though you have a lot of angst about folks getting fat off the system, you didn't offer anything to address how we might go after those folks milking the system. Isn't it about slimming down and cutting off losers? How do we do that?

Believe it or not, I'm a bit of a conservative at heart. I'm not happy about folks gaming the system, and I think that that they should be tested more rigorously before receiving any free benefits on the back of hard working middle class Americans. What do you propose to end the endless cycle of freeloaders getting rich?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: