myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
US economy--all entertainment?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pointster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Finally, a thoughtful post on topic. Poinster--do you think that the higher education numbers have always been so small? And do you think the current entertainers on new media like Vine will be able to sustain a career, or are they going to be like one-hit wonders from the pop era?

I think we are granting more PhDs than ever. As to Vine, I think that as in all entertainment fields, a few people will make a lot of money, and most will just scrape by.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
I think we are granting more PhDs than ever.

Yep ... but what percentage of them take that knowledge back overseas, including to hostile nations or factions? A few clicks indicate something like 35 to 54%.
pointster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
pointster wrote:
Given the size of the benefit and the difficulty getting it, I think the amount of abuse of the system is not that large.

That changed by hundreds of percent since 2008. SSI used to be extremely hard to obtain; now many liberal judges and SS offices, encouraged by this administration, award it with NO PROOF. Yawannit, yaaskforit, yagotit, in many jurisdictions, according to widespread media reports, by name and jurisdiction, several years ago.

Per Forbes Magazine:

Quote:
...contrary to various rumblings on the right, President Obama is not responsible for relaxing the eligibility criteria for Social Security disability payments. In fact, the sea change that has brought about what NPR calls the “disability-industrial complex” was signed into law by…Ronald Reagan.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/04/08/how-americans-game-the-200-billion-a-year-disability-industrial-complex/

In fact, Obama asked for more money for Social Security inspectors when he came into office in 2009:

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/the-disability-mess/

And, per the above article:
Quote:
Federal spending on disability insurance leaped 65 percent from 2001 to 2007, “yet the number of full medical reviews, one type of review for evaluating claims for eligibility for continuing disability payments, fell from 840,000 in 2001 to 190,000 in 2007, according to the Social Security Administration", as The Wall Street Journal reported this week.

Nonetheless, 65% of people applying for disability are turned down when they first apply. Of those that appeal, over half are granted approved. However the appeal process can take two to three years. I have seen nothing that shows SSI disability benefits have been easier to get during the Obama administration.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in that the legal constraints on SSI were relaxed under Reagan -- thanks for the update on that -- but you admit that it was still very hard to get. And, yes, Obama complained about it and requested funds in his 2010 budget to fight abuse, but who rejected that budget and refused those funds but his own Senate and House majorities?

HOWEVER, while SSI was once extremely hard to get, recent award levels can exceed 50% (see http://trac.syr.edu/tracreports/ssa/254/ ).

And then there's the judge I was referring to: David B. Daugherty.
His approval rate was 99.7%.

Judge David B. Daugherty The Herald-Dispatch

In the fiscal year that ended in September, the administrative law judge, who sits in the impoverished intersection of West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio, decided 1,284 cases and awarded benefits in all but four. For the first six months of fiscal 2011, Mr. Daugherty approved payments in every one of his 729 decisions, according to the Social Security Administration. Complaints got nowhere. Judge Daugherty processes more cases than all but three judges in the U.S., and says of his less-generous peers, "Some of these judges act like it's their own damn money we're giving away." He knew damned well this administration wasn't going to stop him.

He's not alone. Here are about 30 more in his virtually 100% club:

This link expands that chart:
http://tinyurl.com/kuxuh8t

From the WSJ/US News, "This breakdown is one reason why Social Security Disability Insurance—one of the federal government's two disability programs—is under severe financial strain. It paid a record $124 billion in benefits in 2010 and is on track to become the first major entitlement program to go bust. Government officials said last week it is expected to run out of money in 2018."

MUCH more at http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704681904576319163605918524
or http://tinyurl.com/mwa936k .

DAMMIT, but I don't have time for this. One would think that the fact that I can virtually ALWAYS back up my claims would break some of you from trying to disprove them, but I thought you may have caught me this time, as I was going from memory. Not to worry. This messes up my supper, my sleep, and infinitely more important research. I may have to PLONK you just because you present better more legitimate challenges than the vast majority of these guys, and I just can't spare the time.

Last edited by isobars on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
pointster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike posted: "That changed by hundreds of percent since 2008. SSI used to be extremely hard to obtain; now many liberal judges and SS offices, encouraged by this administration, award it with NO PROOF. Yawannit, yaaskforit, yagotit, in many jurisdictions, according to widespread media reports, by name and jurisdiction, several years ago."

Mike's subsequent post does not support that contention. I have looked closely at the links he has provided and they do not show that the overall rate of approval has gone up during the Obama administration. Nor do they show that the Obama administration has encouraged judges and SS offices to make awards with no proof.

The absolute number of people getting social security disability during the Obama administration has increased because the number of applications has increased. The rate of approvals has remained about the same.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:

DAMMIT....

It's both funny and sad that Mikey rails against all those who apply for receive disability and against a society, system, and administration that awards it -- while he himself collects disability.

In Mikey's eyes, he's deserving, but all others are not.

And, naturally, it's all Obama's fault.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're distorting what I said -- "SSI used to be extremely hard to obtain; now many liberal judges and SS offices, encouraged by this administration, award it with NO PROOF. Yawannit, yaaskforit, yagotit, in many jurisdictions, according to widespread media reports, by name and jurisdiction, several years ago." -- and denying that this administration encourages government largesse. That's mac/kc/Chandler/etc.-level tactics, which I REALLY don't have time for and wouldn't entertain if I did.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Iso, Judge David B. Daugherty was appointed as a SS Judge in 1990 during Bush I's tenure. I guess you should blame the Republican/Conservative faction for any abuses perpetuated by the Judge.

But you won't, because you are a hypocrite.

That is all.
pointster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Now you're distorting what I said -- "SSI used to be extremely hard to obtain; now many liberal judges and SS offices, encouraged by this administration, award it with NO PROOF. Yawannit, yaaskforit, yagotit, in many jurisdictions, according to widespread media reports, by name and jurisdiction, several years ago." -- and denying that this administration encourages government largesse. That's mac/kc/Chandler/etc.-level tactics, which I REALLY don't have time for and wouldn't entertain if I did.

No, I am not distorting what you said. Your original post included the opening sentence "That changed by hundreds of percent since 2008.", which you elided in your quote above. The links you posted do not support that statement.

Nor do the links you posted support your contention that the Obama administration encouraged judges and SS hearing offices to make awards with no proof.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey: "Facts? Facts? I don't need no stinkin' facts!"

Reality is what Mikey says it is, not what facts prove it to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: