myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is strong downhaul always recomended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the simplest answer is yes.

-Craig

konajoe wrote:
Well ittiandro,

There is a very simple answer. Read the rigging guide for your sail. What works for one sail won't necessarily work for another sail. And the guides sometimes change from year to year as the sail designers tweak their designs. So look for the rigging guides for each of your sails. Brand, model, and year. Hopefully, you have a guise that has visual indicators instead of just luff and boom lengths.

In the end, would you rather trust your sail designer or someone on a forum?
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have any sail that I rig exactly by the specs. It just doesn't work when you use different masts and extensions. For example: my Ka 7.4 is supposed to be rigged on a 460 mast with a 23cm extension and my Chinook extensions use even numbers Sad I put the extension on 24 wich would be the max and then I leave 1 index finger of slack for all medim or 2 fingers for desperate times.
I realy like when there are indicators between the 2nd and the 3rd batten wich helps me to find the starting setting right away.
I can't stress enough how helpful adjustable outhaul systems are for light gusty wind inland places btw.- pull the string =max outhaul , release it= minimum -so effective !
And again max DH in such conditions with the leech loose all the way-that would be a misery!
Are you sure you are using the correct mast btw ? If the bottom half of the mast is too stiff and the top half too soft it will be hard for the sail to rotate unless overdownhauled . I had such a combination once and it was terrible.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My KA rigging instructions have visual cues. Use the numbers to rough set booms and base. Like I said, I hate rigging guides that only have numbers.

When I bought a Porsche, some folks were telling me to do differently than what my owners manual was saying in regards to things like break in and oil changes. I couldn't believe it. They thought they knew more than Porsche engineers!

Read the rigging guides for some random Ezzy and Sailworks sails, and see if there is anything in them that gives you any doubt that they know how to get the most out of their sails. If the sails you own don't have detailed manuals like these, you'll have to do some guessing. I think the detail in a manufacturer's rigging guides should be considered when buying new sails.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just use feel and common sense!

Rig as manufacturer states, then tweak from there. Most of us buy new sails more frequently than new masts (can't afford) so we buy to minimize any kind of mismatch. (Beach telegraph - what generally works on what.)

Experience shows that most claimed settings are starting points, not absolutes, and there is room for some variation to suit the individuals preferences. It's hard to believe any single setting works so well that the slightest difference, or mast (assuming right stiffness and bend), will ruin the performance. Indeed, in some tests, it is actually improved using non recommended masts!

The reality check is sailing against others - that is, on the increasingly rare occasions on which they get uo off their backsides from their yackety-yacking in the car park, instead of turning up their noses at the less than perfect conditions! Laughing
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

Best advice yet. It's not rocket science or a German engineered automobile. In the ideal world you buy your new sail & mast at a shop with rigging instructions & professional help, but I'm guessing most sail purchases are used at a swap meet or over the internet without instructions.

And be forewarned about too little downhaul with cambered sails as John pointed out. If you use your hands and push to rotate the sails you are on the fast track to breaking the batten tips of the longest, most expensive & difficult battens to replace on your sail. I learned that the hard way over a decade ago.

Coachg
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be more specific about what sails and masts are you using? I have some suspicions Confused
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A loose leach reduces drag while spilling air which can feel like less grunt at the start. The power in the sail is reduced by drag more and more as you speed up. A sail that feels powerless at the start can feel more powerful at speed because of the deep downhaul.

As to those factory settings... I go with GT .
I have watched sails being tested and developed here in Maui.
This is far from an exact science.
It is done on a schedule and their testers have to turn in a setting compromise on a certain day in fall.
If it has been blowing 4.0 for a month those nine sails over 6.5 in several lines probably will need a kiss and promise since they never got tested for settings on the light days. Away from Maui testers have the same problem, but with the small sails not getting ANY water time.
If they had a month more they might choose a different setting in a certain sail.
You must find that for yourself.

I know of at least one case where where next years better handling sail was just last years sail with different panel colors and more downhaul.

And ,sad to say, there are sails which have never been tested at all in their current configuration because of wind and time restraints. You have to sell them anyway and cross your fingers.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

That's so funny! If someone told me to use common sense, my common sense would tell me to look in the sail bag for the rigging instructions. And if I didn't find them, my common sense would tell me to look online. My common sense would be to look for the rigging guide for my sail before asking strangers on a forum, or even a good local sailor who may have no experience with my sail.

I don't know of anyone who's common sense would tell them that a sail designer tweaked his design in a way that requires some different tuning considerations.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our sails at the store were kept rigged all the time, at first rigging to the Manufacturers settings.
Using common sense we tweaked them to our conditions and boards over the course of a year or two.
The tester may have liked that setting in Maui but our store is in Belize.
Clients who bought our sails and sailed locally would come in to demo our rigged sails. Their new identical sail sailed so differently because they were on factory settings exactly and we weren't after a while.

Some things work together in unpredictable ways. If you like your lines farther back on the boom you may prefer more downhaul.
If you are like me you will want give up on power for less backhand pressure by running a little tight.

I have a knot in the out and down lines so I can jerk them out of their cleats in a hurry, moving them to max, and slog out of a situation ASAP.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Common sense"?

A WSer brought his new Gaastra sail back to his dealer and said, "I hate it. I'd like a refund".

Dealer: "Let's rig it up and see if we can fix it."

Buyer: "Naw, man. I've been WSing for many years, I go to Baja every winter and Hawaii in the summer ... I know what I'm doing. It's the sail."

Dealer: "It'll just take 3-4 minutes. Maybe we can solve your problem right here and get you back on the water today."

Tum-de-tum-de-tum ... rig... rig ... rig ... downhaul ... downhaul ...

Buyer: "DUDE! LOOK OUT! YOU'RE BENDING THE MAST! IT'LL BREAK!"

Dealer, calmly: "I think we found the problem."

Common sense usually requires a certain level of knowledge to be useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: