myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is strong downhaul always recomended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread! So let's see. On this forum, there are folks who have these views on downhaul setting:

o Always downhaul to the max recommended

o Always downhaul past the maximum recommended

o Adjust the downhaul within rigging guide recommendations

o Adjust the downhaul within rigging guide recommendations and beyond

o Downhaul just until the mast bends a little

o Downhaul all sails until the leach is floppy into the 2nd panel

o Downhaul all sails until floppy in the 3rd panel

o Downhaul the sail until you bust a gut

etc.

So, I think by definition, there's no such thing as 'common' knowledge when it comes to setting the downhaul.

Except, read your manual.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was admittedly long ago, but I once bought a 6.8 whose manual specified a 17' mast, so I bought one. It needed a 15' mast jacked up 8", IIRC. 16' was too long.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope u got yur money back iso !!

like konajoe says - read the manual / RTFM
and follow what is says
people seem to have difficulties with that
and the mast is of utter importance too
{obviously}

the OP wants to know about rigging with tight leech
most "modern" sails are NOT made to do that
there are specialty longboard sails for light wind gliding
free-race sails with some cambers are an option as well
{for the "holes" / luffs in the wind}

local shop rigging eggspurt says about 80% or more of the sails he sees rigged locally and at Hatteras are NOT rigged as they should be !!
looks like we ALL better get back to reading the manuals, checking specs, forums, etc

hope y'all had some quality time with some loved ones over the last few days !! Smile
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the only time i want to have a tight leach is when i'm on an RAF long board sail, or trying to force a smallish sail to work while wave riding.

perhaps some freestylers for their light wind app's would share this sentiment?

all other times i'll want medium to max amounts of d/h. tuning and observing have been my best guides of all. rigging recommendations vary so much between sail designs and mast choices, let alone designers' goals/geographies.

interestingly, i tend to dislike smaller sails on rdm's with max d/h. but, i have an old sdm 400 mast for ripping gales.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
perhaps some freestylers for their light wind app's would share this sentiment?

The North Idol, a quite popular freestyle sail, has a tuning range that seems comparable to race board sails. Most North sails have tuning markers in the second panel for minimum and maximum downhaul, and those are relatively close together. But the Idol has only the marker for maximum downhaul, and no marker for minimum downhaul.

I've seen expert freestylers rigging the Idol so that the battens protruded an inch past the mast for light wind. It looks very wrong, but allows them to get going on their 5.x m sails when others are on 7+ m sails. If the wind picks up, they'll add more downhaul and outhaul.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Ittiandro! I checked your older posts and it seems you've been struggling with light wind conditions for years. I guess you have a fixed working schedule and when you are off there is no wind usually, it sucks Sad
Looks like you've been experimenting with sails and boards for a while now. Not tired yet ?! I suggested this in one of your older post and I'll do it again in case you haven't seen it-you seem like a good match for a WindSUP man. Sailing below planing threshold is not a hole lot of fun, but on a WinSUP you can goof around with small sail, you can paddle-it's a great exercise. You can supplement it with a ~110/120 lt short board / which is a good all round size/ for the occasional windier days.

image.jpg
 Description:
goofing around :)
 Filesize:  84.61 KB
 Viewed:  10932 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
exercising :(
 Filesize:  300.88 KB
 Viewed:  10932 Time(s)

image.jpg

Last edited by adywind on Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some should re-read K.C.'s comments on how the new season sails each year are tested prior to launch, and how much 'suck it and see' often and unavoidably has to go into the process.

Think about the problem - or is common sense in short supply!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put simply when set with less downhaul the sail will pull alternately on the left and right hand as the center of effort moves around thus requiring you to grip the boom harder which is exactly what you do not want whilst cruising around in light wind attempting a nice relaxed sail.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Put simply when set with less downhaul the sail will pull alternately on the left and right hand as the center of effort moves around thus requiring you to grip the boom harder which is exactly what you do not want whilst cruising around in light wind attempting a nice relaxed sail.

I think you have to be real careful with those kind of generalizations. When starting from too much downhaul, less downhaul will make the rig more stable. Right?

So, OP, the title of your thread could be better, since 'strong downhaul' is a relative term.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
I think you have to be real careful with those kind of generalizations. When starting from too much downhaul, less downhaul will make the rig more stable. Right?

"Less DH" implies less than normal/middlin'/mid-spec to me, and it's what the OP asked about. It means the the COE is gonna wander, making for a frustrating session. And since the loose part of the sail is the exhaust, not the engine, the more DH the more stable most sails will be. In general, I correlate DH with handling and the OH with throttle, until DH goes extreme and "shuts off some cylinders".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: