myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is strong downhaul always recomended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
It's particularly troublesome when good sailors give the 'one downhaul setting' advice, because they are in a position to be believable. It doesn't mean that they wouldn't be much better if they tuned their sails.

Agreeing with you and Iso. There are excellent windsurfers who for whatever reason don't want to bother with tuning. They may appear to get more time on the water due to less time spent dialing things in, but in fact they could be sailing faster or longer (due to less muscle exertion). If you have a default setting for every sail dialed in, and start with that whenever you rig that sail, it doesn't take much time to adjust for that day's (or hour's) conditions.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once one has made a decision on downhaul setting
how many people come in and re-adjust after trial run(s) ??
outhaul is SO much easier to adjust on the water
however, i do agree that there is a DH range - min to max !!!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuning is an ongoing thing:

sails stretch

conditions vary

board/sail/mast/fin combo's vary

understanding how to get the most out of gear takes lots of trial and error.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe said:
Quote:

How many sailors in gusty lake conditions could tell the difference between 2 cm more or 2 cm less downhaul on any sail if they spent the time going ashore and adjusting?

If one only has 5, 7 & 9 meter sails, downhaul adjustments make more sense trying to maximize sail range, but if one has 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9 meter sails, rigging the correct sail negates/minimizes the need to adjust downhaul. Of course, if the wind changes much, it's better to re-rig, but if one is a little lazy, adjusting the downhaul may help a small amount if in steady (non-gusty) conditions.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet nearly every intermediate and up sailor could notice 2cm of adjustment if the sail is within 2cm of optimum anyway. 2cm down the mast is a huge change in tension. 2cm at the cleat really depends on whether the sail was tuned properly from the beginning.

Gusty conditions generally favor precise rather than haphazard tuning anyway. That's the entire point of tuning; get the sail tension right for the power changes. Steady conditions don't demand the same reaction from the sail so a bad tune will feel constant enough -if still rather poor.

When I managed an inland lake shop, my efforts to help tune the sails of everyone really paid off. They went from getting a few planing chances in the gusts to linking gusts together more and more. The smiles of everyone increased commensurately with the targeted tuning.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be me. After one reach across the river, if I've misjudged
the conditions, and I'm not satisfied with the sail handling, I get out
on the other side and adjust the downhaul. Usually after that it's
outhaul adjustment, but you really need to get that downhaul set correctly
1st. If you don't, trying to adjust with just the outhaul will make your sail
really unstable.

-Craig

joethewindsufa wrote:
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That's why I tune my DH on the stout side of nominal before I launch.
That way it remains stable and is good for anything short of needing to rig down by 30-40% yet sacrifices virtually nothing, and I could back off the DH at midriver if necessary. (I've never found it necessary.) I got no "other shore" where I usually sail, so dry land is a 10-minute round trip across a wind shadow. I'd rather WS.

One freestyler trick is to ALWAYS tune the sail EXACTLY the same regardless of conditions. That way the sail ALWAYS responds EXACTLY the same when being thrown around, removing sail response vagaries from the challenge. KISS and cope.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danweiss said:
Quote:
I bet nearly every intermediate and up sailor could notice 2cm of adjustment if the sail is within 2cm of optimum anyway. 2cm down the mast is a huge change in tension. 2cm at the cleat really depends on whether the sail was tuned properly from the beginning.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Possibly it is sail brand/model dependent, some work well if you are in the neighborhood of correct downhaul and others not.

On my sails, all Maui Sails, as long as I am in the neighborhood of the correct downhaul + or - 2cm, they work great. I don't measure, but the extension is set as specified on the sails and I just look at the leach looseness until it looks good to me. I have found that the adjustable outhaul on my larger sails 8.4-11.0 gives me a lot more wind range adjustment than downhaul changes.

I have measured to see what the sails should look like when set as designed, but once I know the look, I don't measure again.

I believe in setting it right, but when sailing in winds that gust from 5-20, making small adjustment in downhaul is generally fruitless if you have it near correct in the beginning, but I guess that depends on what you want - more control at the top end or less slogging at the low end, because one will sacrifice the other.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always some folks that always make a huge project out of rigging and tuning. They're always fiddling around. It's almost like they're aimlessly wandering trying to find their way to satisfaction. They never get it right the first time, so they're quickly back on the beach to make this adjustment or that one. It's a bad habit to get into, and it takes away your sailing time. Sure, it takes a bit of experimentation to flush out and characterize a new sail, particularly since they will stretch a bit when new. Yet, once you understand the downhaul requirements of a sail, the fiddling around should be done. After that it's all about tweaking the outhaul to match the conditions. Why make things more complex and daunting than they need to be?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen,

I tend to run a little higher downhaul (like Mike), so that I can adjust on
the water if there's no convenient beach (unlike Mike I've done it on the water), but the right thing to do is rig it so that it looks right. In 5 to 20
(nasty conditions) I'd probably rig a beer, but if I hadn't been sailing for
a few days, (and presuming the average wind was somewhere around
17.5) I'd put up a bigger board, a 5.7 and minimal flop. I know what
the sail should look like in these (or any other conditions). It's when
the dang conditions change right when I hit the water, that I might adjust
the downhaul after a reach.

I'm not much into dweebing on the beach (as Steve can attest if he remembers back to when we were sailing out of the same launch years ago). I adjust to maximize my time on the water, not because I like
to adjust. A bad DH adjustment can get really tiring really fast.

-Craig

p.s. 2cms (almost an inch) of DH on my Northwaves makes a perceptable difference in how floppy they look, and how they feel.

techno900 wrote:
I have measured to see what the sails should look like when set as designed, but once I know the look, I don't measure again.

I believe in setting it right, but when sailing in winds that gust from 5-20, making small adjustment in downhaul is generally fruitless if you have it near correct in the beginning, but I guess that depends on what you want - more control at the top end or less slogging at the low end, because one will sacrifice the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: