myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
O'Neill Assualt Hybrid Drysuit Fit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: O'Neill Assualt Hybrid Drysuit Fit Reply with quote

Just wondering......

I have worn out an Assault drysuit and mail ordered a replacement of the same size - large. The old one is about 5-6 years old and the glue and taping around the perimeter of the zipper is doing a self destruct and leaking. I glued, but to no avail.

The new suit has a much tighter neck and wrists. The old one did leak at the neck some and a little at the wrists, but was super comfortable. The new one is pretty tight in those two places, such that I am worried about carotid, as well as wrist blood flow and comfort.

Anyone discover a similar issue, any thoughts? I am 6', 170 lbs and both suits fit just right, only the wrists and neck seem to have changed.

I don't recall how tight the neck was on the first one when new, but it does seem that things stretch over time and that it will eventually loosen up a bit.

Switching to an XL would seem to be overkill in size, even if the neck and wrists were larger.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: O'Neill Assualt Hybrid Drysuit Fit Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
things stretch over time and that it will eventually loosen up a bit.

1. Yup.
2. Ask O'neil.
3. Ever try on a bag-type dry suit w/latex seals? You'll think you're gonna die, but a) ya don't, b) ya fugheddaboutit, and c) ya stay dry.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latex seals don't last long enough and the suits are pretty pricy. Been there, done that, but it's been a long time since I went that way.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered cutting the neck seal down? I have a Kokatat, and
while I've gotten used to the neck pinching latex seal, I thought
about cutting it. My recollection is that the seal is ribbed, probably
for just this purpose (cutting it down). The wrist seals I probably
would just put 2 ltr plastic bottles in when not in use. That should
stretch them out a little ;*)

-Craig
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the neck is 2mm neoprene, one side nylon. I am not anxious to trim. On the old suit, the neck is showing deterioration, and any damage while cutting may shorten the life of the suit. I will try stretching the wrists and maybe the neck if I find the right size bottles.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Latex seals don't last long enough and the suits are pretty pricy. Been there, done that, but it's been a long time since I went that way.

Mine look great at 6-8 years. Kokatat says that as long as they look slick (no tiny cracks or pits) upon close, tensioned inspection, they're fine. Besides, they're easy to replace. Besides, my point was that seals do loosen, that the initial red balloon/imminent death sensation is very temporary -- just four minutes, they say. Very Happy
badgruppe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Assault Hybrid Reply with quote

I bought one six years ago and use it windsurfing during the winter here in Boston, maybe 8 - 10 times a year, between November and March-ish. I've also been using it for standup, which may put too much stress on the shoulder area than was intended. This December I grabbed it to go out and found the zipper fabric and upper fabric were approximately 50% separated. So it's off to ONeill for what they note is their lowest priority repair. I'll repost with the report and the repair cost.
The relevancy of the post is maybe on the sizing. I'm 6 - 4", but only 160 lbs, so finding a good suit fit isn't easy. I actually have a Small Hybrid, after trying on all sizes with Brian at Ocean Air. The Small arms and legs are certainly long enough, and the torso is just right, maybe just a tad tight in the shoulders with a few fleeces underneath. The Medium was way too loose at the neck, which is why I went Small. So I wonder if I haven't been stressing the glued seam at the zipper all along with my shoulders, and hastening the failure. Or, maybe the glue just has a short life span as a result of what makes it flexible, or maybe washing it in the hot shower during the post session rinse is too much for the glue. All thoughts are welcomed, while I keep watching the Ianovated Video.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think of sending it back to O'neill because the neck is showing a lot of wear too. neoprene showing cracks and my body oil seems to have taken a toll as well.

I think the zipper issue is failing glue. No real stress on my back while in use.

The new one has bottles in the wrists and neck stretching them out a bit, I hope. Haven't tried it on yet to see if it is working.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before trying stretching seals out, I'd ask the professionals who made them about the idea. Kokatat says stretching works with latex seals; I wonder what the people who make and sell and repair neoprene seals say about stretching it to relax its "grip".

The body oil issue, aka the stink factor, is easily prevented by front-loading washing machines and neoprene shampoo.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry's, you taper scissor the cuff to fit.
No more than 1/4" at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: