myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
5.0 Sail on 125L board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy Sad
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
GT and those with poor technique more than others.

over the years, as i've encountered folks that BFF, on flat water or surf, they either accept advise to switch to FFF and become more accomplished sailors, reject that coaching and end up quitting, or like i said about this one guy, show up in the surf about 2-3 times per year and gets his adz kicked about half the time.

just trying to help those that may have few inputs from others beyond this forum. if one is an environment where the opposing current helps people get away with both feet up on the board water starts along with 30 knots of wind all the time, the www can amplify lazy/sloppy techniques that do no apply in humbler conditions. seen the crappy water start thing bunches too. all these folks get eaten up in onshore surf conditions resulting broken gear and injuries.

One of the problems in life. People who are advanced at something forget what it was like when they weren't. They take shortcuts and use less than optimal technique. Because they can. I can water start with both feet in the straps after a failed upwind 360. BUT I would NEVER teach it to a person learning water starts. I teach them one foot (back foot) only on the board. And there are reasons for it. There is a proper way (yes that means better way) to learn stuff. But after you develop that foundation feel free to do what you want and experiment.

One of the many reasons why you should learn from an instructor (one who knows how to teach) vs. one who is a decent sailor but doesn't teach.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Regarding the suggestion of moving the footstraps forward and inboard, it would be a decision to set up the board in a more beginner oriented format. The wrong move in my view. With the footstraps in their more outboard and rear positions gives you improved leverage over the board and it sets it up for maximum speed. Using a smaller fin size doesn't necessitate or require any change in footstrap positions. Of course, not everyone is the same size, so some flexibility is the call for the best spacing and stance, but the most rearward positioning is best for maximizing speed and unwetting the rockerline.

Now, who's right about this? No reason to just accept what I'm saying. Experiment with your footstrap positions and learn for yourself. Experience is your best guide and teacher.

While I agree that the OP has to try by himself, I disagree about the beginner setup with the straps in and forward. BTW, I meant only one or two holes, not to put the straps in a beginner spot.

My straps are out and back with a 9.5 and 46 fin. If you use the same board with a 5.0 and 28 fin, things work differently. The nose of the board goes up because of the lack of MFP. You could move the mast track forward to compensate, but it gets impossible to ride in the straps, you always luff. The solution is to bring the mast foot back and the straps forward. Less MFP but more rider weight forward put everything in equilibrum.

Same thing for the fin. My straps are setup for a 46, and the work for a 40 fin. If I use a 28, it won't work anymore. It doesn't provide a lot of righting moment like the other fins do. Because of that, the board follows the chop much more instead of slamming on it which is great! But I need to move them inboard...

A key thing was said by Jinge: too much effort involved. Yes, you can save the day be reajusting your straps and sail, but the board will now be rather big for the prevailing conditions and it's much better to have a smaller board by then.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
we've been around and around on these topics. just wanted the uninitiated to see the ficky fick emerge.

If you feel it's worth behaving literally like a troll with Alzheimer's just to elicit some same ol'/same ol' facts from me, be my guest. There's always someone new here who may benefit from my repeating them. I'm always surprised at how many people, including local non-windsurfers, who think "The Dalles" or "Hood River" blows like stink every day much of the year. The classic question when a townie here, upon learning that I WS, is "Have you ever tried the Gorge [or "The Dalles"]? It's windy there every day." ... as though it was a thousand miles away rather than an evening session after work.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
People who are advanced at something forget what it was like when they weren't. They take shortcuts and use less than optimal technique. Because they can. I can water start with both feet in the straps after a failed upwind 360. BUT I would NEVER teach it to a person learning water starts. I teach them one foot (back foot) only on the board. And there are reasons for it. There is a proper way (yes that means better way) to learn stuff. But after you develop that foundation feel free to do what you want and experiment.

One of the many reasons why you should learn from an instructor (one who knows how to teach) vs. one who is a decent sailor but doesn't teach.

Exactly. That is gold.

There is a substitute for time on the water: quality professional instruction. It's the best money you can spend on the sport.

For every self-taught windsurfer who is a great sailor there are 100 duffers stuck in various plateaus of mediocrity and frustration, and another 100 who gave up the sport.

Last edited by PeconicPuffin on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOS

if you need to look it up, its same olde shi7

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: