myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Experimentation with Softer Battens
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that at my size (6'4" & 215lbs.), by the time I get enough power to plane on a small board in high wind, it takes off like a bat out of Hell and I find myself going 25 or 30 through big chop. I've found I can slow down by using a huge wave fin and a smaller sail.

Example: In 25 knots of wind on my 86 liter Mistral Synchro, I could use a 4.8 with a regular sized fin, say a 24cm.. I would change down to a 4.2 and use a 28cm. fin. The big fin helps me plane with the smaller sail while adding drag, and the smaller sail makes everything more manageable.

I know this is a weird thing to do, but it works for me. Takes a bit of experimentation to get it dialed, too.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board choice dramatically affects high-speed ride, handling, control, confidence, and wind range. When I expect serious wind, I make sure my serious-wind boards are packed so I can safely and smoothly go all-out in both straight lines and high-g slashes. My first warning for giving up and saving my body for better days is having to avoid jamming it off the lip due to a high likelihood of injury even on my smallest sail and smoothest-ride board. That happens for a few brief hours on the 3 or 4 biggest days I see in the Gorge with water temps > 46, so it's not a big sacrifice. My second, final, persuasive warning is when flat-out bream reaches are out of control even on my best nuke-wind gear and there's no letup in the cards. That's time to eat, and is unlikely to last long.

How do I KNOW which boards qualify? By sailing all my likely suspects in those conditions. 60-75 liters, narrow, tiny thin tails, plenty of vee, the word "wave" in their family tree, and the brand are staring factors. They narrow the field, but nothing matches first-hand trials in very high winds with each board. IMO (and that of the magazine analyses I've cited here for years), it rules out shortwide boards; that's just not what they're intended for.

The right board postpones the need to start redesigning one's sail and adds immensely to one's fun and peace of mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: