myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui First Trip Advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Maui First Trip Advice? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am going to Maui this summer for the first time. My non sailing wife is joining me. Any suggestions on condo rentals, equipment rentals, dining,
and general info would be great. I have done a search on the forum and have found useful but older posts. More current info would be helpful as well. Kihei seems to be a good spot to anchor. Plan to windsurf and SUS when there is no wind.

Thanks
combs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui is great. You and your wife will love it!

We have gone the last three years in a row. Always stayed at Kihei. It is half the cost of a place on the North Shore and there are amazing snorkle spots to hit in the morning before the wind. If you can get a room at Maui Sunset condos you can also literally sail out of your backyard if it blows on that side of the island.

Rent gear from Matt Pritchard. He gives you the best deals on the Island and the best gear.

PM me if you have any other questions...Have fun!!
antonputman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in the replies as this summer I am 10 years together with my (non WS-ing) girlfriend and promised her a trip to Maui.
She likes SUP-ing though.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to Maui since 1997, but I did 6 trips starting in 1991. I know that it has been a long time, but if I could convince you of one thing, it would be to stay on the northshore at the beach. On all my trips I stayed in Spreckelsville at a house on the Severson property. Believe me, having your equipment rigged 25 yards from the launch in one of the best spots on the northshore is a real vacation. You never really have to drive around and mess with the traffic, jockey for a good parking spot, or worry about having your car vandalized while you're out sailing.

If you do want to travel about, you're in a central location about a mile and a half from downtown Paia and just a bit further from Hookipa. The historic upcountry town of Makawao and the Haliimaile General Store are very close for a change of pace and some great dining.

It's a bit more expensive for sure, and you have to adjust to the air traffic noise, but believe me, it's definitely worth it. If you can't afford the beach, I would pick an upcountry location like Haiku. Contact Matt Pritchard, I'm sure that he can offer some advice about renting a spot on the Northshore. Don't settle on staying in a condo in Kihei where you need air conditioning all the time. Make your trip something special.
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good are you at windsurfing? Waterstarting? I was there for the first time in November and got my butt kicked at Sprecks on a windy day with swell and did not really have fun although my water starts improved immensely. Had a great time at Kanaha subsequently. I rented from Oliver at Adventure sports who was great. Exchanging gear was easy. We stayed at the Fairmont which is on the South Side (40 min drive) away from the wind. My wife loved it. I left in the morning, sailed until I was exhausted and drove back to a beautiful full-service resort. It was the best of both worlds. If my wife wind surfed I'd stay on the north shore, since she doesn't this made it a vacation for both of us.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stay farther north of the Fairmont, so that when the windward shore doesn't go off, or if I simply choose to sail Kihei that day (it's often windier), I can sail from my doorstep. The southernmost cutoff of that benefit is at Lipoa Road.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too shocked swc, but I agree with everything you said!
The extra expense is so worth it, staying upcountry is my style, I hate the constant humidity at the coast in the summer time, but I've done it several times, no true regrets. Also the west side (Kihei) in the summer can blow offshore most of the time, making windsurfing a close to shore sideways thing, with no waves.
Gas is very expensive there, staying at the north shore will reduce the gas consumption dramatically, helping to offset any added expenses.

Haliimaile General Store, one of the best places for dinner, Mama's is okay, but you will be paying more for atmosphere and view than awesome food, kinda touristy but okay, once.

A fun sneaky thing to do is the Ka'anapali resorts swim. Ka'anapali is where most of the resorts are, one after another, all together in a long line with a concrete boardwalk that connects them all together on the beach side.
Drive over there and find a public parking lot then go explore, but wear your bathing suit. Go to the first resort, jump into their awesome pool, swim for awhile, then get out and walk to the next one, and do the same thing, you can spend a good part of a day doing that, hitting every resort's pool. The only way you can get busted is to used your own towel, so don't take one, that's how they can tell who belongs there and who doesn't, just stay wet as you work your way down the line. Serious eye candy along the way.
quigley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7176, My wife and I have been going to Maui every year for 5 years now. We stay on the North shore. Best there is for windsurfing . Contact Maui Surf and Turf Vacation Rentals. Andrea can help find you the perfect spot at the right price !! Maui Windsurf Company can fix you up with like new Goya boards and sails. Call in advance and get a discount !
There are tons of things to due on Maui, non windsurf stuff in the morning, and then sail afternoons !
Aloha
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much money do you want to spend, and are you an expert or beginner?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Maui Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the excellent advice. To answer skill question I'm an intermediate ocean sailor harness straps short board etc with room for improvement. Spectator only at Ho'okipa.

Currently wife is interested in Kihei. She doesn't want to listen wsfrs talk story
the whole time. I'll need to dig out my What About Bob T shirt.

It seems unless you are staying on the beach at Sprecks driving can be a bit of a challenge. Kihei seems to offer less congestion, additional sailing option though more distance. It appears to have two ways to get back and forth?

Not sure wife would understand my desire for the pool hopping trip while looking sideways suggestion 😊!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: