myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What gear for 3rd Ave or Coyote Pt.?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J_McV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: What gear for 3rd Ave or Coyote Pt.? Reply with quote

Looks like I may be spending a week at Stanford this spring. Can only bring minimal gear and only able to sail in the afternoons. Won't be driving to the coast. Been 25 years since I sailed Coyote Pt. and don't remember much except that I slogged a lot on the way out to the wind zone. Was thinking to bring the big Goya 94 Quad wave board and 4.2,4.7,5.3. I weigh 190.
Also are there dates I should avoid for crowds. Can be flexible about when I go there but somewhere in March or April.
Jeff
carl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll just be slogging again in March with that kit selection.
Mar/April you'll have some days, but the real wind usually comes in May/June.
Do you have any thing bigger? I'm about 5 pounds heavier and most used sizes are 102L with 5.5-6.0-6.6 at Coyote. I do have 4.2 and 4.7 and 90L and
75L but they really don't get used much, mostly in May/June or storm sailing.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Carl..lose 10 more lbs this year and you'll be using that 75L more often this year...just throwin' it out there buddy Smile
carl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
It would probably take 50lbs to be comfortable slogging that 75L, unless it's just a short lull on a nuclear day.
BTW, I don't see you out too often on your 78L either!
J_McV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
So would 3rd ave. be similar wind?
Maybe I should just not take gear and rent from Boardsports if it gets windy. Suppose I could dust off the old 100 ltr. freestyle board and the 5.9 but that's as big as I've got.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey J_McV. The fact you say the "big" 94 Goya Quad says to me you are an efficient sailor, who considers a 94 to be a big board. I'm 160 and 94 is the biggest I go. Quads are pretty good at getting onto to a plane early. To me, March is the official start of the "season," but I sail year round. March and April are the extreme months in my opinion. You can have no wind and then a day where its averaging 30 knots with gusts to 50. For those that pack it up over the winter, the welcome back conditions can be a real spanking on some of the clearing conditions. Bring a warm wetsuit and hood.

The slog to the wind line at Coyote is nearly ever present. Third will depend primarily on wind direction, as will Coyote to an extent. Wind in the channel is the same in both places. March/April are some of the best months on the coast, but are not for the unexperienced, as there is typically real ground swell.

To me, your board choice seems correct. Add a 5.8, or 6.0 and you are good to go for nearly every condition.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gerritt about equip, although I often sail bigger stuff in March at Coyote or 3rd. The coast may have better days, but you asked about Coyote/3rd.
Really March is not quite the season yet, the regulars call it the start of the
season, (mostly because they're tired of winter) but it's far from being reliable, especially if March is rainy and cold. The water can be cold too.
You'll have to make a reservation if you rent from Boardsports, they are not
usually open during the week in March, just some days on the w/e, (if it's not raining.) April they are usually open, at least on the w/e.
J_McV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that's good info. Carl and Gerritt. Yeah I might be able to head over to Davenport but not really thinking surf this trip with my significant other who wants to sail with me and I really want to stay close to the apartment. She is not ready for surf. I am an efficient sailor and do find myself on 4.7 often when others are on 5.2's at Cape S. or the rock. Maybe I'll try to schedule a little bit later in mid April in hopes of getting more consistent wind.
damel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March is definitely the wild card season for 3rd ave. On a regular good day the wind is in the teens but there is big potential for a storm to come through and create some clearing winds which can match the strongest winds of the year that you typically see in April, May, June. You could make an argument to bring a 95L board 5.8 and 4.7 sail. Also be prepared to slog to the channel for the best conditions. So in summary I think your proposed quiver is good if you add one big sail for the marginal days. Yea you could argue bring some really big stuff if you want to get out everyday but in my experience 3rd ave either turns on or it doesn't and no one kicks themselves for missing a 6.5 120L day at 3rd.

In my opinion quads are nice to have at 3rd because the water can get shallow as the tide gets low. While on my quad I have planed by people walking through mud and a foot of water who had big fins.

I would definitely recommend 3rd ave over Coyote if you bring your own gear. I am sure a ton of people will chime in with crazy opinions but lets face it 3rd is just better especially if you are looking to go straight to the channel. I will admit the number of kiters on the inside at 3rd is getting a little crazy but man up, go straight to the channel and you are in a different world of awesome when its ebbing hard. Just wish there was a big snow pack to add the the ebbs this spring.

kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your chances of wind go up if you postpone until April, but March can be good too. Spring is the time for nuking winds, although it's kind of feast or famine, especially early spring. We don't seem to have much winter this year, so maybe we'll have an early start to the season. I think your sail and board sizes should cover most conditions. I agree bringing a sail in the 5.7 range would help, too, but it would also be the first one I'd leave behind if I could only bring three sails.

Closest spot to Stanford is Palo Alto, which is flatwater spot that freestylers tend to like. It also has lighter wind. Water is shallow and you launch off a dock.

Next spot up the 101 is 3rd Ave. This is one of the best spots on the bay on a nuking clearing wind, especially on a good ebb... big gorge-style rollers. Launch here is OK... ramp into the water... just be careful of banging your feet on rocks/barnacles if you don't wear booties

Then you have Coyote Pt. You've been there. I prefer 3rd Ave but Coyote is nice too. It is more tolerant of a low tide which can be an issue at 3rd and PA.

Another 15 minutes up the 101 is Candlestick. Flat water spot w/ a rocky beach launch. Favored by freestylers and some slalom guys, this place picks up wind when other places don't, so it's definitely a place to keep your eye on if the other spots aren't working. Probably a 30-40 min drive from Stanford depending on traffic.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: