myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Ana Winds Saturday, Where ? Lake Perris, Huh ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawhit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Santa Ana Winds Saturday, Where ? Lake Perris, Huh ? Reply with quote

The five day look ahead weather forecast was for strong Santa Ana winds to blow thru Southern California on the weekend of 1/24/15. The two day look ahead forecast still said windy weekend ahead. Friday evening forecast no change. OK, time to load up the truck with just to much gear, text the friends an alert, and head to Lake Perris in Riverside County. I pull up to the lake and the parking was absolutely packed, (see photos below, we park right next to the water). No wind yet just a little breeze out of the North which is not the right direction for Lake Perris. Shaun is the next to arrive followed shortly by Radco, Julio, Ben, Charley, and Issac. Crap the water is going to be packed. Wink Rigged a North Sails 7.8 warp with a Isonic 107 while Shaun rigged his Maul Sails 7.7 TRX and pulled out a brand spanking new never ridden Mikes Lab Slalom board. Shocked Wind then switched to the correct direction and came up quickly to full on whitecap conditions. Julio rigged his new Gasstra 4.7 and a 80 something liter board, Radco on a 5.3 Severn with similar board but later switched to a 76 Liter, Ben on a 5.3 Sailworks, and Charley on a 6.3 TR9. Julio, Radco, Ben, Charley and Shaun ripped while I struggled. Went in and rigged down to my 6.3 warp (wimp) which worked fine. We all sailed for a couple hours until we either got tired or the cold took its toll. Johanna showed up and rigged her 5.5 TR9 and had the water almost all to herself in some of the best wind of the day, with the exception of Brett and Katrina who had also now arrived to enjoy the wind. Shaun totally dominated the day holding on to the 7.7 all day and blazed by us all. He credits that to the fact that his new Mike Lab board was so smooth and controllable.
Fun sailing day for all.
Just saw the five day look ahead weather forecast, calling for Santa Ana winds next Sunday ? Maybe, just maybe, it could be repeat.

Where did others sail on this So Cal wind event ?

IMG_0132.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.4 KB
 Viewed:  23089 Time(s)

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0128.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  379.73 KB

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  344.7 KB

IMG_0121.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you got it good. I"ve missed there all 4 Santa Ana days I went.
Bolca Chica is my fav, on NNE Santa Ana's. Side off, DTL rights, just like Limantour or PSC direction. The fact it's multiple peaking beach break means more waves for you, and less avoiding surfers.
But I assume things have changed since 1985.
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to Perris in years. Still have to have a flotation vest? Went there once or twice in the summer, not much wind then as I recall.What's the water temp like this time of year?
miasibs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawhit, where exactly in Lake Perris do you launch from. I'm coming from OC, I'll join you guys if it blows this weekend. Can you give me some quick directions or is it something where I can use google maps to find the launch area?
Thanks
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't sailed since late September! How often does it blow like that at Lake Perris? It is one hell of a drive so I'd have to know with some certainty that it's gonna blow.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't sail Saturday, but wish I had! Here's a little outside reef at a beach called Emma Wood, just north of Ventura, CA:

jpbassking: Let me know if you're going, we can carpool in my van.

Emma Wood 1-24-15.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  272.92 KB
 Viewed:  22950 Time(s)

Emma Wood 1-24-15.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of kelp beds around the Overhead reef, and the wind is very dicey, as it can suddenly change. I sailed it once in the early 90s on a westerly clearing wind with a meaty ground swell riding. It lured us out for couple runs, and then the wind quickly shut off.

Same outside peak, regardless of swell direction, and it's a good distance offshore. In the photo, you can see some kelp beds in the foreground.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeahh, it's pretty kelpy, but C Street was getting the wind too, and a really good swell running. C Street offshore has long been a dream of mine, unfortunately we were trying to stand up paddle surf and had the wrong gear with us.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we heartlanders assumed you guys sailed Santa Anas in the Pacific on 3.2s. Wassamatteryou ... you don't speak Tagalog? Very Happy
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and my Japanese is pretty rusty, too! BTW, it's actually Santanas, meaning a hot devil wind, got bastardized by a weatherman long ago and the misnomer stuck. Trying to bring back the original Santanas.

Last edited by spennie on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: