myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Joneser alert! Blue hole opening up, just east of Hood River
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Joneser alert! Blue hole opening up, just east of Hood River Reply with quote

Decent westerly potential today, Mosier to The Dalles. Doug's?
Later!
CUSalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd that work out for you Biff 'ol boy! Smile
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two hours of decent wind! Razz
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: The Wall, 3/24. Anybody? Reply with quote

It appears the wind was pretty good yesterday from 8-2 at The Wall. Did anybody get some? I was too sick to sail. Embarassed
What was it like (swell, logs, nets, etc.)?

Thanks.
surfingsenorita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wall, just me on a 4.0 for 30 minutes then two of us for hour 4.2 and 4.0. Good swell and wind alll the way to shore. No nets and no kites Very Happy
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Anybody else get some? Buehler? Reply with quote

Awesome, Senorita. Glad to hear it was good and somebody got it. I think it's a great time to be a windsurfer in the Gorge. Because numbers are dwindling fast, and so it's easy to find a parking spot and space on the water, especially in Spring.

I waited and waited yesterday, working on my "new" board, patching, painting, fin. At 3pm, I felt a cool push from the west. At 6:15, headed out on the journey to Rock Creek, Mosier (about 1 minute drive). I guessed to rig 4.7 and did not want to be underpowered at that time of day/night. The park gate is still closed (water under the bridge), so I had to carry in. There were two kiters, and I could have easily been on 4.2 and eventually 3.7. There were even some smooth 3' tall miniswells to surf. It was totally worth the effort. Awesome!

I looked at the graphs, and it looks like it really went off out east. But was anybody there to get it? Check out the cloud formation; frontal boundary?

Also, check out my new board, 8'5" Rutger 199x swallowtail. Light, stiff, and very fast. It was a little too big last night.

WP_003260.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  419.93 KB
 Viewed:  16794 Time(s)

WP_003260.jpg

WP_003252.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  291.19 KB
 Viewed:  16794 Time(s)

WP_003252.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody else get some? Buehler? Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
I looked at the graphs, and it looks like it really went off out east. But was anybody there to get it?

Yes ... for less than an hour, and not 'til midnight ... not my cuppa tea in March.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Wow. Reply with quote

Considering the timing of strong wind, it is possible I was the only windsurfer in the Gorge yesterday. And it was good. Not bragging; just an observation of rareness. Puting face in the water is not recommended yet. But the session was totally worth it. Quality A-! Full body soreness today.

Was hoping for today as well, but it looks like a fizzle...so far.

WP_003248.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  703.02 KB
 Viewed:  16743 Time(s)

WP_003248.jpg

kmf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelly, Bill and I caught a couple of hours at Swell City, and there were a couple of people out at the Hatchery. I got there at 5:30, Shelly showed shorty after and then Bill. I used a 4.2, could have used a 3.8 around sunset. Lots of debris in the water. I hit a small log, and ruined a fin, and I see that I loosened a thurster box.....ouch.

KMF
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! And here I thought I was special. How was the swell?

You mentioned some good reasons to try and sail east/upstream of the Hood and White Salmon during Spring. I saw zero debris. That is not saying much though because I was going about 40mph and visibililty was not great due to dim light. Also, the water is warmer east.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: