myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstraps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Footstraps Reply with quote

Anyone have or tried the mauisails adjustable footstraps? Or for that matter....any other footstraps similar in design as mauislails? They looks easy to adjust...but do they hold? Comfortable?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pictures of them I can find have the same damned problem most velcro products do: everything is black on black on black and thus invisible. I have no idea how the MS straps work. My bottom line is that if I have to unwrap a footstrap before I can even get at its adjustment straps, you could not pay me to use it. Most of my straps are thus Chinooks or Feetbelts.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like their version of Dakine primo/supremo.
Never tested them unfortunately.

skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The only pictures of them I can find have the same damned problem most velcro products do: everything is black on black on black and thus invisible. I have no idea how the MS straps work. My bottom line is that if I have to unwrap a footstrap before I can even get at its adjustment straps, you could not pay me to use it. Most of my straps are thus Chinooks or Feetbelts.

i here ya....

it's not that the standard footstrap is that difficult to adjust...BUT....once they have been set for awhile...slatwater gets them all nice and crusty....tyring to then readjust is a PITA. I had to use pliers to pull the one footstrap apart. And here in NY we need to wear booties...from heavy 6mm down to my summer 1.5m....so i adjust them as the temp changes.

i used to use the dakine contour ones...they are nice...but wanted something that didn't need tools to adjust.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
it's not that the standard footstrap is that difficult to adjust...BUT....once they have been set for awhile...slatwater gets them all nice and crusty....tyring to then readjust is a PITA. ... wanted something that didn't need tools to adjust.

It's not just salt water or being set for a while; it's those FRACKING, inexcusable, multilayered, inFERnal, internal adjustment straps combined with anyone who wants or needs to adjust them more than twice a year OR doesn't have humpbacked arches OR can't see black on black on black on black at a focal range of 15" while getting tossed in chopswell OR doesn't carry pliers in his wetsuit pocket OR just wants to avoid one of windsurfing's biggest totally unnecessary PITAs. In my case, all those ORs are ANDs.

You'll love Chinooks or GT Feetbelts or DaKine Pro Forms, and I'm sure there are additional similar straps out there. I just now walked into the next room, pulled one out of my footstrap bin, and even unattached to a board it took me less than 10 seconds to adjust it ... zip, zip, flap, flap, done. No tools, no ripped fingernails, no cursing. I then mounted it on a board and re-tested. 5 seconds.

Nothing else makes any sense to me with the exception of the much more expensive DaKine X-Lace straps and a few older external adjusting straps I've hoarded. I don't use teak or rubber tie-on booms, clear plastic slotted football fins, cast iron masts, or internal (or screw-hole) adjusting footstraps.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally adjustability with softness and support for the top of your foot, makes this is the easiest adjusting strap on the water. Low stretch neoprene covering means no bagging, sagging or pinching. A very user friendly part, the Adjustable Footstrap is great for people who want to
experiment with fit and location.

Features:

Improved pre-bent shape for maximum support.
Thick webbing and neoprene base.
Easy strap adjustment for different size feet.
Multiple attachment points.
4 footstraps per package

MAUI SAILS description ABOVE.
The straps have an adjustment that is somewhat different, the cinch strap goes through a metal ring, then Velcros to the inside top. So velcro is still there .
Note, they say are the easiest adjusting on the water .

I have quite a few different straps, and yet to find a optimum set. Have not had any hiss fits with any

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my one concern .... it says "easy to adjust"...which is great...BUT...are they easy to become out of adjustment...or in other words...come apart ? I would probably think not....but who knows....

i'll see if i can find a pair online soon...and see for myself.

If only i was in some nice tropical place where i can sail barfoot...and never have to ajust my straps.. Confused
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

Features:

...Easy strap adjustment for different size feet.

Well then there's your answer! Smile

From Maui Sails' photos it looks like it works the same as Fanatic's straps, which are relatively easy to use and adjust. Velcro on velcro on velcro. My wife and I share boards and so are adjusting all the time...if she's comfortable adjusting them, they're easy (can't get her near the outhaul or downhaul.)

I've never had one come apart ever, and I've worn through one set.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
it says "easy to adjust"

They all say that. It's meaningless.

What are your water temps?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:

If only i was in some nice tropical place where i can sail barfoot...and never have to ajust my straps.. Confused

In tropical places you usually have a coral reef to contend with so it's a mixed bag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: