myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP Sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clif371827

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sails being referred to as Mylar are if fact a Dacron- Mylar laminate. The plastic film the colorful Dacron is laminated to is Mylar. Mylar is a trade name for a type of polyester . The weak point is the lamination. I have thrown away maybe 50 of these sails in the past few years. It could be different in other climates but in Florida I have not seen any of these that are not delaminating. You can see the delamination as small air bubbles under the Mylar, Often the Dacron side has a slight sticky feel to it. They might last a long time in a non stressed situation but I find in high winds the delamination progresses quickly as the Dacron stretches and pulls loose from the Mylar, The result is a blown out panel. I tried several beautiful old sails of this construction and now just toss them in the garbage. I am sure 20 plus years of Florida heat does this. You could find one that is alright but I would examine them for small bubbles before relying on them. The sticky feel means they are shot. The Superfreaks are Dacron and very durable. It could be me but I get catapulted more on my Superfreaks than on my Ezzy's in high winds. I found an old Hi Fly 6.0 Dacron sail that I am looking forward to trying to remind me of what it feels like when the center of effort moves around in high winds.. I also have an Ezzy Zepher for use on my long boards. I see old all Dacron sails on E Bay from time to time.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All displacement craft get flung about in bouncy, choppy, and often swirly sea conditions when the driving force is only weak. (Longboards -light breezes.) I question the belief that a bigger more grippy fin, and bigger rig, will make control any easier in such conditions, or even give much increase in driving force in weak breezes.

The bigger fin will help 'lock' the back end to a straighter line, but the front will still be swerving and lurching all over if the bigger rig doesn't produce the necessary increase in pulling power, especially when it's harder to balance in such bouncy conditions.

In such conditions I've often found on longboards that the standard fin, and smaller rig, will be less tiring and easier to balance and control, with no great loss of speed anyway. The rest is down to learnt technique.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 is supposed to pull like an 8.5 - non ?
Longboards (the good ones) have fins and shape to handle BIG range
Can we compare WindSUPs with longboards
Believe , based on this discussion, it really depends on the model
The Exocet that James writes about - MAYBE
NOT the BIC discussed here Embarassed
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurgletrousers you mentioned "All displacement craft get flung about in bouncy, choppy, and often swirly sea conditions".

I have found the Exocet WindSUP 10 to be much more stable in all conditions than a smaller board, at any speed. It makes sense IMO, because this is just a more stable board, so it stays stable at both low and high speeds, in all conditions.

I run a 50cm racing fin on mine and have no swerving or lurching that you mention below. In big chop better control equals being able to go faster, so this board goes fast nicely in choppy waters.

Joe, I also have an Ezzy Freeride and Zephry 7.5 and the Zephry has a lot more pull than the standard 7.5. Whether it pulls like an 8.5 I am not sure because I do not have an 8.5 to test at the same time, but I can definitely feel the additional power vs. a regular 7.5.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you guys don't get it. The Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 isn't a 7.5 at all. It actually bigger than Ezzy's Cheetah 8.0, and it nearly approaches the size of Ezzy's Cheetah 8.5. I've posted the Ezzy specs for you guys more than once. The Zephyr might be a great sail, but let's get real and recognize that it isn't really a 7.5. Saying that it is is dishonest and misleading, particularly in contrasting it with other 7.5s. Ezzy is selling a lie and purposely trying to deceive the public. To me, that's totally unacceptable and worthy of being called out.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swchandler, I get it. I am going out with it now. Smile

I am not sure about Ezzy selling a lie. It is hard to measure a sail exactly, so we don't know for sure. The bottom part is as large as an 8.5, but I don't think the entire sail is 8.5.

I like it because it fits on the same 460 mast as my 7.5, where I think most 8.5 sails require a 490 mast. So there appears to be some difference there between most 8.5 sails and this one.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryankaufman2, I'm glad that you really like the Zephyr, and that it fully meets your goals. My only beef is contrasting it with other 7.5 sails, and representing it to others as much more powerful 7.5. It's really not a 7.5, and if you called David Ezzy and confronted him, he would probably have to admit it. As far as your 460 mast, you could still use it without a problem on an Ezzy Cheetah 8.0 (only 1cm taller), and have a much shorter easier to jibe boom length (7cm less). Doesn't that tell you something?

I get it though, you wanted a sail that rigs on a 460 and has the same basic boom length as a Cheetah 8.5.

Last edited by swchandler on Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brynkaufman2. I should have been a little more explicit.

I do journeys on my longboards. Situations I often encounter include cliif lines, and headlands, with lightish and very variable (strength and direction) winds. Add a swell and confused lumpy backwash of the cliffs, and the difficulty is to balnce on the bucking board, and maintain some direction. That's what i was really meaning.

I find in those conditions that a smaller rig and not a big fin makes it easier. I don't get flung off balance so much. I call such going B.L.S. (Bounce, lurch. and snatch.)

I sometimes use a Mahalo tandem board with gera on deck. It originally had a 56cm fin but I found, in those conditions, a smaller 47 fin and a sail no bigger than 7.8 helped maintain some semblance of control and direction.

I realise my views run counter to many, but in the end, it's about what gives us satisfaction. I don't mind sacrificing some degree of performance (when not racing) for ease of control and comfort. (A bit like the S.U.P. sailing appeal, I suppose! Wink )
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:

Longboards (the good ones) have fins and shape to handle BIG range
Can we compare WindSUPs with longboards
Believe , based on this discussion, it really depends on the model
The Exocet that James writes about - MAYBE
NOT the BIC discussed here Embarassed

Joe, you say that WindSups can hardly compare with longboards, with the exception, perhaps, of a few like James Douglas’ Exocet, but “ not the Bic discussed here”.

You may be right. For one thing, my Bic Windsup does not handle very well in stronger winds and with larger sails.( this drawback is however compensated by its exceptional stability and its light-winds friendliness) .

This stronger winds handicap is probably on account of the length and shape of the fin, too short..
I wonder, however: the Mistral Comp has just about the same fin shape and length as the Bic, in addition to having approximately the same length and volume. Why is then the Mistral capable of handling ” a big range”( if indeed it is) better than the Bic WindSup?

The only marked difference is the width, afterall.
Similarly, if the Exocet is capable of handling this BIG range, it could very well be , in my opinion, simply because of its much longer fin and not because its design and shape are intrinsically better. Just put a longer( or larger area) fin on the Bic and maybe it will increase its wind range.
I'll keep this in mind, maybe next year!

Ittiandro
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Joe is right too. I own both the BIC WindSUP and the Exocet WindSUP and they are really different boards despite being around the same size.

I would recommend the BIC for the SUP person who wants to do some wave riding in light winds with a sail and a lot of paddle surfing.

The Exocet with foot straps and a longer fin can be turned into a really high performance Windsurfing board, that you can SUP when needed.

I am happy with both. When there is no wind and waves I have a blast on the BIC. I have also had great sessions with a WindSUP sail, light wind, and waves on the BIC. When there is enough wind to go fast with the Exocet I will sail that, and have a blast too. I don't need much wind, between the Exocet and the Ezzy Zephyr my wind minimum is very low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: