myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP Sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windowsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,

I have, with thanks to the bountiful diety of your choice, stumbled into the Big Lebowski of windsurfing/WindSUP discussion forums. I am humbled by the poetic munificence of your replies.

Though I am but a man with lime slurpies for shoulders, I shall carry on, with your help.

Despite a small amount of radiating joint pain, I lift a hoppy Pilsner (yes -- like 6" to 2' waves -- it does "give such") to you, mi SUPlementario información amigos.

To you...
to hell with me.

- Lime Slurpy, Kona-lusting Mitch

P.S. - Canadian health care, while deeply flawed and bitchaboutable, is still pretty frickin good.
antonputman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any feedback on the Vice anyone? Now THAT looks like an interesting SUP sail!
http://www.aerotechsails.com/vice.html

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used it. it sails better than i expected. made me appreciate the lightness. it is fairly stable, considering 3 battens. does not water start well. the missing 30 cm of mast is far more crucial for that than one might think.

not for my taste. i like windSUP'ing with a larger sail. when riding the wave, i get apparent wind generated. that allows me to get more out of sail and board as a unit.

if one wishes to use a smaller sail to get out then surf with a less useful tool in hand, then perhaps a smaller sail will appeal. up to the user.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jackjj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One interesting sail that has not been mentioned is a custom sail made by Hot Sails called the Summer Freak. I own the largest 7.5meter version .
This sail is very much cut like a standard Laser Dinghy Sail requiring a long boom and with a big lower draft , with three short luff battens. It is absolutely fantastic for gusty lake sailing on an SUP ( I have a Bic Jungle) or on old school longboards ( I have a Mistral Superlight and old Mistral Maui) . It is the best sail I have found for getting moving in under 10mph winds on an SUP and longboards and is very controllable in 12-18mph by adjusting outhaul , very similar to a Laser Dinghy sail . The downside is that is requires a longer boom then most of us have and I had to buy a longer boom. Here is some info from a variety of folks who have used the sail and a video of the sail in action . Although not the best sail of course for planing winds , the fact that it actually is controllable in those kinds of winds is really helpful .

http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3588
http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3818
windowsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jingebritsen"]this is not the kona one. nor is the board in "wave-sailing made easy."

this is the kona 11'5" renamed the curve 11'5" [quote/]

Thx again jingebritsen for your expertise, comments. Ditto for others who appear here and in other discussions.

Mildly interested in the Sea Lion, but suspect it is not a good beginner wave SUP. Liking the 10'0" X 34" Starboard WINDSUP WHOPPER ELECTRIC / ASAP. http://star-board-sup.com/2015/products/windsup-10x34-whopper/# I WS with Starboard Carves, so have a degree of comfort with the brand. BIC 10'6 ACE-TEC Wind looks good (robust) but kinda heavy @ 13.5 KG. Whopper is 11.5 KG. Don't know if 2 KG matters too much here?? (Tho board weight always seems to make a huge difference as you progress.)

Flat water SUP on flat days @ Harrison Lake in BC. SUP small waves in Mexico next winter. WindSUP small waves with Aerotech WindSUP sail/rig and switch to reg WS sail/board as per la fuerza del viento. Use as a longboard for light days @ Harrision. Teaching grandkids (son-in-laws?) to WS & SUP in BC and Bahia de Banderas. Fun WS and SUP for adult daughters who learned WS beginner basics back in Manitoba @ Jessica Lake.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Windsup wind range Reply with quote

Hi!

I weigh 83 kg and because of the prevailing conditions here , I normally sail in 10-15 knts winds.( more on the 10-12 knts side !) on a Bic Core 293. For these winds even the largest sail I have ( a Severne Focus 8.5) seems to be barely sufficient to subplane, let alone plane.
I wouldn’t certainly go for a larger sail.

I read about the Aerotech Windsup. I think it will improve my sailing on the Bic., before I eventually buy a real longboard. What I particularly like in the Aerotech Windsup is its soft sail design, which allows to sail in real light winds with a much smaller size than the conventional sails. I can’t believe people can subplane with a 4.8 in the same light winds where I use an 8.5!).

My question is: which size should I buy size I should buy: on one hand, I’d be tempted to buy the max size, 5.8 m2, to cover for real light winds (about 10 knts or less) , but at the same time I wouldn’t want to be overpowered or destabilized too much if the winds rise to the upper limit of the sail capability, whatever it is and also my own comfortable range ( 15-18 knts).
Conversely, I wouldn’t want the 4.8 m2 to be too small when the winds hover on the lower range ( 10 knts).
In short, is it better to go for a 5.8 and OH it for stronger winds, if necessary, or buy a 4.8 and then OH for light winds ?
Also, what is approximately the max wind speed a 5.8 can comfortably handle vs the min. speed required to subplane with a 4.8 m2?

Thank you

Ittiandro
windowsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsup wind range Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
Hi!My question is: which size should I buy?

I will listen to these answers too. I am also tempted to get 5.8 cuz I have a lot of other sails to switch to if WindSUP gets overpowered - just don't know if they are tuff enuf/right for waves. (Ezzy + NP freeride sails with full rip-stop grid, 5.2 and up.)

Also wonder how that Aerotech WindSUP is to waterstart. - mitch
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: HSM SummerFreak, yes Reply with quote

The 7.5m SummerFreak will far out-perform the WindSUP, no doubt. It will plane, and quickly, but don't expect a looked in feeling. It's a great sail, but does have the original Windsurfer boom length to deal with. If you own an aluminum formula boom you will be OK, but at least 260 length is needed for tuning. In the waves the boom length is a killer, unless they are very small.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowsurfer wrote:
Mildly interested in the Sea Lion, but suspect it is not a good beginner wave SUP.

I have one, and I and observers were impressed how well it took to windSUP in both small and big Gorge swell with and w/o wind at the moment. How well that translates into meager/beginning wave paddleboarding I don't know. I presume you've watched the many excellent videos of it in action, but of course those riders are not beginners.
Or novices.
Or merely advanced.
Their leading rider MUST be pro or nearly pro level.
All I can comment on in that regard is its eagerness to snap very tight turns if so commanded even on little pieces of chop, let alone bigger swell, even when there's not enough wind at the moment to plane. But that's with a sail; how much harder that is in paddle mode I don't know, as my balance is not up to paddling in swell.

The only other tidbit I can offer regarding your stated purpose is that the
expert Gorge SUP team riders told me that SUPs under 14, preferably 16, feet were not usable in big Gorge swell because they ALWAYS pearled into the back of the next wave when going down a swell. My 8-3 SL apparently doesn't know the meaning of the word, "pearl", and I refuse to believe that any 16-foot SUP will snap turns like this thing does all day.

It suits my purposes -- 70/30 sail/paddle mode with exceptional maneuverability -- even better than I hoped for.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Windsup wind range Reply with quote

windowsurfer wrote:
ittiandro wrote:
Hi!My question is: which size should I buy?

I will listen to these answers too. I am also tempted to get 5.8 cuz I have a lot of other sails to switch to if WindSUP gets overpowered - just don't know if they are tuff enuf/right for waves. (Ezzy + NP freeride sails with full rip-stop grid, 5.2 and up.)

Also wonder how that Aerotech WindSUP is to waterstart. - mitch

I use a 6.0 soft sail, similar to my wife's 4.0 WindSUP when I'm sure I will not plane and when the harness is not useful because of low wind. I switch to a larger sail (7.5 or 9.0) way before being overpowered. I switch up when I think the larger sail might get me planing, or at least if I'm guessing that the harness will do much of the work.

The way I use it, waterstarting was never considered... I guess it will be harder than a regular sail.

For size selection, I think the criteria is to go as big as possible, as long as it stays very easy to handle at your weight and strength. For me (210#), a 6.0 is great. In flat water and low wind, I can uphaul it without an uphaul line! At 180#, a proportional sail would be a 5.1. If you have problems with your shoulders and upper body strength, you might want to try the 4.8 WindSUP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: