myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Storm Winds 2015
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Storm Winds 2015 Reply with quote

Anyone interested in trying to get some storm winds tomorrow 2/6/2015 in half moon bay?
surfdog55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yes but I am hoping Alameda will b happening so I don't half to drive too far and sail in that nasty water.
JT
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again - you guys seem to be missing the point of pre-frontal winds. The wind was today - before the font. Hence, pre-frontal wind. Yes, there will be wind tomorrow, combined with rain, and high bacteria levels…
damel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I get that its a pre frontal thing. I didn't make the trek to Half Moon and got a scary sunrise session at OB. It would have been an incredible off shore wind session if I was a straight up pro sailor but given my skill level and how rusty I am right now it was straight up scary.

I would not be keen on getting in the water at Alameda after we get a few inches of rain, especially after we haven't had any rain for over a month.

There is another front moving in Sat that might bring pre-frontal wind but it is slamming into this front and the water quality might be really bad.

A related topic -- I think Tomales Bay might be a really underrated winter sailing spot. Check out the wind graph yea that is straight up solid 30+ and there are no weeds there in the winter. If Saturday lines up I might give it a try.

2015-02-06_10-43-22.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.44 KB
 Viewed:  19445 Time(s)

2015-02-06_10-43-22.png

geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Tomales must be completely out of hand at the moment:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/417

iWindsurf.com.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  311.92 KB
 Viewed:  19442 Time(s)

iWindsurf.com.png

gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damel,

I didn't mean to be off putting, but I'm seeing too many guys that are not dialing into the storm winds and waiting too long. In my younger days, I'd sail the 50 knot gusting rain and wind, oft times to wind up swimming as the front hit and it went from 50 to zero in about 2 minutes. Hell, I've even sailed in a hail storm - twice. These days, I'll take a mellower 5.7 sesh with no rain and clean water over out of control chaos every time.

Yesterday, I snuck in an hour from 11:30 to 12:30. 5.7 - 92 liters. Underpowered at first and over powered by 12:30. High tide made riding along the inside jetty in butter flat water very near the rocks doable. The angle was such that getting out of the harbor mouth, again with high tide, very easy as well. Swell was running up to logo high (that's not 3rd ave logo - that's ocean logo). However, it was not too well organized and after 6 reaches, I busted back inside, did a few more runs along the inside jetty for a big contrast and then it was time to go back to work. Packed up, stayed dry, and thus, have no desire to push my immune system today.

As for OB, I'm curious. Side-off port tack? Do tell. I've only done Pescadero in SE. Yesterday, it might have worked there with the high tide. The swell might have been too big and scary, as you say. I'm not a pro either and pick my Pescadero days carefully, as that place has rocks and a shallow sand bar. In any event, I was short on time. With more, I might have gone exploring, since it blew all afternoon.
zpp66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years and years ago, I can't even remember how many years ago, I nailed an amazing post-frontal side off day at OB. Perfectly sunny, head high waves, it was the only side off day I've ever had there.
sailtildark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomales is great on a south wind. You can launch at Grassy Pt same as NW days. Bodega Harbor and Doran are south wind spots too.
damel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Damel,

I didn't mean to be off putting, ....

No I was totally agreeing with you. I am actually surprised the wind has stayed as strong as it has with the arrival of the rain. Sailing OB was all survival for me never really put myself in the pit. Wind was side shore from the south when I launched and then got a little light and went real side-off SE for a bit at which point I was glad I had my radio. Luckily it came back in with a fury at which point I was OPed on my 4.7. It was pure luck that I ended up back on the beach near my car I could barely see the parking lot through the white water on the outside.

This is what OB looks like during storm winds.... Not
https://vimeo.com/118936561

Looks like HMB ended up being pretty good wind meter was up there this morning. I am still interested in Tomales over HMB
https://www.facebook.com/matt.thompson156/posts/10101201175137207?pnref=story

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Surfline cam Friday, one lone windsurfer was sailing in and out at the Wander Inn area, swell 2-3', looking dead sideshore, NOT the usual side off up and down nonsense.
I've logged over 10 days there, only one pure sideshore, the rest gusty side off with a lot of off component.
Ocean Beach was kinder, although I did break the top of my mast there one day, after 10 OBSF surfer/windsurfers had sailed it successfully. They all went in by 2, I got off work at Wises then, ran home, got my stuff, and ran thru the Taraval tunnel to see all the guys already in except for PeeWee.
By the time I rigged and got going, solo, winds dying to S at 10-22, 5.5 sail, and at the outside set wave, around 8', the lip broke the top of my mast 4' from the tip, the sail flopped over, and I stupidly tried to jibe to head back in.
Jibing is hard with 4' of flopping sail/mast, at the outside of the impact zone, and soon got caught by a sneaker set. Drifted down to Irving St., fun times, and one of the current Wise employees picked me up in his white pickup truck and drove me back home.
Got over 50 NW days there, deceivingly nasty on the outside, smooth and slalom fun on the inside.
HMB, we used to almost always have hot clam chowder at Ida's restuarant, right where we launched. They loved us there until some incident about not paying in 1986.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: