myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Renting windsurf rigs in Bonaire
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windrockwater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Renting windsurf rigs in Bonaire Reply with quote

We are headed to Bonaire to escape the cold northeast. We will be there for almost 2 weeks. Renting gear from Jibe City for a small family is expensive! Very expensive.

Anyone have tips or suggestions as to how to maximize value? Are there other options down there? Can we negotiate Smile. Just trying to not break the bank!
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever thought about taking your own gear?
rlemmens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they'll work out a package deal. On the plus side, the gear they have works for there and, if something breaks or the wind changes, you just grab another sail or board. If you like flat, warm, sandy, shallow water you'll have the time of your life. It's probably not worth the headache of traveling with your own bag. A proper board bag is $300, a quiver bag is about $100. Then you have to worry if it'll fit in the flight from jamaica to bonaire. Plus you pay a baggage fee each way, and it's a bit dependent on who checks you in. Then there's no guarantee it'll arrive in one piece. It could cost well over $1000 and then you could get there and have your board in two pieces. I don't think, for your average free-sailor its worth the hassle.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that it's been years since I've checked in windsurfing gear on my flights to Maui and Kauai, but it used to cost $75 each way, and that was for a complete windsurfing package (board, to include a large gear bag for your masts, sails and other stuff). The weight limit was 75lbs for everything. For a number of years, I was taking two boards (2 bags), and the extra board was only $25 each way. That was before 911 and the current airline game of luggage fees, but I would still check into rates formally with the airlines before writing it off.
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people taking turns on one kit??
windrockwater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two adults and one kid for 2 weeks will cost over $2,000 bucks! Ouch.

$660/week per/adult
$250/week per/kid

plus insurance. Thats crazy man! Seems like the old highway robbery. Not alot of choice. I think bringing all my gear would be a major PIA.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windrockwater wrote:
Two adults and one kid for 2 weeks will cost over $2,000 bucks! Ouch.

$660/week per/adult
$250/week per/kid

You got that wrong. The $660 is rental for 14 days. Kids are $250/week, but you'll probably be able to get 2 weeks for $450. That would give you a total of $1770 without insurance. Flights to Bonaire are typically around $900 in the high season, or $2700 for two adults and one kid.

Bringing your own gear for 3 would probably cost you at least $900, with a pretty high chance that at least one set will get damaged or lost. With some bad luck at checkin, you may pay way more than that. Prices have gone up a lot since swchandler last checked in gear, and weight limits have gone down.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Yes, rentals are expensive, but... Reply with quote

Depends if you can windsurf for 3+ hours every single day of your vacation.

I rented several times at Jibecity, and it was 'check-in/check-out' - they logged my sessions and in the end applied the most reasonable rate. One time it was hourly rate, another time - daily rate.

Also, I'm surprised Jibecity doesn't give discounted rentals for beginners. In many places, it's about 50% of the cost of good rentals.

Finally, it's a high season and in the past JibeCity recommended equipment reservations.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here (in Bonaire) right now. There's Jibe City and Windsurf Place to rent from. They both have 2014, 2015 gear in every size you'll ever need here. "Highway robbery"? Not in the least. It's well worth it. Nobody is getting rich. Far from it.

If you bring your own gear you would ideally stay at Sorobon, which is right on the water (many people do this, I don't because between my wife and I we like the ability to choose from many different board and sail sizes, all rigged and ready to go all day, with people on shore waiting to help you in and out of the water.)

Everybody on this island will cut a deal with you if you ask nicely. For all Bonaire trips my wife and I start with Ann Phelan, a windsurfing travel agent who specializes in Bonaire and charges us (and you) nothing...she makes her money off of the vendors. This is her web site:

http://www.bonairecaribbean.com/

Jibe City often does fully book up in advance...Windsurf Place too but I think less so (because they open at 9AM while Jibe City opens at 8 on weekdays).

windrockwater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we just got back. Everything worked out pretty well. A few things to mention as tips/advice for those considering Bonaire:

We went last year during early March. No problem getting gear. We get there this year and go over to sign up for 2 week's gear at Jibe City. They say "do you have a reservation". I said no we didn't get a reservation last year. They said there was ABK clinics and were booked! My heart sank (I wouldn't go to Bonaire without windsurfing). Then they agreed to let us rent gear but only after ABK people got there stuff. Crisis averted. And there was no real issue getting what i needed. I sail big boards and sails anyway.

They also said it was high season and they no longer allow for non-consecutive day rental packages! You either commit to a total of up to a 14 day package or pay daily rates. But no non-consecutive packages like we had last year.

The gear was very good. Not great. The boards are getting pretty knocked up (in their main fleet). Sails are also very good. Some are getting banged up (small holes, tears, etc). There were alot of people there sailing. A few days it was almost crowded on the water with people zipping all over (maybe 40-50?). But overall, not a big issue. I think the place is just growing and more people are using it because it is so freaking awesome!

Lots of people brought their own gear. Seemed like maybe half of the sailors. There were lots of pros there (or some REALLY good sailors).

Windsurf Place seems good too. A little less money and maybe a little less gear.

I am not complaining. All worked out. Gear ended up costing $1300 total for us. (I sailed 12 out of 14 days. The wife/Son alternated on a 'share package'. We couldn't all sail at the same time but it worked okay.). I could buy some new gear for that price. But then again, being in Bonaire in 2 weeks in Snowy February = priceless!

By the way, my son went from shaky to totally confident in the 2 weeks. A lesson with his new hero (Caeser) helped, along with the shallow water. He really picked it up and now wants to go faster and faster. Hopefully he will still like it when i take him in 50 degree northeast water!

That's my rant. Bonaire is great! If you scuba/snorkel and/or windsurf, its the best!!! If you don't, i really wouldn't go. And go to the Klein Bonaire day trip. Totally worth it. Hope this helps someone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: