myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Renting windsurf rigs in Bonaire
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windrockwater wrote:

Windsurf Place seems good too. A little less money and maybe a little less gear.

Windsurf Place is excellent. There are two rental centers on Lac Bay (not just Jibe City) and they are next door to each other. Jibe City has been a little more popular of late...they open an hour earlier than Windsurf Place...but they are both good.

Anyone planning on renting from Jibe City should have reservations in advance. They do a good job of not taking too many people, which means you can get shut out if you arrive with no rezzie. Same at Windsurf Place though Jibe City seems to sell out sooner lately.

http://www.bonairewindsurfplace.com/
http://www.jibecity.com/

inf2003

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windrockwater. You had said in your rant that if you windsurf or scuba dive Bonaire is awesome. You said if you don’t you would not go. I am an low intermediate windsurfer who has not windsurfed much in the last 10 years. I can plane in the straps, Could waterstart 10 years ago, use the harness, tack and pivot jibe. Long story but I run my own company, kids, a wife who became sick with cancer for years and eventually passed away etc. I also have not been on vacation in over 10 years. Its been a rough road.

I am planning a short, probably 4 day vacation with a girl friend who is not a windsurfer the beginning of may. I would love to get a few windsurfing days in and therefore would love to go to Bonaire but the trip is a surprise 50th birthday present for her. I want it to be about her. Is Bonaire a mistake for some reason if she doesn’t windsurf. I heard this is other stuff to do, has great restaurants etc. I was wondering why you made that statement. Is may still high season there? Also I know nothing about the place and planned on calling the Peconic puffins travel agent Ann Phelan. Also should I be looking at Windsurf place or Jibe city. The time they open does not matter to us.

Thanks for your help
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she's into diving, she'll be in heaven. The place is perfect for windsurfing in flat water, but it's even better known for diving.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise against a windsurfing vacation if the real focus of the trip is your non-windsurfing girlfriend. In my experience, a man's dedication and focus on watersports is often time spent away from home and the relationship, and that doesn't always go over well with the ladies. A lot of that can depend on how needy they are, and whether or not they have their own personal interests to tend to. In the end, you probably know best how much leeway you have in the relationship. Still though, it's only a 4 day vacation. If you were planning a longer trip, the windsurfing diversion would be much easier to pull off.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inf2003: First of all, have a conversation with Ann Phelan. She and you can discuss what your girlfriend likes, what's available there, what the latest is. As for the rest:

The restaurants are indeed excellent. Snorkeling (which does not require training or expensive gear) is good fun, and amazing in Bonaire. We have done nature kayak tours and had a great time. Lastly, Bonaire is the place for people who do not windsurf to try windsurfing. It is unlike all other windsurf venues in this regard. I have seen and know women of all ages up to 60 who have gone to Bonaire with their husbands, family etc, with no intention of windsurfing, who after a few days of watching people learn in crystal clear thigh deep warm water, have decided to try it themselves. Some kept it up, others only sailed there (and sailed there again on subsequent trips.) I agree that bringing a nonwindsurfing partner on a windsurfing vacation is generally a bust. But if you're going to do it, Bonaire is the place.

Call Ann. It costs you nothing.

inf2003

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, Good advice. I will call Ann. I am not looking to windsurf every day for every minute. I was just hoping to get an hour or two in for a day or two. She wont mind sitting on the beach if it is not just windblown miserable conditions. (for her) She mostly likes to lay on the beach. I was also looking for things for the two of us to do together like the like the nature Kayak tour you spoke of and snorkeling. (she doesn't scuba dive) Also we are looking for good restaurants and night life for fun evenings.

Its basically just an overdue short getaway for 2 single parents with hectic lives and way to many responsibility's. Also a good birthday present.

I went to St. Martin about 15 years ago and that was perfect as far as restaurants and things to do but there was no windsurfing at all.

Is Bonaire expensive compared to other Caribbean islands?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your girlfriend likes the beach, she may love Bonaire. The beach at the windsurf places is small, but there are windsurfers to watch, and that can be amazing at times. The beach bar at Jibe city is my favorite of all bars I have ever seen.

I think prices on Bonaire are on par with many other islands; St. Martin may even be a bit higher. There are fewer flights to Bonaire than to places like Jamaica or Aruba, so tickets can be a bit more, but it's usually not much. Go, windsurf a bit, snorkel, do the glass bottom kayak tour, and both of you will enjoy the trip. The only thing I'd think about would be to stay longer - you'll hate to leave!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also it's best to book your restaurant reservations before you fly down...the good places are popular. Ann will do that for you (no charge). I'm past due to blog about this, but the best restaurants are Cappricio, At Sea, Mona Lisa. There are many other spots that Ann can tell you about.

Pricewise I'm only familiar with Aruba and Barbados...I'd say the prices are comparable. T

windrockwater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inf2003 wrote:
Windrockwater. You had said in your rant that if you windsurf or scuba dive Bonaire is awesome. You said if you don’t you would not go. I am an low intermediate windsurfer who has not windsurfed much in the last 10 years. I can plane in the straps, Could waterstart 10 years ago, use the harness, tack and pivot jibe. Long story but I run my own company, kids, a wife who became sick with cancer for years and eventually passed away etc. I also have not been on vacation in over 10 years. Its been a rough road.

I am planning a short, probably 4 day vacation with a girl friend who is not a windsurfer the beginning of may. I would love to get a few windsurfing days in and therefore would love to go to Bonaire but the trip is a surprise 50th birthday present for her. I want it to be about her. Is Bonaire a mistake for some reason if she doesn’t windsurf. I heard this is other stuff to do, has great restaurants etc. I was wondering why you made that statement. Is may still high season there? Also I know nothing about the place and planned on calling the Peconic puffins travel agent Ann Phelan. Also should I be looking at Windsurf place or Jibe city. The time they open does not matter to us.

Thanks for your help

Did you ever go to Bonaire with your girlfriend? If so, tell us a little how it went. Curious about your experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: