myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast upgrade: Amex Crosscut 80 (drop shape)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find strange that the rigging chart for Ezzy mast is giving 430 as preferred with 400 bottom 430 top also possible for your 5.5.

This would lead me to believe that the sail will be happier with a shorter mast, not a longer one. On the Ezzy forums, they also seem to favor putting more extension than having too long (and stiff) of a mast. If you have access to a long extension, (must be easy to borrow if you don't have one) you could try your 400 mast on your 5.5.

I don't have a sail that could benefit from trying my 430 bot with my 490 top, so I never tried. They say it should be ok, maybe not great.
antonputman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your though Sailboarder.

I was also thinking this when I got the North 400 mast.
When I picked up the 4.7 and 5.5 Panthers I actually rigged the 5.5 on the grass with the seller with the 400 mast and a 42cm extension. It looked OK but I am a bit paranoid with that much extension in a 100% carbon mast and never sailed it like that.

The specs say
Luff min-max: 436-437
1st Choice suggested mast: 430/25/21
2nd. Choice suggested mast: 460/25/25
Ezzy Mast: 430 / 430

I believe my North Platnium SDM mast is 400/25/19
So I let go the idea.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDMs are a bit stiffer usually so I believe that your 400 will work better for your 5.5 then a 460 -the heavy feel of the too stiff of a mast will go /SDMs are a bit fragile though/. Just by keeping in mind the 2 markers that I wrote about already find the correct extension.
370B+430T=400 may work because smaller sails are not that bend sensitive /I would still avoid though/, any 430/490 combinations will be terrible on the other hand -way to stiff top or bottom for a bend sensitive big sail -bad idea.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputman wrote:
Thanks for your though Sailboarder.

I was also thinking this when I got the North 400 mast.
When I picked up the 4.7 and 5.5 Panthers I actually rigged the 5.5 on the grass with the seller with the 400 mast and a 42cm extension. It looked OK but I am a bit paranoid with that much extension in a 100% carbon mast and never sailed it like that.

I wonder why you are paranoid of this. Long extensions could be problematic if they are inserted a long way in the mast. This prevent the mast from bending, maybe create a stress point and lead to mast breakage. This happens if you use a 48 cm extension at 0cm, (insert it all the way) not at 42 cm.

You should try it since trying to predict mast-sail fit seems close to impossible!
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did good by selling the 3S imo-it doesn't fit much in your sailing progression and conditions. You'll get yourself a proper multifin wave board /or two Wink / one day. It would be easier and possibly cheaper in the long run by focusing on the fine side of windsurfing like waveriding and freestiling both of wich better fit the type of waterstate you are sailing in.Plan on converting your sail quiver and work on efficiency by trying to have fun with smaller sails which means you don't have to be planing all the time. Youll have new challenges like underpowered waterstars, powering up to jump and slowing down to wait for a wave, tight maneuvres, etc but with TOW things will come into place.
Take it easy and have fun Smile
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
I wonder why you are paranoid of this. Long extensions could be problematic if they are inserted a long way in the mast. This prevent the mast from bending, maybe create a stress point and lead to mast breakage. This happens if you use a 48 cm extension at 0cm, (insert it all the way) not at 42 cm.

Sailboarder,

You are looking at the wrong area of concern I think. The area on the mast where the boom is expected to be attached is usually beefed up to handle the higher stress. Based on where you place your boom running a super long extension can place your boom out of this area thus voiding the warranty. So if you do run a long extension, run a lower than normal boom. Long extension & high boom attachment runs greater risk of your mast failing just above the boom.

Coachg
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you are saying, but wouldn't shifting the entire mast
up 43 cms shift the reinforced area up 43cms? Seems like what you would want to do is run the boom higher, not lower, to move it back into
the reinforced area.

Just wondering,

-Craig

coachg wrote:

Sailboarder,

You are looking at the wrong area of concern I think. The area on the mast where the boom is expected to be attached is usually beefed up to handle the higher stress. Based on where you place your boom running a super long extension can place your boom out of this area thus voiding the warranty. So if you do run a long extension, run a lower than normal boom. Long extension & high boom attachment runs greater risk of your mast failing just above the boom.

Coachg

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
I find strange that the rigging chart for Ezzy mast is giving 430 as preferred with 400 bottom 430 top also possible for your 5.5.

This would lead me to believe that the sail will be happier with a shorter mast, not a longer one. On the Ezzy forums, they also seem to favor putting more extension than having too long (and stiff) of a mast. If you have access to a long extension, (must be easy to borrow if you don't have one) you could try your 400 mast on your 5.5.

I don't have a sail that could benefit from trying my 430 bot with my 490 top, so I never tried. They say it should be ok, maybe not great.

the 2009 Panther 5.5 has only a 460 or 430 as options, with a luff of 437, using a 400 on this would have far too much extension IMO, a 400/430 combo would want a 22cm extension, this is reasonable, but I think the 400 bottom would be not as good as a 430/430. The newer designs Elite, Taka, Tigers do have option and in some cases recommended combo masts. I would not fuss much with a 2009. I have played with extensions, combos, even using a North RDM extendo, its possible to get close to the intended feel/range to the recommended mast, but not as good.

I would have a serious look at Maverx MASTs, they are constant curve and will work wonderful with Ezzys, price wise no clue if better in the UK £ wise VS an Ezzy.

http://www.maverx.com/
http://www.ezzy.com/allyearsezzys/2009/specs/panther_09.htm

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the rigging guide, for Ezzy masts, preferred is 430, while option is 400+430. I feel a 400 might be a better fit than a 460. OP also said it looked ok rigged, why not try it unless boom clips on a weak mast area?

http://www.ezzy.com/sails/pdfs/2009/pantherrigging.pdf
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmon guys stop kidding around-a 460 mast on a 5.5 sail is just ridiculous! Use the 400 untill you get a proper one and problem is solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: